Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Modifying Motronic 2.3.2 ECU hardware and software.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the problem?
    Serious? Change the value and look what engine speed is limited. Then you can correct the factor?!

Comment

• This is exactly what im doing. i plug this into tunerpro and it i get 692 RPM. Im working with the AAN.

Conversion factor/(X*2^Y)=rev limiter

CF/(5B*2^06)=7211
      CF/(91*2^6)=7211
      CF/(91*64)=7211
      CF/(5824)=7211
      41996864/(5824)=7211

So i plug it into tuner pro just like this
      41996864/(X*2^Y)
      The end result is 692 RPM. i feel there is something missing from this equation.
      "The really good drivers got the bugs on the side windows." Walter Röhrl

Comment

• I don't know. I use a fix offset, no big equation. Verified in 2 minutes in vehicle.

Comment

• well i've been using the 551C and 551D files and i think i've come to realize that the 551C and up calculates the rev limiter differently than the 551AA and 551B files. This is what i did with the 551AA and the 551B files and it works out perfectly.

551AA 0x8373
          CF/(82*2^03)=7211
          CF/(130*2^3)=7211
          CF/(130*8)=7211
          CF/(1040)=7211
          conversion factor=7499440

i than used the conversion factor on the 551B file at the same hex offset and got a rev limiter of 6602RPM.
          i got 6602 from the conversion equation -ice- posted in an eariler post using tuner pro.

This is exactly what i have in my conversion expression in tuner pro.
          Code:
          7499440/((X>>8)*pow(2;(X&0xff)))
          and if this is the rev limiter than following directly after it would be the RPM limit of 7440 that sets the fault code for engine RPM exceeded at hex address 0X8375. i tested this using the conversion factor above.
          Last edited by vwnut8392; 11 November 2014, 08:27.

Comment

• so as i posted previously about the rev limiter in the 551AA and 551B files the conversion factor is 100% correct. as for the expression for tuner pro the one i posted above doesnt work when it comes to adjusting the limiter as -ice- had said in a previous post.

Rev limiter for 551AA and 551B is at hex offset 0x8373 and is a 16 bit value.

Here is the proper expression for tuner pro so the the limiter shows up properly and scales proper as well. Also set the size to 8 bit on the general tab.
            Code:
            7499440/(X*pow(2;3))
            also so you dont get the fault code for over revving the engine you want to create a second scalar just like your rev limiter scalar. The hex offset for that follows right after the rev limiter at 0x8375. this is a 16 bit value as well but remember when you set your scalar up it has to be an 8 bit value.
            You use this expression for the rev limiter fault code.
            Code:
            7499440/(X*pow(2;2))
            i realize that the 551C and up files have a different way of calculating the rev limiter than the 551AA and 551B files as well. im going to continue to work figuring out that rev limiter as well. lastly i've been working on the injector constant too and i will be posting all of the data for that once i confirm its right.

Comment

• he just started to work on his own, very good

Comment

• Originally posted by -ice- View Post
                he just started to work on his own, very good
                Ive been working on this for a very long time. the only difference between me and everyone else is i'll post all of my information in detail so no one else has to go through the bull crap i did. no body deserves to be treated like i have been by the audi community while trying to figure any of this out. Im not going to give "hints", im going to explain what i've done and how i did it great detail so people actually learn instead of getting frustrated and giving up. i myself am not a programmer nor do i have a programming background. all i want to do is be able to perform basic ECU tuning on my car. i could care less how the internal ECU code works. one of my close friends is considered one of the best honda tuners in the land and he doesnt understand a single part of how the ECU code works, he just knows how the engine works and how its supposed to act when engine modifications are performed. whats so hard about one of us releasing an XDF for tunerpro that has all the basic info plugged in so that one can blow up their car at will. the only reason i keep pursuing this isnt to make money tuning cars or for any sort of fame, i keep on going because i think the people that want to tune their cars themselves should be able to. if your in this to get rich than your in for the wrong reason. it baffles me how this car community has gone from people helping each other and sharing information freely to everyone being selfish with information and basically telling everyone to piss off and go figure it out for yourself. The BMW and volvo ECU community is a great example of how if information is shared freely in great detail how fast it can grow and evolve. go ahead and cry about all the money you've spent doing this because your not the only one obviously. i personally have ruined 3 AAN engines among all the equipment i've bought and im not crying about it, its the price i paid to play. with venting my frustations aside im going to drag myself back into the depths of the internet with my trusty calculator and keep crunching numbers till i have more solutions or should i say secrets cracked to the motronic 2.3.2 ECU. rant over.

