Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audi S1.5 [OEM+] - (10-valve turbo B3 Coupé)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiator maybe also partially clogged or be full of limescale or maybe one of the previous owners used leakstopper.
    1989 Audi 80 Quattro
    1994 Audi 80 Quattro Competition

Comment

• Originally posted by M2ki View Post
      Radiator maybe also partially clogged or be full of limescale or maybe one of the previous owners used leakstopper.
      The rad was actually replaced last season after it cracked

Comment

• Mine also does cook a bit, but in summer and while stationary in traffic, but I've removed the aux rad, only single radiator in the stock position, engine 3B. So I mostly turn the fan on and drive without pushing it a lot

Comment

• Does your engine have the 3 or 4 pin multi function temperature sender on it like 7a/3b etc?... If so, did you put it on and what brand was it?... Aftermarket mfts are not created to be the equal of original fit. I went through a period a couple of years ago of trying all sorts of brands and found most gave really different gauge readings, some turned on my overheat warning after a couple of minutes, some leaked, most were rubbish.

I knew it wasn't overheating as, like you - new radiator, new thermostat and I'd put new pump and proper fill with coolant.

Comment

• Originally posted by BLAMM0 View Post
            Mine also does cook a bit, but in summer and while stationary in traffic, but I've removed the aux rad, only single radiator in the stock position, engine 3B. So I mostly turn the fan on and drive without pushing it a lot
            My car didn't even come with an aux rad
            I might put in a fan-override so that I can start it manually if I feel like it....

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
            Does your engine have the 3 or 4 pin multi function temperature sender on it like 7a/3b etc?... If so, did you put it on and what brand was it?... Aftermarket mfts are not created to be the equal of original fit. I went through a period a couple of years ago of trying all sorts of brands and found most gave really different gauge readings, some turned on my overheat warning after a couple of minutes, some leaked, most were rubbish.

I knew it wasn't overheating as, like you - new radiator, new thermostat and I'd put new pump and proper fill with coolant.
            I have the big multi-temp things yes, but honestly can't remember if it's a 3 or 4pin. Something I do remember though is that sometimes I have to go out and wiggle the connector to even get a reading. But I'm also fairly certain that I at some point measured the resistance in all of the senders.

Comment

• The 3 or 4 pin thing is not so important... Original fit items were 4 pin but factory replacements were 3pin - a new design so don't worry about tracking down one or the other. The important thing is the reading.

I 'think' you can still buy the plug body that pushes onto it. If you have to wiggle your plug to get a reading, there may be some merit in buying a plug and connectors and changing them. It would eliminate corrosion / resistance / continuity issues once and for all

Comment

• Any project updates to share with us? It's been a while.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                  Any project updates to share with us? It's been a while.
                  Yeah a lot has been happening actually!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------

2023 - Rebirth
                  Since someone asked!

It's been a while, since 2018 there's hasn't been much development. I've mostly focused on other project such as the SAAB-powered Volvo 360 in my last post, then I built a bagged CVPI (which in my part of the world certainly is an odd one!)

Then I built a drift-minivan with a turbocharged Audi 4.2 in it just because I thought it would be cool as heck (and it was)
                  And ofc smaller quick projects/flips, so the Audi has kinda taken the back seat for a while

I still drove the Coupé occasionally, but I've had this thing for coming up on 15 years now so it's pretty rare, and it also didn't feel as reliable as it once did after leaving me almost stranded 2-3 times. And even if I wanted to take it to a meet or something, we had the corona-thing so nothing was going on anyways...

That pretty much brings us to last year, when I was gonna lend my dad my daily and I thought that I'd just drive the Audi for a couple of days since it's been a while anyways. Starter her up, went back in the garage to gather some things and I hear her start sputtering and the idle going all over the place and then she just died.

I got her to fire up again for a brief moment then nothing, didn't even try to fire. Coupled with the times she almost left me stranded I concluded that the black magic in the K-jet had ran out. Probably out of sacrifices or something, not something I was gonna waste my time on anyways. So right then I decided - to hell with it, I'll finally do EFI

At that point I'd learned a bit about standalones from the minivan-build, so it only felt natural to finally get rid of it. Also it was time for a refresh, this thing was my first build and as you get experience, looking back, there's certainly things that I could do better.

Now, since I started my YouTube channel I don't really take as much pictures as I used to. But I'll share what I have below, and I'll also link the videos to the project from my channel. It's in Swedish, but you can skip around and look at the results I guess

Feel free to ask specifics!

