This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is the job going doug?

Have you managed to take the head off yet?

Be interesting to see the outcome of the head gaskets. Not that im planning on taking the head off for the sake of it!

greg
    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

I've been getting all the timesheets approved by the boss

It's in the garage - I want to read a manual first - Should get my hands on them soon. Not taken anything off yet but hope most of the bits will be off tommorrow.

I'll need to know how to put 2 head gaskets on the car first i would have though just putting them on top of each other would guarantee a squash fit on all mating surfaces?
      S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

I think if you used two full gaskets it would lower the CR too much, down to something like 5 or 6:1 because they are roughly 3mm thick going on someones calcuations earlier in the thread.

If you need info for the torque settings etc i have them from autodata if you want me lo email and let you know what they are.

Greg
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Tom, right about the gaskets but have you changed many 'K' series rover ones? Stainless steel with a rubber seal stuck to it to seperate oil and water! Not changed many of them let me tell you!!!!! (NOT!)
          Head bolts that hold the crank caps on as well!!!
          Thank god for standard paper and metal gaskets!!!
          Oh,Mihnea, another 5pot diesel(diff.thread)..... merc sprinter van!

Doug, hope you get her back to "normal" soon mate, bummer of a thing to happen
          A6 Avant Tdi 110 because as the fuel prices keep going up I am so happy to be getting 649.8 miles to a tank of diesel!! (£50)

Comment

Good old rover, done loads too!! along with gearboxes!!

@Doug, i think Marks plan of seperating two headgaskets and making one, is a good idea. Do you remember what he said? LOL
            sigpic
            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
            Audi UR Quattro
            Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
            Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Was Marks plan to use the 2 centre parts together?

crush part>centre>centre>crush part ?

How do the 2 centre parts seal together?

Sienna was not keen on any of these ideas - aprt form getting a new part laser cut!

Comment

And for those wondering if you have a metal head gasket you can see the metal gasket sticking out the back corner. I presume the paper was is really thin?

I got the front end, turbo, inlet manifold off today - hopefully get the head off tomorrow night.

The EM nuts all cam off real easy - but I couldn't find an old spanner to bend to get into the 3 nuts underneath the manifold - do that tomorrow.

Does anyone have pictures of the standard inlet tract in the head - mine looks like a wire brush has been used on it - so much for the previous owner porting and polishing it!

Doug

Comment

Doug,

yep, thats what we talked about at Greg's the last week (whilst chewing the fat ), but one option we moved onto (I think it was Steve who mentioned it) was what you've just said, i.e. get a new centre piece laser cut to a specified thickness.
                  Sienna's right that has got to be a much better idea (less chance for leakage).

Mark.

P.S. I'm glad your testing this one out first! .
                  Last edited by Mark Halligan; 21 December 2003, 19:19.
                  Mark - Modded

Comment

Does anyone have pictures of the standard inlet tract in the head - mine looks like a wire brush has been used on it - so much for the previous owner porting and polishing it!

Doug,

here's a pic of the standard inlet port:[
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mark Halligan; 21 December 2003, 20:29.
                    Mark - Modded

Comment

And here's one after I played with it (guides removed) , don't know if it's any help:
                      Attached Files
                      Mark - Modded

Comment

I don't fancy getting a new one laser cut just now.

I'll have to take a picture of my inlets and see what you guys think - They look really crap. I can see a brass part on the valve stems - they look like they have had a wire brush over them as well - I think it looks strange.

This is the first time I have taken an engine to bits so sorry if this is normal - it's all new to me - and maybe I'm expecting too much after seeing Marks work.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Halligan
                          thats what we talked about at Greg's the last week (whilst chewing the fat )
                          I had a few to drink that night though, so can't remember everything :wacked:

Anyway - here is a pic of one of the inlets - what do you guys think?
                          Attached Files

Comment

it doesent look pritty but thats not nessaseraly a bad thing, a lot of tuners belive that the inlet ports should be a bit rough as it gives turbulance that helps atomise the fule better. Its still a bit two sided as to which is best smooth better flow or rough better fule attomisiation.
                            Whats more important on an injection engine is that each cylinder inlet flows the same.
                            Do you Know who did it.

Comment

Doug,

I'm no expert (**** me, far from it), but as far as I know/have been told, the rough finish on the inlets is OK, mine looked a bit like that before the head was bead blasted.

Sienna would know.

Mark.
                              Mark - Modded

Comment

I don't know who done the head - Has it definitely been fiddled with then? If I remember correctly, form Mark, the exuast ports have to be polished and have sharp blends between ports?

If you look at the brass coloured thing (is that the valve stem guide?), it has the markings/scoring on it as well - as if a wire brush has just been thrown down each port.

Comment

Working...
                                X