Oh and on the XDF note here is the 551AA definition timing/fuel definition i've been working on. it has the rev limiter in there plus the rev limit fault code scalars. also i have what i think is the injector scalar or KRKTE too, im not a 100% sure on the math for KRKTE yet and thats why i havnt posted any info on figuring out what math is behind it. this definition will correct the checksum as well. if there is any false or info you feel is missing please do all of us a favor by sharing the info and correcting the problem.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by vwnut8392; 12 November 2014, 21:17.

Comment

• It took years for you to find out how to set the rev limiter. Do you really think people want to share information with you they have worked for a long time?
                  Without this thread and the "selfish" hints you wouldn't be able to do this now.

Please give me your money you have worked for the last years. I think everybody has the right to spend your money freely

It's not a personal thing with you, Nobody will get any information if he asks like the way you do. The internals of a comercial ecu are not published on wikipedia.

If you want an open ecu, then buy a Vems. But please don't blame the people if they don't want to tell you everything.
                  I will never release an xdf, because there will be people how sell it or produce damage to their cars or even humans, because they don't know what the are doing.

You should not play with your ecu if you absolutely don't know what you are doing.

Working on your own is the only way you can get further in this case...

Regards

Comment

• Originally posted by vwnut8392 View Post
                    i personally have ruined 3 AAN engines among all the equipment i've bought and im not crying about it, its the price i paid to play.
                    I have a lot of empathy for what you are trying to achieve on this, but wouldn't it have been much more effective in terms of time and cost to buy an aftermarket ECU than destroy three engines ?

I cannot foresee anyone who has invested the hard yards, months and years of effort in unpicking the factory Motronic secrets is going to publish an XDF for someone like you - I don't mean that to sound disrespectful of you (or anyone) personally. But, unless an experienced tuner goes into retirement or decides he has no interest in 20VT anymore then why should publish something which potentially reduces their income ?

The way that I learnt what I did was a mixture of reading good Bosch reference materials, and sharing findings with others who have electrical or software expertise to move things forward.

The only way an 'open source' group to publish the internal workings of the 20VT Motronic is if a collection of guys with really strong programming capability (especially in 8051 disassembly) can collaborate in a way where none of them can make financial gains from exercising their scarce skills.

The people with skill at unpicking these things are very rare and kind of 'rain man' state of mind is required to see patterns in the code etc so the chances of finding a forum of like minded 'not for profit' people is extremely low.

I started the ESIM project on this forum as an open way to share how a 20VT ECU can be run on a bench... connected to a tracing emulator etc while engine speed, load, throttle position etc are adjusted electrically to help myself and others see how the various tables and constants are accessed in the OE software. This gives a very safe way to verify things like injector constants, dwell constants, rpm / speed limiters as well as exploring the main tuning tables.

I have only recently made some decent progress on that, but it can help folk like yourself with a natural interest to learn more about what is happening inside the ECU, but as you say you have no programming expertise then I really don't fancy your chances of making much progress - again no offence intended by that - its just the scale of the problem and the tools, education & experience required to solve it is considerable.