VIDEOS

Teardown
                  https://youtu.be/Tl11CjypjUk

Intake/Exhaust/Fuelrail
                  https://youtu.be/Vr1GYOW-ftk

Flywheel/Clutch/Dressup
                  https://youtu.be/_YSS2iexWnI

Fuel/Exhaust (This video goes live tomorrow afternoon)
                  https://youtu.be/Gb8O5e9hEqA

Comment

• Interested in your conversion from KJet, the coil mounting is really tidy, what injectors are you using? Any more details?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                      Interested in your conversion from KJet, the coil mounting is really tidy, what injectors are you using? Any more details?
                      Yeah absolutely!

I'm pretty pleased with the coil-thing, I was so afraid to accidentally lean on the coils and snap one. Also it always looks kinda weird when they're just sticking out of the side of the block.

I'm using Siemens Deka 630cc, calculated to be good for about 300 on E85 which I'll be running.
                      I'm hoping for maybe a 40hp(?) gain on the same boost just by going EFI and then ofc you want some headroom

Other than that it's as simple as possible. 60-2 trigger on the back of the crank with one of those replacement rear covers with a built in trigger. Used the old distributor as camsync and that's pretty much it for specifics. I added an extra oil temp/pressure sender so that I could have some safety features in the ECU (and also I don't really trust the 35 year old gauge)

I'm running a Maxxecu Street. Suuuper nice and simple software and the support is insaane. Also they're a Swedish company and very affordable.
                      I used the same one on my driftvan after a couple of my friends tried it and I fell in love. I had only worked on some Megasquirt systems before that it my god it that a mess...

The biggest headache with all of it was replacing and adding a bunch of fuel-stuff that didn't exist before. Fuelrail, regulator, lines

Comment

• Originally posted by LeafBox View Post

Yeah absolutely!

I'm pretty pleased with the coil-thing, I was so afraid to accidentally lean on the coils and snap one. Also it always looks kinda weird when they're just sticking out of the side of the block.

I'm using Siemens Deka 630cc, calculated to be good for about 300 on E85 which I'll be running.
                        I'm hoping for maybe a 40hp(?) gain on the same boost just by going EFI and then ofc you want some headroom

Other than that it's as simple as possible. 60-2 trigger on the back of the crank with one of those replacement rear covers with a built in trigger. Used the old distributor as camsync and that's pretty much it for specifics. I added an extra oil temp/pressure sender so that I could have some safety features in the ECU (and also I don't really trust the 35 year old gauge)

I'm running a Maxxecu Street. Suuuper nice and simple software and the support is insaane. Also they're a Swedish company and very affordable.
                        I used the same one on my driftvan after a couple of my friends tried it and I fell in love. I had only worked on some Megasquirt systems before that it my god it that a mess...

The biggest headache with all of it was replacing and adding a bunch of fuel-stuff that didn't exist before. Fuelrail, regulator, lines
                        And a new wiring loom too I guess?

Cool! I have the Maxxecu on my 3B too, really nice and Jonus tuned it when he was over here a couple of years back. I did the pin swap and used Motronic first, tried a few different tunes but MRC stopped tuning Motronic so then eventually just changed over to the Maxx, still running Audi trigger though which I think maybe does drop out very occasionally.

I've thought a few times about converting my UrQ but the KJet keeps on going so.. also it's a Treser so has the big Porsche metering head, a bit special.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post

And a new wiring loom too I guess?

Cool! I have the Maxxecu on my 3B too, really nice and Jonus tuned it when he was over here a couple of years back. I did the pin swap and used Motronic first, tried a few different tunes but MRC stopped tuning Motronic so then eventually just changed over to the Maxx, still running Audi trigger though which I think maybe does drop out very occasionally.

I've thought a few times about converting my UrQ but the KJet keeps on going so.. also it's a Treser so has the big Porsche metering head, a bit special.
                          Yeah but the wiring is honestly easy peasy, the Maxx comes with a flying lead and un-up-****able diagrams.
                          Compared to all the other stuff it was barely even worth mentioning haha

Yeah the weird double trigger setup that Audi has just seemed like too many things that can go wrong in my opinion.
                          Ofc, the downside is that now I have to remove the transmission if I ever need to swap the trigger, so pick your poison on that one I guess...

Oh that's kinda neat! I didn't really mind Kjet starting out. If you just wanna keep it stock it's honestly fine as long as it works.
                          But if you even think about tinkering you might as well swap it out because if you count time spent it'll probably be cheaper in the long run

Comment

• My 'new' engine bay turned out pretty crisp if I may say so myself!

------------------

Also, something noteworthy that's hard to show! I'm now running a Honda Civic 4" thick radiator with a Spal 14" fan
                            Pretty damn good fit, just needed some trickery with the hoses

Comment

• Very impressive work, well done.

Comment

• Exceptionally tidy engine bay, well done!

Comment

Working...
                                X