Jsws3 UR Quattro money pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GazzaG60
    i can understand that too however surely its in the best interest of both parties for the builder to be firm and ensure its done correctly (or be paid up and release the part finished work) to ensure reputations and standards are upheld. especially with the overall package and standard thats to be attained.

i have an issue with corner cutting for whatever reason. human nature means if we cut corners once successfully we are more likely to do it again.
    Yes I agree. But generally there is a reason that smart people do stupid things. I'd the owner insisted in having something done that was against the advice of the engine builder then the engine builder has 2 options.

1. Do the work and tell him it's not the right way to do it and no warranty is given.

2. Walk away and risk someone else doing the work and then when it goes wrong you still get the blame for not building an engine that was future proofed, or even other persons work being portrayed as your own.

So it's not a easy win for the builder both ways.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hmm, can't find anything related to this car on S2forum facebook..?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Yes, on s2forum group on facebook
        Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

• There is another identical engine which suffered damage I’ve not seen this my self but John told me jnl built that engine as well. At end of day there’s right or wrong you can’t bodge something just because you think it’s ok to do it. I wouldn’t want my engine builder to do that as I would go down there and say I’m taking my engine to another reputable builder end of. People like this shouldn’t be allowed to touch a engine in first place

Comment

• Originally posted by mac2226
            There is another identical engine which suffered damage I’ve not seen this my self but John told me jnl built that engine as well. At end of day there’s right or wrong you can’t bodge something just because you think it’s ok to do it. I wouldn’t want my engine builder to do that as I would go down there and say I’m taking my engine to another reputable builder end of. People like this shouldn’t be allowed to touch a engine in first place
            The question is was jnl asked to do whatever was needed to give clearance with the pistons installed, no matter if it was the right way to do it. Or was the engine left to him, out of the car to be done properly. If the later (which I doubt) then jnl is definitely at fault. If it was the first option, the owner got what he asked for, a bodge.

As for a second engine that may of failed, there are plenty of failed tuned Audi engines around. I have blew one up myself, due to oil issues, and my lack of understanding as to the delicate nature of the breather system on these engines. If someone had built that engine for me (I built it myself) it wouldn't of been his fault, it was my fault as to how it was implemented in my case. You are your own warranty with a tweeked car. Asking for the impossible to be done, usually results in disasterous results. No one would reasonably request this work to be done, pistons in engine, without realising the potential risks where high. It's so obvious.

I have no skin in this game BTW, just it doesn't add up to me what's been portrayed. 2 sides to all stories.

Comment

• John doesn’t cut corners with his projects. If the so called professional in question had a shred of integrity, professionalism or honesty they’d sack up, be a man, apologise and make ammends. The second engine in question was a clone of this one and suffered the exact same fate.
              Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404
                John doesn’t cut corners with his projects. If the so called professional in question had a shred of integrity, professionalism or honesty they’d sack up, be a man, apologise and make ammends. The second engine in question was a clone of this one and suffered the exact same fate.
                I understand that, what I have seen if this project is top class in every way. But what I have seen of jnl work is also top, and he has ballanced 2 bottom ends for me and built 2 heads, one of which to race spec hydraulic and all his work has been great, so that's why I'm confused. What's the story on the second engine, was its pistons ground in situ too?

Comment

• Do you need to have a Facebook account to see any of this on Facebook? I can't see anything on the S2Forum page?
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• This is something that happens every now and then in the world of having someone build you an engine. No matter who is in the right or wrong everybody loses. One bloke with a broken engine, one bloke with a broken reputation.

Comment

• Originally posted by jsol View Post
                      This is something that happens every now and then in the world of having someone build you an engine. No matter who is in the right or wrong everybody loses. One bloke with a broken engine, one bloke with a broken reputation.
                      Yes this is true but this time he was wrong and could of done the job correct in first place as he was informed that these pistons needed machining as the pockets aren’t deep enough God knows why he didn’t listen and used a dremel to attack the pistons instead now tell me if this is a bodge.

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                        I understand that, what I have seen if this project is top class in every way. But what I have seen of jnl work is also top, and he has ballanced 2 bottom ends for me and built 2 heads, one of which to race spec hydraulic and all his work has been great, so that's why I'm confused. What's the story on the second engine, was its pistons ground in situ too?

Des I am in no way a engine builder buy trade that’s why Tonks and Andy p helped me with the 2.5 and then Brian went to work and removed jnl engine nightmare engine .
                        So if Brian and andy took the block apart I’m sure as Dam it it’s as bad as it looks !
                        As for Jp he is all smoke and mirrors anything that you may have seen that looks good was not done but his hand and I know this as fact !
                        Because over the 5 years or he let a lot of his secrets out to me .

And as for grinding pistons in thd block on two cars the same night tells you he is no engine builder as he would of had to start from scratch on both mine and Adams engine as there identical .

Vrs has adams car and mi d went to Tonks.

And all parts cams ect was supplyed before the build build was started .

And the the first thing jonus told Jp before building v to take 1.5mm out the valve pockets on a cnc machibd if using wossner witch he failed to do .

And If that’s not enof for you des you have his number ring him your self .

Comment

• What cams have you been running as Wössner valve pockets needed machining?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                          Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                          BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                          BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
                            What cams have you been running as Wössner valve pockets needed machining?
                            Jonus race cams Early boost as he calls them

Comment

• Originally posted by mac2226 View Post

Yes this is true but this time he was wrong and could of done the job correct in first place as he was informed that these pistons needed machining as the pockets aren’t deep enough God knows why he didn’t listen and used a dremel to attack the pistons instead now tell me if this is a bodge.
                              Your right it seems. A huge bodge. Going to town with a dremel on the piston for clearance is crazy. Even a backyarder wouldn't do that (I wouldn't).

Comment

• Every step in building the 2.2L from j#L racing he cut more corners then Colin McRae
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 20 photos.
                                Last edited by jsws3; 5 June 2018, 22:47.

Comment

Working...
                                X