No announcement yet.

Porsche 996 calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, over the years i am amazed at how people have driven the price down for big brake kits for the S2. Still i havnt got that much but will have some big brakes soon .
    Graham
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

About those RS2 brackets... I heard a rumor that there is a matching bracket used in some Seat model and the price is a bit lower... No idea about the part number and which model it is.

Comment

Think im gonna use those pagid fast road pads from that design911 place in your link alistair 55+vat IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair C
          Seller appears to be an idiot. He's using the same part number for 2 different sets of calipers And that p/n is not even for a matching pair of anything!

I think the silver ones are

and the blacks are
          996 352 421
          996 352 422

he also has a third auction (here) for rear (hinten) calipers...
          these I think are actually fronts and are the ones we are using here.
          996 351 425
          996 351 426

I guess someone told him he had 2 pairs of fronts and one pair of rears...... what a dumb *** - how much effort is it to read the p/ns off the calipers before you put 'em on ebay??

HTH prospective buyers!

So we want : 996 351 425, 996 351 426 for our S2's? Damn those silver ones would have looked good on my silver S2.

Where did you get all the other bits from?
          Coupe

Comment

would love to know which bracket from a Seat would maybe work with this setup as i think this is definately the cheapeast way to decent braking performance.

Failing that we must be able to get a group purchase together for some rs2 type brackets somehow......

David <<<<<dusting off his brake plans again!!!

sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Apparently if a seat vehicle uses another VAG part, then the part number stays the same.

Phoned my local seat dealer today and asked them to check on the RS2 bracket p/n. It isn't used.

There is a seat bracket though, used on the cupra R vehicles. p/n 1ML 615 421. It is however £95.89 each...... And there is no way to check if its the same size without ordering one in.....

My parts came from:
              e-bay (calipers)
              porsche main dealer (ancillaries)
              VAG parts (disks & brackets)
              Circuit supplies (pads)
              Dunlop Hiflex (hoses)

Comment

How are the brakes coming along Alistair C?
                Coupe

Comment

ask me again tomorrow

Comment

I've got all the parts sorted to do my big brake conversion now.

Alistair,

Did you get some s/s brake hoses sorted? If you don't mind me asking where from and how much?

Ben
                    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

I got my hoses from a local industrial hose supplier who ordered them from goodridge.
                      I took their advice & went for fixed connectors at each end (ie non swivel types as apparently these swivel joints can perish over time).

You can't use banjo connectors with the porsche calipers as there is no machined surface for the washers to seal on - instead they have to use the convex seat to seal.

I used Doug's AP Racing hose specas a template & just change the fitting to suit the 996 calipers.

LINK to my *OLD* hose spec

However, having now fitted them, I think I'd probable change to the 90 degree swivel mount for the caliper end.

Further more they could possibly do with being 50mm or so shorter.
                      Mine cost £46 from Dunlop Hi-flex in Burnt Mills, Essex.

LINK to my *NEW* & as yet untested! hose spec

Not alot of space between the caliper and the wheel !
                      Fairly clear that nothing larger than the 315mm Euro A8 disk will fit inside an standard AVUS.

and lastly - I thought these pegs ran a little close to the disk. (like <0.5mm) so I ground them a little to make sure they protruded less than the friction material. I then painted the ground surfaces with hammerite just to be sure.

PS huge thanks to Siena for his help with fitting these beauties yesterday!
                      Last edited by Alistair C; 2 January 2004, 22:16.

Comment

I think the best solution for the brake piping/lines is a combination of RS2 parts and Goodridge brake lines.
                        It means:
                        * replacing the caliper to strut line and the pipe on the strut should be replaced by the original RS2 pipes (partnumbers 8A0 611 721 left and 8A0 611 722 right)
                        * using the Goodridge line for the body to strut connection
                        This gives the best garantee for a proper routing.

Peter

Comment

hmm - yeah would probably agree with hindsight. Much better arrangement around the strut.

Comment

How much in total have you spent on this braking option?

Looks the ****!!
                            Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                            2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

I'm using the RS2 lines into the callipers so only need to change the flexi hoses. Do goodridge do an off the shelf replacement for the flexi's?

Ben
                              the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
                              1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Originally posted by s2avant
                                Do goodridge do an off the shelf replacement for the flexi's?
                                No idea - there is a catalogue on their website but I can't see anything suitable. Need to find somewhere cheaper to buy the next 4......

Ant: prices are at the end of the last page!

Comment

Working...
                                X