No announcement yet.

600bhp S1 Lotus Exige 07k 2.5T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was reading this thinking "cool, another 07k project" and then my mild excitement tripled when I realized that this is a UK build and the 07k is unicorn status on your side of the pond! super interested in seeing where this goes! also, if you need OEM 07k parts from the states, look me up! theyre everywhere over here... happy to help!

Comment

Turning a sportscar into a true sleeper..and what a breath of fresh air on here

Comment

Fantastic combination. Very interested in seeing video on road and (hopefully) the track!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1991 S2
        2003 RS6

Comment

Cheers guys. Will keep you updated!
          Current - 2.5T S1 Exige project. Think 600bhp & 750kgs!
          2006-2014 - Dead boring company hack
          2008 - Lotus Exige S2
          2007 - Ultima GTR Build started.. then sold!
          2002-2006 - 350bhp 20vt Corrado 4x4
          2000-2006 - A string of vw's

Comment

there are 2 different engineblocks.. one for the NONturboengines, another blockfor the TURBO versons...in 07k

Comment

AND you may use the eurovan verson block... prefixcode AXD or AXE.... they are in alu, they may be some lighter...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...DI_PD_96-128kW

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar View Post
                there are 2 different engineblocks.. one for the NONturboengines, another blockfor the TURBO versons...in 07k
                Both blocks are very similar.
                The only difference (aside from the alloy which means squat in the grand scheme of things) is the supports for the rear Transfer case and the oil return / oil feed for the turbocharger.
                Both can be solved by using an M10 x 1.0 to 4-AN off the cylinder head front plug (by the front engine mount) and tapping the oil pan for a 10-AN return which in the longitudinal configuration is a mute point since you need an oil pan anyway.

AND you may use the eurovan verson block... prefixcode AXD or AXE.... they are in alu, they may be some lighter...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...DI_PD_96-128kW
                Completely different motor. Infact the R5 TDI is more of a basterd than anything.
                07K cylinder head or even 034 cylinder head will not bolt to an R5 block.

Compare AXE head gasket:

to 07K 2.5 Rabbit head gasket:

The closest I have seen someone come to using an AXE block was when they machined the back galleys for the chains off and used a plate. Seems like alot of work to save 50 lbs.
                Issam N. Abed
                iABED Industries
                iABED Email | Facebook
                The build thread

Comment

very nice explained.. i thought it was a good idea.. now it may NOT... not even when using the v10 head ... hmm?

Comment

but there are 2 diff versons of cast grey iron too of the 07k..

Comment

very nice explained.. i thought it was a good idea.. now it may NOT... not even when using the v10 head ... hmm?
                      Lamborghini 5.0L 07L heads? Will not work either , besides , no point really when you can do wonders with an 07K head
                      but there are 2 diff versons of cast grey iron too of the 07k..
                      If I believed the rumours then you have to consider 4 different cast blocks. 3 being Iron (TTRS- German , Rabbit - German , Jetta - Mexico) and 1 being Aluminum . The Aluminum was a prototype made by Audi for the RS3. Some of the early adopters were able to get Aluminum oil filter housings , coolant flanges and intake manifold.
                      Issam N. Abed
                      iABED Industries
                      iABED Email | Facebook
                      The build thread

Comment

A bit of an update...

Cleaned the garage giving me some space to get to the car!

Rollcage install. A fellow Lotus owner gave me a hand -

Firewall cut into a million pieces and removed...

Dash removed...

Some swearing later... ta da...

Wanted to try some new ideas re engine positioning and test fit the TTRS motorsport aux bracket, water pump, alternator etc setup. Simple on paper. A friggin pain in reality!

Old 07k oem aux bracket and waterpump below. This setup as discussed in a previous post works using 2 belts on 2 different planes with a million tensioners. There isn't a chickens chance in Thailand of getting the oem setup to fit in the Lotus chassis. Not enough room. The TTRS Motorsport setup simplifies the design by putting the auxilleries onto 1 plane and deletes the oem aircon, pas pumps.

Removed -

Old vs new auxiliary bracket -

Old vs new waterpumps. So the first hassle of the day was that the TTRS has a bigger pump than the 07k! Arrhhhh... So a little scratching of the head later I decided to swap the drive wheels around as the shaft was luckily the same size. The issue being is they are press fitted, but I have a 15 tonne press, without this the job would have been a no go..

Old waterpump drive wheel being pressed off -

New waterpump drive wheel being pressed off -

Pressing new drive wheel on old pump -

Bolted in position -

This was when the second issue arose. To be honest I kind of thought it might be an issue, but basically because the new TTRS waterpump ali bolt on wheel is bigger than the old 07k version and therefore it was going to hit the Lotus engine chassis mount, so out came the grinder. I removed as little as I could get away with. (Later on in the build I will reinforce the cut mount so it will be stronger than oem.) -

Also trimed the corner of the chassis near the engine head for extra clearance -

All bolted up with tensioner, TTRS alternator and belt. Everything fits (y)

Time to fit v4 3D printed engine mount. Clears everything but I've over compensated for clearance and will need to modify the 3D model to bring the mount closer to the engine. By doing this it will make it sit on the chassis better.

Wanted to make sure the SRI fitted, which it did -

So next up will be 3D modelling / printing to get the mount finished then a quick test fit before sending it off to be cnc milled :clp
                        2008 - Lotus Exige S2

Comment

Nice progress!!!

What kind of use do you intend for the car? Daily driver? Auto-x? Road course? Hill climbs?
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

Originally posted by biggerbigben View Post
                            Old vs new waterpumps. So the first hassle of the day was that the TTRS has a bigger pump than the 07k! Arrhhhh... So a little scratching of the head later I decided to swap the drive wheels around as the shaft was luckily the same size. The issue being is they are press fitted, but I have a 15 tonne press, without this the job would have been a no go..
                            Careful here Ben. Turn the water pump in the block and make sure the impeller is not touching the casting. I used a bunch of VW MK2 water pump drive flanges onto 07K water pumps in order to replicate the TTRS water pump for the later 07K motors . Found out the hard way that the press was pushing the shaft too far downward.
                            Issam N. Abed
                            iABED Industries
                            iABED Email | Facebook
                            The build thread

Comment

PRY4SNO - End use will be road and track use. It is a toy but I do want to engineer it to be robust and reliable so it can be used.

Issam - Thanks for the heads up. I was surprised to learn that the TTRS and 07k had different sized waterpumps and thus housings. So annoying. Also its worth noting that the motorsport aux bracket hit the plastic water thermostat housing as well so had to grind about 10mm off for this to clear. Anyway I will check that the plastic impeller isn't touching tonight. Ultimately I will need to buy a new waterpump anyway so I will have to re-do the press fitted drive flange anyway. Final irritation is the new alternator wheel needs a washer/spacer to keep it off the housing. Its currently rubbing, so need to check VW sell the appropriate part. Otherwise I was happy with the end result.
                              2008 - Lotus Exige S2

Comment

Brilliant project, its going to shift when its finished and sound so very good! Lovely workmanship on the build.

Comment

Working...
                                X