Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porsche 996 calipers

Ok,

Damn it guys - i am seemingly upgrading my car without knowing it step by step Mark/Doug you have a lot to answer for

How easy is it to mount a Porsche 996 caliper as I have found a very cheap source for a pair. Does anyone have any dimensions for the bracket that would be required? Would it be possible to use the rs2 caliper bracket to bolt this caliper to? Also I guess next issue then is disc size and availability.

I am going to change the wheels for 18's - thanks Doug u arm twister shortly

Finally -in the land of dreams, whats the potential maximum disc diameter/caliper setup i could run behind an 18inch 9 spoke rs4 alloy?

£££££££££££££££££££££££heer s,

David
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Re: Porsche 996 calipers

Originally posted by s2driveruk
    Mark/Doug you have a lot to answer for
    Don't blame me - it's all Marks fault

I am going to change the wheels for 18's - thanks Doug u arm twister shortly
    I don't mind getting blamed for that - it will make the car look awesome

Finally -in the land of dreams, whats the potential maximum disc diameter/caliper setup i could run behind an 18inch 9 spoke rs4 alloy?
    Akojacko has 355mm discs and Porcshe calipers under his BBS 18s

Link to thread with pic of Akojacko's 355mm discs
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

David,
      ive recently sourced some of these calipers, and when i get round to it ill eventually make some brackets myself (got my eye on some nice titanium at work yum yum ) dont think the rs2 brackets will work, you never know though but if youll be using very large disks youll need lots of spacers. as for disks, im going for an s8 disk of 323 x 30mm , there is a later s8 disk of 340 - 350mm available which may suit 18s,

HTH

martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

Yeah thats what i was looking at running disc wise originally till i thought there could be some extra space to play with. From a cost point of view will probably stick with it as they seem to be pretty common size.

Any chance i can twist your arm to make the brackets twice

Cheers,

David
        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Dave - you have two options...

1. Take them to HiSpec - they can make custom brackets to work with the A8 discs (or bigger if your wheels take them)

2. Contact Corey Jones on this forum who has his own CNC gear that can do the same job. He has generic and custom conversions for URs and S-cars. I hope to meet him on Saturday to see the stuff. He uses Porsche calipers, discs and makes custom carriers.

Cheers,

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul,

Yep, been reading those posts with interest but brackets only for £345 - ouch.

I am sure that I can get a decent setup under 18's for much less than £800 which was what i am looking to do. Just requires a bit of research me thinks. Failing that Corey has my £800

Calipers shouldn't be an issue but as always the bracket is a pain in the ***....to source and price. I see that porsche brackets are £140 a pair which i think is fine...I don't need bullet proof, NASA materials at £345 a pair just a safe reliable middle of the road jobbie thats up to the job.

Cheers,

David
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

yup.... i have a set of those sitting by my desk too now.
              ... so thats 3 sets of brackets now - although mine 'll be under standard 16s.

I've got most of the dimensions on AutoCad now.... but 'd like someone to confirm the Audi dimensions before I put em on here for all to use. Anyone got the dimensions between the wheel mounting centre datum and the upright caliper mounting points?

and I think its Very unlikely that RS2 brackets will be of any use.

Last edited by Alistair C; 19 October 2003, 17:38.

Comment

you can used :

-996 break + S8 disk (323 mm) with 8A0 615 125 A /you must have 17' wheel

-996 break + 996 disk (322mm but you must do the center 5x130 to 5x112 ) with 8A0 615 125 A /you must have 17' wheel

-RS2 or 968 SC (just the color change) + S4 or S8 (314mm 1 generation) with 8A0 615 125 A and small piece to adapt / you can have 16' wheel but not all wheel
                God forgives...... Me not....

and

If you disturbs the dog...
                It will puff out you the hand !!!

Pitbull Proverb

Comment

not quite sure what dimensions you mean alistar, i havent got round to sorting any out yet, i have a spare hub, just need to source some disks then can sort some dimensions out, what size disks are you using?

martin

Comment

Martin,

I'm planning to keep things under the original Avus 16".
                    So I think the most sensible option would be the 314mm A8 Disks.... not even sure if Euro car parts do the S8 disks do they?

anyway..... I couldn't think of a good way to measure the hubs accurately so I instead meadured the bits on my car and used this info to work out where the mountings are.

To plot it all I've created this orange thing, which, whilst it might not look anything like the real thing, does have all the important dimensions etc from which to work from.

And I think the important dimensions are shown on this diagram. Let me know if you think either are out according to your hub!

3rd important dimension is distance between mounting bolts is 94mm

- but hey, If phil says you can use an RS2 bracket with 996 calipers / S8 disks- that sounds like the easiest option. Unfortunately I can't find the S8 disks on the brembo site to check offsets etc..... one where experience is worth alot!
                    Last edited by Alistair C; 1 January 2004, 23:08.

Comment

323mm
                      30mm
                      59,5mm

and the rest should be same for almost all: 150mm, 134mm, 7mm

I guess you figure out what's what.

345mm for the US version S8, the rest are same.
                      -

Comment

alistair, im wanting the biggest disk to fit under 17's, probably go for the 323mm s8 disk, got a price of 70 something +vat ea cant remember exactly from vagparts (martyn?) i make your 65.45 dim 65.8mm.
                        does anyone know the max disk size for 17's?
                        martin

Comment

Well theres the evidence a 314mm & 996 caliper fits under the 16" Avus.
                          Looks OK to me.

pics page bira web site home

We also have offers from Godspeed racing & red dot racing to manufacture brackets to drawings. £150 from either place. Yet to get a quote from HiSpec.

Comment

Even the 323mm disc with 966 caliper fits in the 16"Avus rims, but then there is no room left for the balancing leads: ther is only ~3mm clearance left.
                            Peter

Comment

£150 is more like it.....

Those discs not on your s2 though right as they are on the leading side of the disc which is opposite to the s2????

David
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X