This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 996 Brake conversion

I have tried to pull together a few threads as a reference for those doing the 996 brake conversions.

There is a good link from a forum member with details too

Here are some links to various fitting threads

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11774

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15204

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11177

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9177

If anyone has more info to add please post into here
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

good call Greg - should these be put into Guides and top tips under a braking header?
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

there is a redirect in the guides and top tips section
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

cheers! Extremely timely for me this as Im just in the process of purchasing the rotors/pads/brackets/lines et al needed to get my recently acquired Boxster S calipers on the car where they belong!

Only thing left to source is the spring plate/pin assembly thinghy on the top of the pads - prolly be the stealers unless anyone has a spare ! as Ive only the one!

cheers

Paul
        Trick Pearl White 1992 3B S2 Coupe. Porsche 996 monoblock stopping power! HID Seeing power! Mmmmm Miltek!!!
        Trick Indigo Pearl B5 S4 Recaros, Bose , Mmmm Miltek!!!
        sigpic

Comment

The original 996 fitting thread - 7 pages of discussion & photos, but very informative.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=738

Comment

Excellent post!!!!

I have a quaetsion about brake lines, i bought ones to vagparts that arrived me yesterday, i see the lines that arrived me and i think that it's wrong, my brake lines seems to short and conections to calipers seems wrong, could someone help me?

Thanks

Comment

Hi

looks like the same problem I had - the Brembo kit I got from Vagparts had 2 female ends - whereas the 996 needs a 10mm male fitting at the caliper end. I know they are working on a solution (and happily refunded me ) so I got mine made up locally by a great bloke now a member of the forum called Autopipe (Jimmy), which is also the name of the company in Gateshead. Linky here

Really good quality braided stainless lines, plastic sheathed with crimped fittings and the choice of a banjo if you prefer (you might need 4x 10mm copper washers if you do). You also need a female convex 10mm fitting on the other end. I went for a length of about a foot and half which was a little too long tho ok, but I guess it depends on where you want to run the line to. We just removed the short pipe from the Girling caliper to the short section of hard pipe around the strut so the vag parts pipes of about a foot in length would've been fine in that respect.

HTH

cheers

Paul
              Trick Pearl White 1992 3B S2 Coupe. Porsche 996 monoblock stopping power! HID Seeing power! Mmmmm Miltek!!!
              Trick Indigo Pearl B5 S4 Recaros, Bose , Mmmm Miltek!!!
              sigpic

Comment

Yes Paulgo it's the problem i have with the brake lines.

I speak with Autopipe by pm

Thanks

Comment

I have a question. What bolt did u guys use to fasten the caliper in the bracket? Is there a replacement bolt? If i need to buy a bolt from a suplier what dimensions should i get and inclination of the thread?

Comment

I bought the bolts that go from caliper to bracket from a Porsche dealership.
                    I'd like to know how much needs maching off the seat calipers (retaining 16" avus wheels) and where it needs to be taken off.

Cheers Andy e

Comment

Ahhh i need to ask them then. Thank you.

Comment

can you also get the part numbeers for the 4 stud discs too,this is for the 90 as iam trying to work out the cost of it all,or would it be easyer to do a 5 stud convertion on it at the same time.john
                        1990 100 2.2 10vqt 82k miles(now dead)
                        1990 90 2.3 20v 166k miles
                        1988 90 2.0 10v 181k miles
                        oh and a polo for work.

Comment

If anyone would happen to wounder what the porsche part number for the bolts between Caliper and bracket is then here it is 999 067 041 09

Comment

have a set of 4 stud cross drilled black diamond front discs for sale if your interested. came off my 20V coupe. only done a few miles.

pm me if your interested.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BrianSmith_S2
                              have a set of 4 stud cross drilled black diamond front discs for sale if your interested. came off my 20V coupe. only done a few miles.

pm me if your interested.

Brian
                              Ohhh have you tried thoose? im interested in thoose due to the the cost of them. Are they worth a try or? Checked out DBA discs but they where rather expensive. Blackdiamond seems pretty ok priced. Question is can they take the abuse?
                              Last edited by meep; 5 July 2006, 21:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X