Audi 4000CS Quattro 1986 2.2T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by giorgos3155 View Post
    hello.do you sell the car or the engine with transmission etc?
    No.

Comment

Well, it's been a while since the last update. Getting the engine block to crack on me took some motivation out of me, searched around for a block but have had a hard time finding one. So my friend and I took the desiscion to try welding it, or getting it soldered, because if that fails it's not really worse than it is. After a couple of tries he got it holding over 1,5 bar when pressurizing it before he blew the mockup head gasket. So today I got the crankshaft and pistons installed.
      But I haven't been all away from the car since the block cracked, I've installed stiffer valvesprings and lightweight retainers and swapped valve stem seals, swapped the ignition lock and put the interior together. I've also rebuilt the rear calipers as I had the handbrake sticking on one of them, but I realized that the hand brake cables were at fault so I should have new ones here any day now. I also put new rear dampers on as the previous ones were leaking, noticed both top mounts were bad, so I've got new ones ordered along with some engine and transmission mounts, still waiting on them.

Here's some pics.

Can barely notice the weld.

Everything set up, cleaned and ready to get installed.

Ready for the crankshaft.

Lubed up and ready for some torqueing.

Pistons installed.

Interior put together, except the stereo

Wrestling with some valve springs.

Doing some grinding.

New shiny and most important, lightweight stuff.

Comment

Well, got the short block mostly ready to go into the engine now, just need to torque the rear sealing flange when getting the block off the engine stand and get the flywheel and clutch fitted.
        Got a package from Germany today with new hand brake cables and some other stuff.

A oil splash guard from early 20VT engines, I thought it could be worth a try as it should be keeping getting big part of the oil to the rear at heavy acceleration.

New rubber part for the oil suction pipe. The old one fell apart when taking it off to get the pipe cleaned.

Did a mockup of the engine to see how it all comes together.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Nice! This is soon ready for mapping? Heard some rumors...

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
            Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
            BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
            BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

I finally recieved the package from 034 Motorsport which I ordered on easter. It consisted of some hose fittings and hoses, engine and gearbox mounts, top mounts for the rear dampers. Mounted the rear end up today and only need to bleed the calipers and adjust the handbrake cables and it's done. And I also swapped over the engine and gearbox mounts.
              In the weekend a friend and I changed the downpipe a bit to fit with the new exhaust manifold and made up the wastegatepipe.

Track Density vs Motorsport spec.

This is what the track density ones looked like.

Stiffer gearbox mounts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Laaf View Post

A oil splash guard from early 20VT engines, I thought it could be worth a try as it should be keeping getting big part of the oil to the rear at heavy acceleration.
                Can you confirm if this fits under the larger metal splash guard from AAN/ABY's?
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

It fits no problem.

Comment

Been getting on with this, got the turbo housings separated so I could reclock the center part to get the oil return hose free from the chassis. So I got the hoses made up, and mounted the exhaustmanifold, turbo, wastegate with all the tricky nuts to the cylinder head on the bench today, so tomorrow I'll get the head on its proper place. I've also started on routing some wires and mounting stuff around the engine, getting closer to seeing this car running. I'm hoping to see positive oil pressure sometime very soon.

Comment

Well well, got the head lifted onto the block yesterday with the help of another pair of hands. Only had time to thread in the ARP studs before I had to go to work for a couple of hours so the next time I went to the garage was today.
                      I torqued the head, bolted the downpipe to the turbo and wastegate, fitted the camshafts, timing belt, valve cover and lots of other things. Even got so far I filled the engine up with oil and gave it some bursts with the starter with the fuel pump fuse out and the ECU in Estonia. Either way, no oil pressure. Going to grab a syringe and a bit of hose tomorrow and shoot some oil into the oil pump through the temp sensor hole.

034 Lightweight tappets in and oiled.

Camshafts oiled in.

In the process of torqueing the camshafts.

Even more stuff fitted.

Comment

Totally cool project!

Comment

I've been going on with the project some, I've filled the coolant and oil and cranked the engine so I had oil pressure. When filling the coolant the thermostat cover was leaking quite badly so I had to get a new one, now it is leak free. Tonight I fitted the intercooler and it's piping and pressure tested the setup to 3,5 bar, I had a leak at one hose clamp which got fixed but then I found another one, it seemed to leak some air around the throttle valve axle, but when wiggling it, it stopped.

Comment

Nice! Looks like new

Comment

Well well. Got the ECU from Dmitri with a base map and 3 bar MAP sensor and swapped resistor. Got the oil pressure built up before putting in the fuel pump fuse. This was a bit pain in the *** as it didn't want to build any at first when running it on the starter. I had to take out the oil temp sensor and feed the pump and suction pipe through the backdoor with a syringe and a bit of PVC hose.
                              Then when I had oil pressure I put the fuel pump fuse in and gave it a go, took a little while to get fuel pressure, but it started all fine in the end. No leaks on the engine side of it, but had to tighten a hose clamp on the hose coming from the fuelpump, had a little pool of fuel on the floor
                              But then I noticed I got some smoke from the exhaust when revving it a little, stopped the engine and noticed it was dripping a little bit of oil from the first v-band joint on the exhaust. Well looked into things and came to that the turbo needed a oil inlet restrictor. So on saturday a friend and I made 2 restrictors, 1,5mm and 2mm. It seems as the 2mm did the job. Took the car for a spin when I had the brakes bled one final time and left som small clouds of oilsmoke behind me when giving it a little throttle But it seemed to not smoke any more on the way home, so I guess it could have been som leftovers from first start that burned away.
                              So today I'm going to look if it's any oil in the exhaust joint anymore and trace down a vacuum leak as it has small trouble holding idle when lifting of from 2000 rpmish when coming to an intersection for example.

But here's a clip I took yesterday when fireing it up with only the downpipe connected.

Edit: Hmm, bedding it in doesn't seem to work out right now, so heres the link.

http://youtu.be/kcuBvF2inx4

Comment

Looking good (and sounds too). You still sleep your nights?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                                X