No announcement yet.

My first Audi. RS2 from Norway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They're unique alright, but the tires look quite meaty But I bet they grip...

Comment

Hi guys! Just been lurking lately, the RS2 have been perfectly reliable the past year - until now. Grabbed som studded tires and went lake sliding, men the joy soon stopped when the engine started breaking down on me.

The symptoms are:
      Rev counter went mad while it was cutting/shutting off/coming back to life.
      Revs uncontrollably when standing still, between 1000 and 2000rpm.
      Idles perfectly on cold start, starts acting up when it gets up to temp.
      Cam sensor new, MAF fairly new, all hoses new.
      I've ordered a new G28 engine speed sensor, that gives signal to the rev counter.
      The worst part, NO CODES.

It idles flat at 1100rpm when I disconnect the idle control valve, has a surge-noise when I reconnect it and it starts revving up and down. Maybe it's totally shot?

Shoots and burbles a lot when revving. Maybe running rich.

At first it needed at least three times the cranking to start, but after changing the plugs (oem BOSCH) it now fires right ut as before. The old ones looked perfect, but have done 150 laps on track + road trip across Norway + hooning around all summer.
      With the old plugs I could rev i normally all across the rev range if I was gentle with the gas pedal, but when I floored it it would just cough and hesitate. Haven't managed to make it act like that with the new plugs yet. Hoping to give it a test drive this week and hopefully make it throw some codes, any tips appriciated!

Picture from sliding around at the lake

Comment

Have you checked the two POS located on your fire-wall? I have converted to TFSI coils on both of the ones I own to get rid of faulty POS. And if you need a POS, I have one fro sale. Search on finn.no for Audi coildriver.

You're using the RS2 on ice-track.... madness, hehehe. My friends use their old BMW E36's for that... coming home without front-bumper / wrecked half of the car, hehe

Comment

I forgot to mention that I've converted to TFSI-coils with new loom

Yeah, there was a few people passing by that said the car looked clean and belonged in a garage. - not for me, I keep it in good shape and use it properly! I know my car control is good, unfortunately I can't say the same for the other guys out there with beater cars for ice track only. As long as I stay good clear of those maniacs i'm good!

Comment

Good, TFSI coils is the way to go Then it's not easy to find out what's wrong. Crank sensor/cam sensor? Let us know when you find out. Always goot to share information.

Comment

The cam sensor is new, but the G4 crank sensor and the G28 engine speed sensor is probably from 95. I've ordered the G28 sensor, do you know where to buy the G4 sensor?
              I'm trying to get hold of an used idle control valve just for testing, it seemed much better with new Bosch plugs. Was running NGK BKR8EIS gapped to 0.6 earlier.

A few more pictures from the lake:

Comment

Here's a few pictures from the last season.
                Started of bad with lots of smoke in may. Changed the valve stem seals with the head still attached. Real pain in the ***, but got it done. Turned out it was my brand new billett RS2 turbo that was faulty. Got a new one for free, luckily.

Alive, again Allso scored a set of OEM Cup1's with Federal RSR for cheap. Unfortunately they are powder coated black.

First real trackday. Had some boost issues, I had replaced the N75 with a dual port setup but used way too soft vacuum lines that turned to jelly by the heat. Allso the rubber hose between the turbo and IC let go.

Made a new one from bits laying around. It's still there!

Made 3" 316L stainless exhaust. Racecat and one muffler.

Comment

Second track day. Got about 50 laps before the stock coils started to let go.

Last trackday, new TFSI-coils and two SPAL-fans on the oil cooler. No problems, on and off the track all day long. Real ARB-kit from 034 helped a lot as well.

I've been using it to haul my mountain bike around as well. My two favorite toys!

Comment

More info on the bike? Love the fogs by the way.

Comment

Thanks The fogs are 993 Turbo S.

It's an Intense Tracer 275 Pro, pretty much stock except for tires, brake pads and tweaked volume of air chamber i both shocks to suit my riding style. Awesome one bike to it all, enduro racing, all mountain trail riding and downhill bike park shredding, it takes it all.

Went to my workshop today, changed both G4 crank sensor and the G28 engine speed sensor, with no luck. No start, no codes. Next step was to inspect the ECU... And it's pretty corroded Huge bummer. Not sure what to do at this point.

Comment

Finally found the problem - a broken solder joint in the ECU Had it soldered back together, and it's alive again. Big relief, and a free fix too.

Comment

Very good to hear you solved the problem.

Regarding the spark plugs, I also prefer to use BOSCH on the RS2, I tried NGK PFR7B (?), and it works, but I feel I lost some of the torque after the turbo spools up. So I bought new ones, once again and changed back to Bosch with the OEM number. I have never ever changed the gap on new spark plugs with OEM/replacement part-number on cars. For "racing"-plugs you might want to change the gap, but for OEM ones I don't do that.

Comment

Very good to hear you solved the problem.

Regarding the spark plugs, I also prefer to use BOSCH on the RS2, tried NGK PFR7B (?) these should be the same as the original bosch-one's, and it works, but I feel I lost some of the torque after the turbo spools up. So I bought new ones, once again and changed back to Bosch with the number: (IRIDIUM F5DPOR) on mine, and are happy with these. These should be same as the OEM ones for the car. I never changed the gap on OEM plugs.

Comment

Try BKR7EIX or BKR8EIX.

Very nice exhaust on this, but there is a restrictor in the back where the dual tip starts.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                              Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                              BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                              BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Thanks all!
                                I was running the NGK BKR8EIX before Bosch, for now I can't tell the difference. Will propably go back to NGK when it's time to change plugs, due to price.

Yeah I know, I bought the tip ready made and it is a very cheap design. Even tho, the exhaust is probably less restrictive than stock, 3" all the way with racecat and one Apple Racing muffler. Half of it is welded by me, half by a friend who is a welder, he did the tricky bits.

Comment

Working...
                                X