-27c
    Engine preheated
    Cabin preheated
    Battery dead
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    1990 CQ20v
    2001 3.0 B6 A4 Avant Quattro Sport

Comment

Relay question answered, as per this thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80041

12v feed is coming from the battery to give the headlights more oomph. So I need to do a better job of wiring that relay in and add a fuse when I get a chance.
      1990 CQ20v

Comment

Originally posted by Nj View Post
        08:00
        -27c
        Engine preheated
        Cabin preheated
        Battery dead
        What a PITA, I guess it good to know the pre-heaters work, I like where you've put the power plug, nice and easy to get to and saves kneeling in the snow.

That rod explains why the door was hard to lock! I didn't do anything about as it just about worked and I figured you'd be in there soon enough fitting one of the lock sets that you picked up.

I'm sure that window use to sit against the seal as it should, I had to pressure wash the car thoroughly to get the leaves and stuff starting to grow off and I would have noticed the gap then.

You can bleed the system with the engine shut off no problem, the trick is to unscrew the header tank from the body and elevate it as much as possible, I have a bit of wood I stick under mine when doing the job. The matrix bleed screw is a complete sod, they sometimes snap if you just look at them, I often see cars with an 8mm bolt forced into the hole or just a snapped off bit of plastic. If it won't play ball the trick is to loosen the jubilee clip, slide the hose back a little and use a 90 degree pick to allow you get the air out, sounds like that's pretty much what you did.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Relay question answered, as per this thread http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80041

12v feed is coming from the battery to give the headlights more oomph. So I need to do a better job of wiring that relay in and add a fuse when I get a chance.
          you can get a nice set from Olli at audi100-online.de
          http://audi100.net/Technik/Tips___Tr...chtupdate.html
          highly recommended, runs through std fuse, and also autocheck functions

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
            you can get a nice set from Olli at audi100-online.de
            http://audi100.net/Technik/Tips___Tr...chtupdate.html
            highly recommended, runs through std fuse, and also autocheck functions
            Thanks. that's excellent. I'll add that to my list of "summer" jobs. For now I will just do a tidier version of what's fitted just now, perhaps taking the feed from the alternator.

The battery's definitely dead. I left it to charge for 24 hours (automatic charger) but this morning it just clicked again when I tried to start it. When I reconnected the charger to ensure there was a 12v feed the car started OK so it's definitely a dead battery

**edit** embedded youtube video doesn't seem to work so i'll just add a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE

Oh yeah - I haven't tried doing the locks yet (another summer job) and am considering fitting a set of HAA locks with folding keys instead. That might also open up the possibility of remote central locking using OEM VAG key fobs (or aftermarket fobs that look OEM).

I'm thinking maybe the window frame has moved down a bit during the transportation to Germany if the trailer was a bit bumpy. To be honest the gap looks obvious in that photo I took but it's not at all. I only knew to look because I heard it when driving.

That's good to know about bleeding the system with the engine off. I feel a bit stupid for doing it outside now, thinking that pressure was needed to push the coolant and any air through and out.
            1990 CQ20v

Comment

does anyone have info on fixing the indicator cancel pin?
              I haven't looked yet so don't know if the pin is part of the stalk or what? And whether it's fixable or requires a new part.
              cheers
              1990 CQ20v

Comment

Got to be quick as I'm going out the door...

I didn't notice any wind noise when I took her out a couple of time to keep things moving, so that window gap is an odd one, the trailer it left here on was basic in the extreme so I guess it's possible something's been shaken loose. Either that or someone has made a half hearted attempt to get into the car

There should be bit on the back of the steering wheel hub that cancels the indicators, crap explanation but if you pop it off you'll see what I mean

Comment

**edit** embedded youtube video doesn't seem to work so i'll just add a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE
                  er... you've posted a link to Monty Python's parrot sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                    There should be bit on the back of the steering wheel hub that cancels the indicators, crap explanation but if you pop it off you'll see what I mean
                    I'll dig about and see what I can find. hopefully it's not one of those situations where the thing i'm looking for is only apparent by its absence... if I knew what I was looking for

Originally posted by Nuvo View Post
                    er... you've posted a link to Monty Python's parrot sketch.
                    Yep. That's what I was thinking this morning about the battery
                    1990 CQ20v

Comment

Just bought a new battery so I'll install it later.
                      and as per the thread about headlight relays I think I'll be doing both dipped and high beam when I get a chance.
                      http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...d=1#post890257
                      1990 CQ20v

Comment

Mmmwwuuhahahahahhaaaaa!! It’s alive!
                        So I fitted a new battery last night and I also remove that awful +ve wire running from the battery to the headlight relay. For now i’ve replaced it with a cable and 20 amp fuse from the alternator. So if nothing else, there’s no silly yellow wire running around the engine bay without a fuse. In the future I will remove all of the wiring and rewire the relay straight into the headlights with heavier wires, as I believe is the best solution.
                        The car started nicely this morning, it was warm inside thanks to the cabin heater inside and the engine came up to temperature in a decent time because of the block preheater. All (mostly) seems well so I just need to find the time today to take it in for it’s first MOT and Finnish registration. Fingers crossed
                        1990 CQ20v

Comment

Good luck, hope all goes well.

Comment

As above, good luck I hope you can get her on the road finally!

Hell you've owned the car for nearly 18 months, you must be dying to be able to actually use it regularly.

Comment

so I finally went for Katsastus/MOT today and failed
                              But I don't think anything's too major. One issue is a bit odd though and I'll need to be creative.
                              The front right headlight beam is.. blurred. not sharp and to be fair I hadn't noticed before I went for the MOT. When I saw the beam up against a wall though the left was clear and the right was far from it. you can't see the definition of the line as you should. So i'll have a look and see if I can figure out what's going on there.

The front left CV boot is "loose" so I need to see what's going on there. With a bit of luck it's just one of the ties/wraps has come off and I haven't noticed. If not i'll just need to replace the whole boot.

And the odd one.. I need to retrofit side repeaters. I actually noticed the lack of side repeaters when I got the car since almost all of my coupes had them. So I need to measure very carefully, drill a couple of holes, paint the edges presumably and then invent myself a couple of side repeaters. I have a pair of lenses that came off a pair of A4 wings so maybe I can use them?

(photobucket is down for maintenance so i'll upload pics of the lenses a bit later)
                              1990 CQ20v

Comment

I'm thinking I might install the side repeaters in place of the Audi badges on the wing trims
                                1990 CQ20v

Comment

Working...
                                X