No announcement yet.

600bhp S1 Lotus Exige 07k 2.5T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the comments. Re wastegate - I tried to get the best flow design possible for the circumstances/space/setup, I hope it works out.. I'm sure it will. Can't wait to get it started to hear what it sounds like, but I'm a little way off that stage.

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    Looks great, lots of work gone on there on the exhaust.
    Just a question, did you play around with the engine placement to maintain good corner weights?
    With the chassis being so light I guess the engine & box together will be 30%+ of the overall kerb weight?
    Don't have that luxury. It's placed in that position because that's the only way I can get it to fit and clear everything and having said that its friggin close in places ...!! The mounts are extremely stiff to try and minimise movement. Time will tell. But I will try and move weight about where possible, for example there will be 7 water radiators in the car, 4 of which will be up front. This will add some weight over the front wheels but I suspect it won't be as balanced from front to rear, left to right as in standard form. But then the standard car didn't have 600bhp!
    Current - 2.5T S1 Exige project. Think 600bhp & 750kgs!
    2006-2014 - Dead boring company hack
    2008 - Lotus Exige S2
    2007 - Ultima GTR Build started.. then sold!
    2002-2006 - 350bhp 20vt Corrado 4x4
    2000-2006 - A string of vw's

Comment

Fair enough it looks very tight in there!
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Update...

A few years ago I bought a wide arch body kit. It was designed with Motorsport in mind and therefore was a bit of a prototype. I knew this and to be honest I'm sure I could get it to work however I've never been happy with the fit and clearances so after a few discussions Imdecided to produce a wide front and rear clam set that fits like factory and looks pretty much oem to the untrained eye. It's taken many man hours, blood, sweat and beers but we're getting there. I've done a bit of a step by step of progress. It shows you why perhaps you don't see too many full clam kits out there as its A LOT OF WORK!

The first step is to make the 'plug or buck'. This is the panel we want to effectively copy. I started by using the original 3 piece Motorsport clam set and cut the arch return and spaced it out to the required position, which is roughly 50mm further out. I used some homemade metal brackets to achieve this. Next step was to fill the void with expanding foam, then shape to roughly represent the look required.

A layer of glassfibre was used to seal the foam both on the surface and underneath for strength.

Next I applied a number of layers of filler, sanding each to further refine the shape.

Notice the rear quarters and main clam are bonded together. This is to try and match the surfaces as well as one can. Next up and the hardest part was to copy over the same design to the other side. I used cardboard templates to help copy the same profiles. Finally it was a case of separating the individual pieces.

Once happy with the finish a few layers of filler primer are added and flattened back. In this instance some paint was also added for sh1t5 and giggles.

Just now concentrating on the rear section of the the rear 3 piece clam set. I rubbed down the surface with wet and dry. 400, then 600, 1000 then 1500 grit. Then I used some G3 polishing compound. Wanted to remove the 'orange peel' from the surface and achieve the best finish possible before taking the mold.

I don't have a pic of the finished that was achieved. Next step was to build the mold 'fences' which are required to split the mold into multiple pieces required to get the final part out. I then used a release tape to block up the smaller holes and then applied x5 coats of mold release wax, buffering each layer.

Next the surface is coated with a brushed on gel coat.

Once the gel coat has gone tacky a surface grade chopped strand glass fibre mat is applied. Main reason is to try and stop the thicker matting from coming through the gel coat and forming an unwanted pattern on the mold surface. I then added about 2 layers of 300gsm and 2 layers of 450gsm chopped strand matting, trimmed and removed the fence.

Now repeating the process I did the underside followed by the top side.

Ending up with this.

Christmas came early. Pictures say so much more than words. Massive thank you once again to Darren from Alitech Precision for working on a custom charge cooler for my setup. http://www.alitechprecision.co.uk/

Those who enjoy billet as much as me! -

Was able to also get my R888's on freshly powdercoated wheels -

New bodywork trial fitted. Lots of work still required but you get the idea -

Engine build progress. Motor is at JNL Racing for a full rebuild.

Not going to lie, the mating of the 07k and the later TTRS parts are causing a few extra jobs. We are fitting a TTRS bottom end with TTRS forged crank and later chains etc. We had to drill out the mains and caps to accept larger arp studs as arp didn't offer the size we required, TTRS crank balancing in a non TTRS block with after market forged rods and pistons are causing issues as we'll be the first to tackle this (or in the UK as the Americans so far haven't given up their R&D..IF anyone has actually balanced a TTRS crank in an 07k - if anyone can help please shout as this is happening as we speak) so trying to work out the 'percentage balance factor' by reverse engineering on the balancing machine might take a while. Might not even be possible. This is why you don't see a crank in the pics. Oil pumps are different.... the list goes on.. but we are making steady progress and I hope to have a long block soon!
        2008 - Lotus Exige S2

Comment

I recommend getting it balanced as an assembly not trying to guess by using bob weights
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thank you for sharing your research and progress.

I think I understand most of it.

Hopefully, JNL Racing might come up with a 07K kit to allow said engine to be fitted to a C4q or a B4q on this side of the pond.

Comment

What size are the rear wheels and the rear tyres ?

Thanks.

Comment

Some stunning additions to the build. Thanks for the epic update!
                Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

There must be a reason for not balancing using the entire assembly. Have asked though.

Wheels are 10.5x17 with 275/35/17.

There's loads more I've done but only listed the best bits.
                  2008 - Lotus Exige S2

Comment

what a car this will be keep up the good work
                    ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                    THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

Bottom end balanced 😎

Last edited by biggerbigben; 31 May 2017, 13:36.
                      2008 - Lotus Exige S2

Comment

What a project this is, great!

Comment

Awesome work, You can never underestimate the time taken on a project like this, Spent 1000's of hours over the years creating one off GRP elan bodies or perfecting standard ones, you need endless patience, an artistic touch and lots of elbow grease
                          Hats off to you
                          I'm doing a turbo'd zetec in an elan but only 450 HP
                          Cheers Paul
                          1995 RS2 Nogaro
                          1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                          1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Bottom end is all done. Well done JP! Bit of a learning curve to this point but it's good knowing all the hard work will pay off as should be able to handle some reasonable boost now....

Head is dismantled and has been skimmed. Some light porting etc then its back together it goes in a relatively standard spec. Will refit oem valves and springs at this point as i don't intend on raising the rpm too much over standard, plus the oem heads have been proven to withstand the extra heat in other large turbo builds over the pond. I may amend my decision in the future but for now I don't think I need to go crazy on the power front, especially in a 800kg car!

2008 - Lotus Exige S2

Comment

Nice nice nice... 800hp in a 800kg car sounds just right.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

nice work!
                                Issam N. Abed
                                iABED Industries
                                iABED Email | Facebook
                                The build thread

Comment

Working...