Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is getting to be a bit of an obsession. Looks like this one has a centre housing with a different casting designation on it!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu
      This is getting to be a bit of an obsession. Looks like this one has a centre housing with a different casting designation on it!

Trust me, the center housing is the exact same housing as a K26 off a 5000 Turbo. As a matter of fact there where several center sections for the K26, I have been checking the Borg Warner catalog and the RS2 turbo is K26 turbo, with a special K24 turbine and housing. But its dimensions make it a K26. They put a left hand threaded nut and turbine shaft on these RS2 turbos. They also made a specific K24 part number for the turbine housing, but if you look at the number cast on the hot housing, its a K26 series. There are many numbers on the parts, but they don't match the parts catalog. I found the cold side back plate has 4 ID numbers, and its a K26 series, yet the parts catalog rates this a K24 part number. I'm working on reworking some K26's with RS2 parts. Also, if you trash the hot side parts, you'll need to buy a new one, as the shaft and housing are not available from Borg Warner. But I did find some parts are interchangable as listed by Borg Warner.
      Regards,
      Ezveedub

Comment

Originally posted by ezveedub
        Trust me, the center housing is the exact same housing as a K26 off a 5000 Turbo. As a matter of fact there where several center sections for the K26, I have been checking the Borg Warner catalog and the RS2 turbo is K26 turbo, with a special K24 turbine and housing. But its dimensions make it a K26. They put a left hand threaded nut and turbine shaft on these RS2 turbos. They also made a specific K24 part number for the turbine housing, but if you look at the number cast on the hot housing, its a K26 series. There are many numbers on the parts, but they don't match the parts catalog. I found the cold side back plate has 4 ID numbers, and its a K26 series, yet the parts catalog rates this a K24 part number. I'm working on reworking some K26's with RS2 parts. Also, if you trash the hot side parts, you'll need to buy a new one, as the shaft and housing are not available from Borg Warner. But I did find some parts are interchangable as listed by Borg Warner.
        Regards,
        Ezveedub

Hi!
        Thanks for the input. However clearly the centre sections are not the same on the RS2 and the 5000 or (200 in Europe) as thats whats I am making the comparsion with! The other turbo picture also shows a housing with a different casting designation. I can only report what I have found. It appears the RS2 has an additional oil gallery and it has a different treatment around the body under the flange when compared to the normal K26 centre housing despite having the same casting numbers. The only external difference being the ribbing and the 5150 number.
        We have already established the shaft has a lefthand thread. We know the RS2 is all K26 despite what others have posted. I am assuming that as the K24 designation was in use at the time, KKK used that instead.
        I am interested in getting as much factual information on this thread as possible. So if you want to post the p/n's from the BW catalogue on here that would be useful.

Comment

Very intersting read Twoqe. Keep it going!
          RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
          RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
          Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
          High Octane website

Comment

Hi!
            Thanks for the input. However clearly the centre sections are not the same on the RS2 and the 5000 or (200 in Europe) as thats whats I am making the comparsion with! The other turbo picture also shows a housing with a different casting designation. I can only report what I have found. It appears the RS2 has an additional oil gallery and it has a different treatment around the body under the flange when compared to the normal K26 centre housing despite having the same casting numbers. The only external difference being the ribbing and the 5150 number.
            We have already established the shaft has a lefthand thread. We know the RS2 is all K26 despite what others have posted. I am assuming that as the K24 designation was in use at the time, KKK used that instead.
            I am interested in getting as much factual information on this thread as possible. So if you want to post the p/n's from the BW catalogue on here that would be useful.
            I can make them into a PDF file if any needs them or post the numbers. Also, there are 2 K26 units for the 5000 (0r 200). One has the smaller turbine housing, this is the earlier model and the later has the larger housing outlet. In the US, it the watercooled housing unit from a 86-88 5000 Turbo & the 89 200 Turbo. There were I believe 3 center housings listed for the RS2, and there are some dates listed as "valid till". These same number exist for the 5000/200 K26 in the catalog, but there were alot more numbers because it was around longer. As for the comparison between the 2, it hard to find the same features because one may be newer than the other,and it a, but as per the catalog, they are interchangable numbers, just depends on then it was made. I get them numbers shortly, as they're at my office.

