• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
    Good progress and some nice additions.

What exhaust manifold is that?

Why the 80mm TB?

Speeds are great seats, nice and comfy, supportive but still easy to get in and out, less knee dents in the door card and centre console from bracing
    Manifold was made by a member on here - vicdas4 It's nicely made and has a lovely collector. He's Norbitron's mateif you want to contact him.

Inlet came with the throttle body already on it, so it's easier to leave it on if it works OK. I would have to neck the inlet pipe down to accommodate the standard TB.
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• And dressed for the occasion....

91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Well she's running, MOT'd

It's great to have her back on the road, but I have a good few niggles to iron out before she'll be a pleasure to drive...

I have a nasty vibration between 2K and 3.5K. I thought it might be exhaust related, but I got her on the ramps today and can't see anything obvious rubbing anywhere. I rebuilt the propshaft and used the original marks to align it when refitting. I think it may need checking/balancing. Anyone know whether they are sensitive to being moved/refitted? I made sure a lined up the spines so it went on the same as it came off.

My AFR gauge is showing 15.x at idle and high numbers when running. I've not had the map looked at and I've changed the exhaust manifold and inlet manifold. I wouldn't have thought this would dramatically affect mixture....possibly a red herring and its the Bosch lambda playing up. EGT's are fine and it pulls well.

Throttle response is very crisp with the new inlet and throttle body. I'm really happy with that mod and it allows me to use the standard setup for belts, so no more issues with throwing 'V' belts.

Windows are inoperative and I can't find the wire which must have been moved when I was fiddling behind the dash to fit the new throttle cable. I hate auto electrics! Dash has to come out anyway to fit a new heater matrix and I'll get it flocked at the same time. Sunroof works, so I can get some fresh air!

New seats are great, if a little on the tight side. Need to loose some weight anyway...

I've managed to add a few dings and scratches to her during the rebuild, so it's either fresh paint or I'll call it character

Can't wait for ADI!
        91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Looking good

What sort of AFR gauge are you using? If it's Innovate they do benefit from regular re-calibrations?
          sigpic
          1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
          1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
          1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• Hi Andy, 14point7 system with a Bosch probe. It was all spot on before the car came to bits. It's in a new downpipe but I can't imagine that should affect it. I assume all the sensors will be attempting to trim the system to 14.7 at ilde, however it just sits at 15.3 - 15.6. I will try recallibrating.

Oh, I still have your crank locking tool Do you want me to post it back to you or hang on until ADI? Thanks for the use of it (again)
            91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Just bring it to ADI
              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyP View Post
                Just bring it to ADI
                Will do. I owe you beer.

Oh and thanks to Chris for the box, I think I got it from him at the last ADI or the one before. It's silent and shifts well
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                  Will do. I owe you beer.

Oh and thanks to Chris for the box, I think I got it from him at the last ADI or the one before. It's silent and shifts well
                  Funny, he was only asking me about that the other day!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Good work, very tidy, just need to get that battery out of the engine bay

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Prop shaft vibes would be speed related, not RPM related?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        Prop shaft vibes would be speed related, not RPM related?
                        Agreed John. Been driving today and I think it's the solid engine mounts and the new downpipe/exhaust resonating.
                        91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Ah, yes, engines are rubber mounted for a reason.
                          My coupe felt like a real quality motor until I started "improving" it

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Small update....

Car is running very well. Found this issue with the AFR meter showing 15.x most of the time....missing 12V supply to the Lambda probe heater...oops

Finally got the windows working after they have been inop for months....missing 12V supply to the relay....oops

Looks like I was a little eager pulling the old heated, electric Recaros out and took the 12V feed wires with them.

Got bored with the far too quiet exhaust note and needed to take the exhaust off to locate the source of some vibration. Decided to go side exit again as I need to clear the wax out of my ears and love the 5cyl motor on the overrun. Can't locate any suitably sized oval stainless tube, so spent some time on Sunday at the bench. With a clean up it should be perfect. Just need to fabricate the transition now from 3" round.

Next job is rear subframe off for a refurb, diff seals and rear top mounts. Lots of fun on a cold winters night
                            91 Modded 3B

Comment

• Silly boy
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                                Silly boy
                                I thought so too, however just been down to Castle Combe track to have it noise tested....94db It's actually quieter than it was with the full lenght exhaust and 14" rear box At least I know I can take it onto pretty much any track in the UK. I think the lowest max is db is 95 and most tracks are 100db.

91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                                X