No announcement yet.

Porsche 996 calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Havn't had a chance to call you, Al. Are the brakes any better? I have an S2 Avant in for bottom end rebuild, he's wondering what brakes to go for. Just wanted some feedback so I can advice him.

Siena

Comment

I've ordered a goodridge hose set for an a4 Avant Quattro. The rear hoses are identical to S2 avant rear hoses and the the fronts are 10mm longer so shouldn't be a major problem.

Part Number: SAU0506-6P

Were about £75 + VAT

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Update

Was just down there to check all is still OK.

Looks like we have some rubbing against the inside of the wheel.
        First 100 miles or so caused no rubbing so I can only guess this has happened in the last 50 or so miles over bumpy roads. Bit of flexing of the wheel/ upright?

Gone through the paint & just about scored the metal.
        Thought others might like to know.

Last edited by Alistair C; 1 January 2004, 23:03.

Comment

Have you sorted it alistair?
          gives you an excuse to fit 17/18's
          is it the actual rim or a balance weight rubbing

Comment

not yet .... its not a balancing weight. All I can assume is that is was caused by either flex in the hub / wheel or a small stone got gragged round (although i think this an unlikely cause).

I know some people do run cars with the calipers this close but I'm not happy with it.
            Really can't afford wheels right now

Having said that - the Mov-it kit which QST offer for the S2's 16" Avus wheels looked even closer than these 996 brakes..... surely Kim wouldn't offer the combo if it was going to cause problems?? - bloody ell - do they really cost £1760 ?
            Last edited by Alistair C; 21 December 2003, 20:00.

Comment

1400 if you pay cash!

I've never had clearance problems with the movits on 16s

Comment

Right - had another look at the offending caliper again yesterday and it is no worse.

However - with a big torch and by getting down and dirty - I've found that the clearance in that particular area is almost nil.
                To be on the safe side, the next time I drive it is going to be the toolmakers I used to work for, where I'll take the disks down by 7mm (diameter) and bring the calipers in by 4.5mm (by taking material off the caliper mounting surfaces)

This should hopefully give >4.5mm clearance.
                AP, Wilwood and Outlaw all recommend 3mm as a minimum.

Just thought you others with 996 calipers ought to know!
                More pics when done!
                Last edited by Alistair C; 26 January 2004, 18:54.

Comment

OK - job done.
                  On removel - I could see that they'd touched again and a small score line was visible through the brake dust on the inside of the wheel.

IMHO 996 calipers do not fit inside a 16" AVUS with RS2 brackets!!!

However - I've now taken 3.5mm off the radius of each disk and 4.5mm off the caliper mounts. There is now >4.5 mm clearance which is more than anyone has suggested as a minimum.

FYI,
                  AP suggest a min of 3mm
                  Wilwood recommend a minimum of 0.1" (2.54mm)
                  Outlaw (Bremsport) recommend a min. of 1/8" (3.18mm)

Job done - and cheers to my old employers www.cranford-engineering.com for the use of their machines!

I've also made up some s/s 4.5mm spacers in case I ever decide to go for some nice RS4 wheels & want to go back to the original setup.
                  Last edited by Alistair C; 1 January 2004, 23:02.

Comment

just found this

BIRA brake upgrades
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S
                      just found this

BIRA brake upgrades
                      I am a member of Bira. But you have to remember that in the States all the coupes are 4X108 not the S2 5x112. So they do not have a specific bracket design for the coupe.

Bira basically designed and supplies the brackets for bolting up the various calipers and existing audi rotors, except for the last system which is for a custom hat and rotor. They use both the 996 and 993 calipers to design their brackets.

They only make up the brackets when enough people have ordered them. I don't remember how many it takes to make a run. There regular design brackets run about 250USD with a special design brackets about 350USD. You still have to provide you own calipers and rotors.

As far as I know, they have not designed a bracket for the S2 coupe, sedan, or avant.

I myself believe that Yoggi and Alistair C have shown us that the RS2 brackets with the 996 calipers and Euro A8 314 rotor will fit on the S2. The only question is what 16" wheels the combination will work with. With 17" wheels there is no question.

Seems to me, if you can buy off the self brackets, you would be better off.

Greg
                      They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by 90quattrocoupe
                        I am a member of Bira. But you have to remember that in the States all the coupes are 4X108 not the S2 5x112. So they do not have a specific bracket design for the coupe.

Bira basically designed and supplies the brackets for bolting up the various calipers and existing audi rotors, except for the last system which is for a custom hat and rotor. They use both the 996 and 993 calipers to design their brackets.

They only make up the brackets when enough people have ordered them. I don't remember how many it takes to make a run. There regular design brackets run about 250USD with a special design brackets about 350USD. You still have to provide you own calipers and rotors.

As far as I know, they have not designed a bracket for the S2 coupe, sedan, or avant.

I myself believe that Yoggi and Alistair C have shown us that the RS2 brackets with the 996 calipers and Euro A8 314 rotor will fit on the S2. The only question is what 16" wheels the combination will work with. With 17" wheels there is no question.

Seems to me, if you can buy off the self brackets, you would be better off.

Greg
                        My 16" original Avus Wheels fit.. haven't tested other 16"...
                        www.irry.com

Comment

Seat RS Brackets / 993 calipers?

1/ Someone asked the question about the Seat RS / Brembo Caliper brackets. I have had a look on the Dahlback web site and it seems to show the same brackets ( RS2?) for the bigger brake conversions 314/30 etc I don't know if this helps any.

2/ Will a Porsche 993 caliper fit in place of a 996 caliper using RS2 brackets and Audi A8 314 x 30 mm disks? 993 used 304 x 32 mm disk.

Comment

I have looked on this web site at sone Seat tuning bits. A forum member found on another thread that Seat /Brembo 4 pot calipers were £75 each.

I looked at the web site and found that the disks for the conversion were 305 x 28MM
                            please see http://www.badger5.co.uk/

If using the Audi A8 disk 314mm x 30mm it seems they will squeeze into the 996 caliper as AlistairC has found they were 28 mm disks on the 996.

FYI
                            The porsche 993 carrera uses 304 x 32mm disk
                            The 993 carrera twin turbo uses 323 x 32mm ( same size as RS2 special option I think....

David

Comment

David, There is a thread on page 4 all about seat calipers.....

Basically the cheapo brembo use 25mm disks (ie same as what you have on there now - just a bigger diameter)
                              And the calipers for 28mm disks aint cheap!

I looked into this myself and found the following:

--------------------------------------------

according to main dealer:

Seat Cupra R calipers:

for 17" wheel - 312 x 25mm £95 +VAT (10% off for trade)
                              for 18" wheel - 323 x 28mm £258 + VAT (10% off for trade)

the 323mm calipers come complete with pads etc.

Prices are for single calipers.

Back to the drawing board then
                              suppose cou could marry the 312 seat caliper with a TT disk as described by mihnea ??? - cheap upgrade but perhaps a bit thin....

----------------------------------------------

PS Badger5 posts alot in the Mk4 golf forums - will post a link later if anyone is interested. HTH

Comment

I was worth a try though.

Ah well back to the 996 caliper search. I want to see them before I buy and so I am looking for a local supplier.....

I am on the trail of some delivery mileage silver ones for £300 with no pads.
                                Also possibly some red ones condition not known for £200.

1/ Any thoughts on reasonable cost/ reasonable performance pads for the 996?. I have 180BHP by the way .

2/ Wonder if the rear seat calipers are any use?

DW

Comment

Working...
                                X