My Audi S2 coupè Version 2 - full restore - Red rocket from Norway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
    Yep - busy busy busy. you must have some advice on what the best brand of grinding disc / flap wheel is, do you find one lasts longer than others?
    I use 3 types of grinding discs. But they are used for diffrent jobs.

The one on the left is really hard on the surface, its best to use the edge and not the flat side.
    The one in the middle is with sandpaper and its the best for grinding big areas.
    The one on the right is for paint and rust. It will worn out very quickly.
    I just bye the cheapest discs i can find. I don't think there is much diffrence on cheap and expensive.

Comment

Im very slow with the updates. Ive been working some on the car.

Zinc primer underneath where the welding heat is.

Same on this on.

Welded in place.

This is the original on the other side of the car.

Parts! 8 CV boots, rear wheel bearings, slave cylinder for the clutch and 2 rear ball joints.

Comment

fair enough!

I've gone off cheaper branded spinning abrasvies/wire wheels after an ebay special wire wheel i was using with my angle grinder became old and started shedding bristles, one of them got stuck in my nose like a spear. Good job eye protection was worn - that would have been bad news for an eyeball.

Comment

Powder coated parts!!

Comment

fair enough!

I've gone off cheaper branded spinning abrasvies/wire wheels after an ebay special wire wheel i was using with my angle grinder became old and started shedding bristles, one of them got stuck in my nose like a spear. Good job eye protection was worn - that would have been bad news for an eyeball.
            This kind of tools is very dangerous, if something happends you can get blind, or even worse. I always use eye protection. Some of my discs is sending parts everywhere too, when they get worn out! I also nearly cut my fingers off a couple of times...

Comment

Full face mask for a wire brush, goggles are NOT enough unless you like grease/rust coloured tattoos!

Can i ask about your welding BTW? Why are you welding across the joint?

Comment

Yep - busy busy busy. you must have some advice on what the best brand of grinding disc / flap wheel is, do you find one lasts longer than others?
                We use thousands of flap/grinding/slitting discs at work and we've come to the conclusion that Klingspor are the best. Their 1mm slitting discs are really good, I ran out recently and borrowed some Parweld discs off a friend and they were crap compared to the Klingspor ones
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                  Full face mask for a wire brush, goggles are NOT enough unless you like grease/rust coloured tattoos!

Can i ask about your welding BTW? Why are you welding across the joint?
                  Less heat with spot welds and a lower chance of burning thru. How do you weld?

Comment

This will give you much neater welds on thin metal with about 90% less grinding back to do: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/thin-metal.htm

The video in right hand column is quite good

If you are burning through often, then you need to turn down your welder, or use thinner wire, or both!

Comment

nice and clean job!

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
                        This will give you much neater welds on thin metal with about 90% less grinding back to do: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/thin-metal.htm

The video in right hand column is quite good

If you are burning through often, then you need to turn down your welder, or use thinner wire, or both!
                        I use 0.6mm wire, the problem is where the rust has made the steel thinner than the new 1mm piece.
                        I do nealy the same as in the video. I just move to the other side of the piece all the time to reduce heat. Some on the panels twist when they get to hot.

I will try this method. But its easyer to weld a cross when i dident make the new steel piece perfect.

Comment

Done some work...

Welded on the last 2 exhaust hangers.

Made some brackets to reinforce where i jack up the car.

Made from this pipe.

I had to cut out this part in the engine room.
                          It was rust between the plates.

I made a template with tape.

And made this.

Just need some grinding!

Where can i find/ buy CV boots for the main shaft?
                          How thick hoses do i need to build fuel system for 700-800hp on e85?
                          Can 2 fuelpumps be installed in the original tank?
                          How can i mound a 01e transmission on the 3b subframe, do i only need a spacer on 1 side?

Comment

More gluing...

Comment

Support for jacking points.

Comment

Drilled out the sport welds from the endplate. Medieblast og weld/zinc primer. Welded back on. Forgot to take a picture when i was finished.

Drilled out the welds, medieblast og weld/zinc primer.

Comment

Working...
                                X