Comment

Hi!

Yep, post whatever info you have on here. Be interesting to see the breakdown of parts. I am assuming these refer to KKK numbers.
              If you have access to the catalogue then it would be interesting to see where the shaft/ compressor side came from. I have heard that it was from a Porsche 968 turbo if there was such a beast. Can't see it being the 944 turbo in either form. Both of those have smaller comp wheels.
              I made a slight error before. There is one component that is probably shared with the K24 and thats the smaller 14mm compressor seal and flinger. The K26 used two larger 19mm ones!

Comment

As for the 968 turbo, thats a European 968 RS that was made for racing. Very rare, but I will see if I can pull that info also. I'll get the catalog numbers uphere shortly. Trust me, it very confusing running through all the numbers!

Comment

Originally posted by ezveedub
                  As for the 968 turbo, thats a European 968 RS that was made for racing. Very rare, but I will see if I can pull that info also. I'll get the catalog numbers uphere shortly. Trust me, it very confusing running through all the numbers!

Mmm... the 968 RS looks too exotic! However the 968 turbo S looks like a candidate. It predates the RS2!

Comment

Can someone give all the number that can be found on a RS2 turbine housing?
                    I am trying to figure out if there are any infos about the max temperature it can handle.
                    Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

Hi!

Yep, post whatever info you have on here. Be interesting to see the breakdown of parts. I am assuming these refer to KKK numbers.
                      If you have access to the catalogue then it would be interesting to see where the shaft/ compressor side came from. I have heard that it was from a Porsche 968 turbo if there was such a beast. Can't see it being the 944 turbo in either form. Both of those have smaller comp wheels.
                      I made a slight error before. There is one component that is probably shared with the K24 and thats the smaller 14mm compressor seal and flinger. The K26 used two larger 19mm ones!

Here is the RS2 parts catalog from Borg Warner. Its a PDF zipped. Audi 5000 coming shortly.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi!

Here is the Audi 5000 K26 part catalog. Numbers may be fuzzy. Let me know if you need better pics.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi!
                          Thanks for that!
                          Could i ask you one more favour. Can you do the same for the Audi K24. Think thats something like 5324 970(988?)7001. The reason I ask is that if we can see the actual part numbers of some of the components we can work out any differences. Another debate is whether the K24 used a smaller dimeter shaft. I suspect not.
                          This sure beats taking things apart to find out!

Comment

Ok!
                            Just some quick observations using the parts lists.
                            RS2 and K26 sleeve and thrust bearings the same! I suspect the same is true on the K24.
                            I have been comparing the RS2 centre housing with a 5326 150 0023 centre housing. This was easy to identify as it actually has the correct p/n on it.
                            So the 0023 does not have the extra oilgallery to the rear. Question is whether this makes the RS2 one a 0022 or 0024.

Comment

There is no real way to find out unless someone from KKK/Switzer or Borg Warner would have the internal data. I can pull the K24 data, but it will be Monday. I believe the K24/26/27 have some same internal parts. Also, some KKK turbine shafts can be very expensive. We found out that some Porsche shafts are Titanium. This is true, because the Audi R8 ran Titanium turbines on the racecar. One other project I am looking into is the Porsche 944S turbo (K26#8) with Audi center housing and K27 cold wheel and housing assembly. Would have lag, but have alot of boost!

Comment

Hi!
                                Thanks for that!
                                Could i ask you one more favour. Can you do the same for the Audi K24. Think thats something like 5324 970(988?)7001. The reason I ask is that if we can see the actual part numbers of some of the components we can work out any differences. Another debate is whether the K24 used a smaller dimeter shaft. I suspect not.
                                This sure beats taking things apart to find out!
                                Just to let you know, if the center part number is 970 its original part from manufacturer, if its 988, it was supplied directly from Borg Warner. In other words, any RS2 turbo with 970 is factory audi part, 988 is sourced from KKK/Borg Warner.

Comment

Working...
                                X