Also - even if you did manage to unpick the secrets of the motor chip... there is a whole other world of pain to understand how it communicates with turbo chip... and another wall of code to wade thru understanding how that chip adjusts for ambient pressure and knock. I have an appreciation of what is in there, but only a handful of guys globally (outside of Bosch) have any real insight how all that works.

Seriously - have a look at ESIM and see where that can take you - either with factory ECU, but I bet you will make much faster progress with it on VEMS... that way you can ignore how it works and where the important tables are... you just need to know where the tables & constants are with VEMS documentation on how to use them... and you will find some baseline tunes for 20VT to get you started as well - waaaaay simpler.
                    Paul Nugent
                    Webmaster http://S2central.net
                    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                      I have a lot of empathy for what you are trying to achieve on this, but wouldn't it have been much more effective in terms of time and cost to buy an aftermarket ECU than destroy three engines ?

I cannot foresee anyone who has invested the hard yards, months and years of effort in unpicking the factory Motronic secrets is going to publish an XDF for someone like you - I don't mean that to sound disrespectful of you (or anyone) personally. But, unless an experienced tuner goes into retirement or decides he has no interest in 20VT anymore then why should publish something which potentially reduces their income ?

The way that I learnt what I did was a mixture of reading good Bosch reference materials, and sharing findings with others who have electrical or software expertise to move things forward.

The only way an 'open source' group to publish the internal workings of the 20VT Motronic is if a collection of guys with really strong programming capability (especially in 8051 disassembly) can collaborate in a way where none of them can make financial gains from exercising their scarce skills.

The people with skill at unpicking these things are very rare and kind of 'rain man' state of mind is required to see patterns in the code etc so the chances of finding a forum of like minded 'not for profit' people is extremely low.

I started the ESIM project on this forum as an open way to share how a 20VT ECU can be run on a bench... connected to a tracing emulator etc while engine speed, load, throttle position etc are adjusted electrically to help myself and others see how the various tables and constants are accessed in the OE software. This gives a very safe way to verify things like injector constants, dwell constants, rpm / speed limiters as well as exploring the main tuning tables.

I have only recently made some decent progress on that, but it can help folk like yourself with a natural interest to learn more about what is happening inside the ECU, but as you say you have no programming expertise then I really don't fancy your chances of making much progress - again no offence intended by that - its just the scale of the problem and the tools, education & experience required to solve it is considerable.

Also - even if you did manage to unpick the secrets of the motor chip... there is a whole other world of pain to understand how it communicates with turbo chip... and another wall of code to wade thru understanding how that chip adjusts for ambient pressure and knock. I have an appreciation of what is in there, but only a handful of guys globally (outside of Bosch) have any real insight how all that works.

Seriously - have a look at ESIM and see where that can take you - either with factory ECU, but I bet you will make much faster progress with it on VEMS... that way you can ignore how it works and where the important tables are... you just need to know where the tables & constants are with VEMS documentation on how to use them... and you will find some baseline tunes for 20VT to get you started as well - waaaaay simpler.
                      I understand and respect your point of view. my problem is im not easily discouraged. even with no programming experience i will keep working at it till i figure out what i want to know. like i said before i have no interest in how the ECU works directly, all i simply want to do is be able to adjust the basic mapping accordingly to raise boost, fuel, timing, rev limiter, and add larger injectors if needed. im not looking to write custom code to improve the ECU in any way as i feel the ECU works just fine the way it is with basic mapping mods. i've even had ideas of migrating the AAN away from motronic 2.3 because of the lack of information to do anything with it. i had my sites set on using motronic 4.4 from a turbo 5 cylinder volvo as its the most similar engine hardware wise i can find plus the tuning for it is completely open source.

when you say it takes a person thats in a special state of mind i totally agree. since i have no programming background i have asked my cousin for help as he is a fairly extensive programming background and his mind is blown away by how this ECU works. another thing that puzzles me is that the people who have all of the knowledge of this ECU always claim to have or have access to this mythical factory documentation. well if the knowledgeable ones have access to it thats why they know what they know obviously. if i could track down this unicorn of a document i would be willing to pay the price for it and the first thing i would do with it is post it up right here for free regardless of what it cost me.

