This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meep
    Ohhh have you tried thoose? im interested in thoose due to the the cost of them. Are they worth a try or? Checked out DBA discs but they where rather expensive. Blackdiamond seems pretty ok priced. Question is can they take the abuse?

they worked a treat for the two months they were fitted to my 20V coupe . trouble is they cost me nearly £150 a pair, and reckon money wouldve been better spent on upgrade to bigger calipers. dont get me wrong, the discs are top quality, and work fine with the 'ebc greenstuff pads', but are more expensive than those std fitment to 996 calipers, i.i A8/S8 from gsf parts.

still up for offers on the part worn discs thou
    Attached Files

Comment

Black Diamond disks

I've got a set of these fitted to the s2 at the moment. They are expensive when you look at the cost of standard disks but they do seem to give a bit of a performance gain.
      Incidentally, these were originally bought to go on my coupe q20valve, so are now universal fit 4 / 5 bolt fixing.
      I have just bought all the necessary parts for the big reds conversion, so mine are up for sale if anyone is interested.
      They've done approximately 1000 miles on the coupe, and the same on the s2. They are fitted with formula pads which have covered the same mileage.

Comment

IMO your better of using standard disc and spending the extra money on Ferrodo DS2500 pads

Comment

Just a quick post on the result of my findings with a dry-fit of 996 monoblocks...

My intentions are with the 323x30 disc from the A8/S8 and the RS2 calipers - figuring I could downsize that disc to give me clearance - or space out the bracket to keep all the disc area.

Firstly - fitted 996 caliper onto RS2 carrier with no disc. All sweet except there is no way this is going to run with 16" Avus - they are desperately close and actually some sticky balance weights make contact. So that lines up with folk using a modified Seat carrier with the 314x30 disc - then you could fit the Avus.

So I run the Avus with winter rubber - I need brakes to fit in this setup, but it seems such a shame to have to machine the exotic RS2 carriers and reduce the disc down to size just for rims I use 4 months a year at nothing like the edge of traction with regards brakes...

So I've decided to stick with stock fronts for the winter months - its a simple swapover - I'm going to fabricate a ~4mm spacer that attaches to the RS2 carrier so that I can run the full fat 323 disc on my 18" wheels. More to come on this - I need the pads in place to confirm that 4mm spacer but it smells OK.

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I know it may look a bit pants but sacrificing the looks of the alloys by having balancing weights on the outside/inside of the lip by the tyre is'nt so bad for that extra bit of braking power is it ??

Also do you think with a 4mm spacer as you said between the caliper and carrier would the 323mm discs clear the weights on a 16" avus ?

Just thinking through different options as i'm doing a 996 conversion in the new year
            '95 ABY Avant - Sold
            '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

Let me clear this up...

1 - Regardless of disk used, the RS2 carrier and 996 caliper is just too close for comfort with the 16" Avus rim without any modifications... Even if the balance weights were not there - its perilously close and others have confirmed that physical contact can occur between rim and caliper.

2 - You can increase the clearance to the 16" rim by machining the caliper/carrier interface by 3.5mm. AlistairC milled the caliper mount faces for this and reduced the diameter of a 314mm A8 disc down to 307mm to solve the clearance issue.

3 - When using the 323 disk there is not enough clearance between it and the caliper so one needs to add approx 4mm spacing at the carrier interface. I'll confirm the exact amount when I see where the pads line up. This makes use of 16" impossible at 323mm.

4 - If I was doing this again, bearing in mind the same caliper and pistons make the same brake performance regardless of running with 323, 314 or 307mm disc, I would use the cheaper Seat Brembo caliper and machine that to work with the 314mm disc (perhaps reduced) to make it squeeze safely under the 16" Avus.

5 - The conversion I end up with will be just fine, but I'll be carrying round extra rotating mass with the 323mm discs - which is cool as it fills the space in a big 18" rim for nice looks but this is non optimal from a pure performance viewpoint.

HTH others doing the 996 thing - I wouldn't spend the extra on RS2 carriers even if its true bolt on (except for a caliper spacer or four). Get the Seat carriers machined once to work with the slightly lighter 314mm disk.

Cheers,

Paul
              Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Allow me to speak on this matter.
                Recently, I posed caliper of 996 and the brake disk of AUDI A8/S8 323 mm. Wheel-drives staffing 16 rims of S4 (4A), five rays. Distance from caliper to wheel drive, it was very small and I found spacer made of the old brake disc thickness of 6 mm. In this case, everything has been without problems and gauge increased. The only drawback is hard to put wheels.

Comment

Cheers Paul for clearing a few things up

Just read on your website that 323's can be used on 16" rims and no mention of fouling the alloy

I'll stick to my 314's
                  '95 ABY Avant - Sold
                  '98 B5 S4 -MRC400+ = 464ps 741nm

Comment

I'll update S2central.net with the cold hard facts then !

Another 996 related question - anybody know the Porsche part number for the pad location pins ?

I assume a new set of pads comes with some sort of spring clips but not a new pin - just noticed by monos don't have the pins.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                      I assume a new set of pads comes with some sort of spring clips but not a new pin - just noticed by monos don't have the pins.
                      I'm afraid, that it does not come with new anything (at least from my expierence). I don't know the reason why people removing that stuff from callipers when selling it .

If you want porker ETKA numbers (contents and quantity):
                      15 99635195901 repair kit 1
                      mounting parts
                      bolt 2
                      expanding spring 2
                      securing clip 2
                      (15) 99635195911 repair kit 1
                      mounting parts
                      bolt
                      expanding spring
                      securing clip
                      (15) 99635195930 repair kit 1
                      mounting parts

Sau
                      200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
                      CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

OK - thats what I was worried about... My calipers are incomplete. Can you post up a picture from the Porker parts album showing me how these springs, pins and stuff go together ?

Paul
                        Paul Nugent

Comment

Paul:

If you need the part no. for s2centra i have posted them below.

S8/A8 disc in 323x30 - part no. "4D0 615 301 J"

RS2 brackets - part no. "8A0 615 125 A"

RS2 hardlines - part no. "8A0 611 722" and "8A0 611 721"

Seat Ibiza Cupra R Brackets - part no. "6KL 615 421"

Brembo disc in 323x30 - part no. "60297"
                          Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Jonas - Thanks, I have all those numbers OK, and the Porker caliper numbers...

What I'm missing is any pins and clips needed to locate the pads in the 996 monos - I'm only noticing now that there should be some pins.

Paul
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

Oki Paul cant help you with that.

Do you have some part no. for porsche pads or ferrodo pads that fits the 996 upgrade? Could really use this.

Cheers

Jonas
                              Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Also - what I'd really like to add to S2central.net is more detail description with photos from anyone that has used the SEAT carriers with 996 calipers and 314mm disks - especially if used under 16" Avus !

Pahlease ????

Paul
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X