No announcement yet.

Project Zombie - 3B back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked the calipers up with some simple brackets from lance on forum (Recall). The brackets are 40mm x 15mm ally bar with two lots of holes for the caliper and the carrier. I have a cad drawing with the dimensions. Really not sure which direction to go with the turbo. Possibly Holset for 550-600. More than likely journal-based whatever it is to keep costs low with water/meth for a bit of extra protection.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Spring update....

Car has been off the road since the back end of 2014 waiting for me to get around to changing another gearbox. This WILL be the last 5 speed box I replace and it will have to be a 6 speed conversion or something stronger

While the engine has been out to replace the box and check the clutch, I got around to doing a few jobs which have been overdue for some time.

3B Head has been replaced with a ABY head. Took weeks to strip, clean and lightly port.

RS2 manifold has gone and been replaced with a tubular jobbie.

Reversed AAN inlet has been replaced with a dual plenum alternative. Mainly to allow me to go back to the standard location for PAS pump. Addition of a phenolic spacer.

Refurbished the propshaft with new bearing and cleaned/greased CV's.

Replaced inner tie rod bushed with Bambridge items.

A general tidy up and check of cables in the engine bay and replacement of any dodgy connectors.

New braided turbo oil and water lines.

Change or cam cover colour to freshen up the bay.

Still to do....

Fabricate new downpipe, Fabricate air inlet to turbo and output piping to intercooler, Mount and plumb in new oil cooler, Fabricate bases for my new seats and get centre sections recovered in black alcantara, Remove dash to replace heater matrix and get it flocked, Recover headlining...

Other stuff I've forgotten

Target to get her back on the road is August and looking forwards to ADI

Pics to keep you interested!

91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Looking good steve, the spacer will give you earthing issues though, btdt in the past

Comment

• Originally posted by david1980 View Post
          Looking good steve, the spacer will give you earthing issues though, btdt in the past
          Thanks! I will have a think about the earthing if there are likely to be issues. I could always drill and tap a new hole on the head, rather than use the earthing points on the inlet.
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Looks like a busy list Steve, out of interest where did you get the centre bearing for your prop from?

Look fwd to seeing it at ADI!!!
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• or use the bolts at the back of the head for the rocker cover like the 10v's do

Comment

• Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                Looks like a busy list Steve, out of interest where did you get the centre bearing for your prop from?

Look fwd to seeing it at ADI!!!
                I just went for the Febi BMW item. Picked it up off eBay. Not as substantial as the OE item, but the bearing in mine was noisy. The original rubber was actually ok and wasn't ripped/perished after all these years.
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Where did you pick up the inlet? Is it a branded one or DIY? Worth giving it a good once over, as they need to be done right!
                  Cheers'en, AndyC
                  1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• DIY most likely, but looks to be well constructed and nicely slotted. I came off a motor which was running 500+
                    91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Small update....

I've put in some serious hours into getting her back together for ADI recently. Slow progress and still much to do, however I recon I've cracked the back of it now.
                        Most of the fabrication work is complete, so it's bolt everything back on and see what breaks, leaks or falls off

19 row oil cooler, mounted in front of the main rad

A brace for the turbo

80mm Throttle body...will have to wait to see whether I revert back to standard after the test drive

New seats and frames. Need to loose some weight to get in and out of them

Hope to finish the downpipe today and I might be tempted to put the side exit back on Then it's the throttle cable and fuel pipes. Should be ready to fire up this week
                        91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Downpipe done. Needs some heat wrap to hide my welds!

91 Modded 3B

Comment

• All looking good there, Steve. Nice seats

I like the WG tube entering the DP at an angle. I was thinking this was a good ideol
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

• Good progress and some nice additions.

What exhaust manifold is that?

Why the 80mm TB?

Speeds are great seats, nice and comfy, supportive but still easy to get in and out, less knee dents in the door card and centre console from bracing
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                                All looking good there, Steve. Nice seats

I like the WG tube entering the DP at an angle. I was thinking this was a good ideol
                                Can't wait to drive it with the additional support. The RS2 style seats were very nice, but sat too high in the car for my liking. WG pipe took some fettling to get right. you can see from the number of welds
                                91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                                X