i have seen your work on building an engine simulator as well and i do admire you for attempting this task. have you ever heard of the jimstim engine simulator that the megasquirt guys use? i have one that i was using with my VEMS ECU to do the basic trigger wheel setup before i installed it in my car. i had the same idea but to use 2 jimstim engine sims to achieve the same result. i havnt followed up on messing with this idea yet because i dont have a second jimstim yet or the hardware to program it with new trigger wheels. The jimstim's are pretty cheap in price though and can be a pretty useful tool when it comes to experimenting with most any ECU. i have attempted to hook it to a stock motronic and monitor values in vag com like TPS, coolant temp, air temp etc and it does look like its going to work. my plan was to setup emulate the single firing pin on the flywheel and the cam sensor with one jimstim to keep them 2 in sync and use a second jimstim to get the 135 teeth on the starter ring. with 2 jimstims over all i feel most of the hardware on the AAN engine. now its just an idea so please dont flame me for it.

I do own a VEMS ECU too and i will say that im not very pleased with that investment at all. bought it second hand but was still brand new and never installed on a car. the ECU lasted 11 hours on a car and failed. i was told the processor failed by VEMS and they claim they cannot explain what caused the failure. it obviously failed for a reason and i would like to know if it was my fault or theirs before i go paying them to have it fixed. so the whole VEMS craze has put a sour taste in my mouth as well.

i run the VEMS ECU on my AAN swapped 4000 quattro and a stock but modified ECU in my S6 avant. i would have stayed on an OEM ECU in my 4000 but i was at the point where i needed a higher rev limiter because i installed HD valve springs, 7A cams and bigger injectors. at that point the stock ECU couldnt be adjusted for this so i tossed it on the shelf and bought the VEMS ECU. well the 4000's stock ECU is now in my avant and it works just fine for what modifications i have done, it is a daily driver so im not trying to get out of control. so yes i did play in the VEMS ring for 11 hours prior to faliure and through this all i have gained is a very expensive door stop and an even more expensive lawn ornament.

Comment

• Originally posted by vwnut8392 View Post
                        another thing that puzzles me is that the people who have all of the knowledge of this ECU always claim to have or have access to this mythical factory documentation.
                        Time to call you on your bull*hit.
                        No amount of factory docs, even if it was available would help you add proper datalogging to the ECU, add launch/nls to the ecu, or run the ecu without a MAF on custom code.

Everything I really know, I know through disassembly. Something you will never be able to do.
                        http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

• Originally posted by prj View Post
                          Time to call you on your bull*hit.
                          No amount of factory docs, even if it was available would help you add proper datalogging to the ECU, add launch/nls to the ecu, or run the ecu without a MAF on custom code.

Everything I really know, I know through disassembly. Something you will never be able to do.
                          i dont want datalogging, i already have a solution for launch control/NLS and im content with a MAF on the car. the car in my stable that needs all these features is setup for VEMS which does all of this and more. nice try at call my BS. i said it above and i'll say it again, im not trying to achieve anything that involves custom code. the ECU in it stock configuration works just fine the way it is for me. i would love to meet you in person and have you treat me like you do on here. your pretty mouthy with the atlantic ocean in between us.
                          Last edited by vwnut8392; 13 November 2014, 19:19.

Comment

• The unicorn document you speak of does exist but it's closely guarded by the few who have it and it's in German as well for another layer of obfuscation. I did once get very close to a copy but it never happened - it's paper only too by the way.

I did manage to get ABY / AAN schematics which are amazing but I am not at liberty to share them for obvious reasons.

It's a pity you had a bad experience with VEMS as that (or similar aftermarket) is probably best for your needs.

The Volvo 5-CYl motronic is an interesting idea. I have never looked at how that could be integrated. The flywheel related sensors could be most challenging. I wonder was that reverse engineered by a tech savvy hack community or simply because someone leaked the "unicorn" document for that system.

I just posted circuits for ESIM on my project thread - those are bespoke for 20VT. I did once look at mega squirt in the past and felt there was as much work to alter it for 20vt as opposed to just building something bespoke. Maybe it's a lot more generic these days.

At least on a bench with a tracing emulator you can track down the constants you want to change for rpm etc.

The other advice I would have is to focus on a single software stream - you maybe already know that things are different between versions of aan, Aby and adu code.
                            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                              The unicorn document you speak of does exist but it's closely guarded by the few who have it and it's in German as well for another layer of obfuscation. I did once get very close to a copy but it never happened - it's paper only too by the way.

I did manage to get ABY / AAN schematics which are amazing but I am not at liberty to share them for obvious reasons.

It's a pity you had a bad experience with VEMS as that (or similar aftermarket) is probably best for your needs.

The Volvo 5-CYl motronic is an interesting idea. I have never looked at how that could be integrated. The flywheel related sensors could be most challenging. I wonder was that reverse engineered by a tech savvy hack community or simply because someone leaked the "unicorn" document for that system.

I just posted circuits for ESIM on my project thread - those are bespoke for 20VT. I did once look at mega squirt in the past and felt there was as much work to alter it for 20vt as opposed to just building something bespoke. Maybe it's a lot more generic these days.

At least on a bench with a tracing emulator you can track down the constants you want to change for rpm etc.

The other advice I would have is to focus on a single software stream - you maybe already know that things are different between versions of aan, Aby and adu code.
                              The volvo triggering is just your typical 60-2 crank and single window cam sensor. so a custom trigger wheel setup might be in order for the 60-2 but im sure it would all work out the same. the engine have the same firing order as well and are COP. other than that its very similar to M2.3.2. i think the idle air control is in the throttle body so a custom throttle body solution would be in order. other than that the volvo community has it all figured out. the ECU has a flash instead of an eprom so that makes life easier, they have full data logging through tuner proRT, to do the flashing and data logging all you need is a cheap ebay vag com cable. the tuner pro definitions are free and fully defined along with matching stock binaries.

have a look at what they've done for yourself in this wiki.
                              http://m44.wikia.com/wiki/M44_Wiki

The jimstim was designed by megasquirt guys but it is a universal tool. like i said i use it with my VEMS ECU on the bench all the time. The megasquirt guys have got the AAN to run on MS3X with a divider board from the same guy who makes the jimstim. it takes the 2 crank signals and converts them to a single crank signal the MS3X ECU can understand.

as for the simulator the jimstim seemed like the easiest solution to me because i dont have an oscilliscope or any tools of that nature to sit down and figure out each signal one by one, design a board and all that stuff. i figured id work with whats already available to me.

i understand some of the difference between the AAN, ADU and ABY files. i look at it more on the ECU part number and ending prefix instead of engine code though. i do know that the AAN was the first to get COP and that the 551A is like a modified version of the 404/3B code to be COP. the 551AA is when audi migrated to the cam sensor on the front of the head and the cam gear. the 551B is just the automatic version. the 551C is where audi remodeled the file a bit because i seen that how the rev limiter works completely changed from the eariler versions. as for engine specific the 551C is where all the engines seem to come into play. The AAN and the and the ADU are going to have alot of different mapping because of the ADU having so many hardware upgrades like larger turbo, larger MAF, larger injectors etc. i never really looked at ADU files honestly because i always forget about them. the S2 was never sold in the US so it always seems to slip my mind. so in a round about way i think i get whats changed as per revisions by bosch.

Comment

• I think there is a 60-2 option on VEMS now that some people have used on the 20VT engine - that same arrangement will get you rolling on Volvo M4.4 assuming you can suitably customise that for 2226cc and the throttle body mods for IAC and such.
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X