No announcement yet.

s6 broken down starts then stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The C4 UrS fuel pump relay is NOT a 205, it is a 208 or 372. The 205 probably isn't heavy duty enough to handle the load.

J17 Fuel Pump Relay Information and why it is so important:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22583.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Yes, the fuel pump relay switches a whole bunch of stuff on.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

I am a bit confused now as to whether the 205 relay is the fuel pump relay.
        The relay that was coroded is in the fuse box under the bonnet on the driver side .
        It had the date scratched on it that corispond
        with the date the car was first registered in 1994
        so the original .
        If it's not the fuel pump relay what is it.
        it also means if it's not the fuel pump relay
        I am not sure if I go xed the at or not
        I guess the only way is to drive it till it breaks down or not
        ​​​​​​.

Comment

Lou, can you post the actual part number of that relay (205) and then we can try and identify it for you. Isn't there a label in the fuse box cover that tell you what the relays are!
          Like Dave has said the fuel pump relay should be under the drivers knee bin in the last position.
          Last edited by twoqu; 1 September 2017, 21:22.

Comment

If this is an aby engine, had a similar problem with my s2 a couple of years ago. Intermittent starting for a while, then dead. Pulled the codes, which said cam position sensor. Bought the Bosch part no equivalent, which fixed it. 60 ukp via bosch, a lot more from Audi. Since then have located a source for the optosensor and is a direct replacement, though you need to lightly rivet the new item, then epoxy, as the rivets are brass ad not very robust. Colour coded wires match the original as well...

Comment

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/threads/13901.phtml

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a6.../9/937-937020/

So position 6 in the under bonnet fuse box does look like its for the electric sliding roof! It's a bit confusing as despite apparently being dropped they were clearly used in much later production vehicles. The last p/n revision is the one shown on the parts diagram (scroll down to the 15's as that how all the relays are listed).
              So unfortunately I don't think this has anything to do with your issues. On the plus side perhaps your roof is grateful of a better supply of juice. Easy to see whether this is correct but pulling it out and seing if the roof works!
              Last edited by twoqu; 2 September 2017, 12:45.

Comment

Good answer Robin. I like the links that you used. However (sorry), there is a better post that has better info, including RHD UrS4/S6 info:

C4 UrS Under the Hood Auxiliary Relay Panel 1 Photos and Relay PNs :

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/152019.phtml

Comment

Just yanked the cover of my similiar vintage (and more importantly perhaps) UK market A6 C4. The p/n on the label is 4A0 010 137B.
                  It states that position 6 is for Schiebedach/ sliding roof.
                  Anyway the OP should have enough info to determine its function. All he has to do is look at the underside of the cover or yank the relay.

Comment

The part no for the relay that I replaced is 431951253d the other no is PA66,GF3o K

Comment

Back to square one . it is not the fuel pump relay at al ,and I clearly haven't solved the problem .
                      the car starts from cold every time then appears to run out of fuel after a few miles and refuses to start for 1o ten minutes it then starts straight away and runs for a few miles and repeats the cycle hall sensor was replaced
                      and it is the same.. but it is just like its run out of petrol .no misfire or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                        Back to square one . it is not the fuel pump relay at al ,and I clearly haven't solved the problem .
                        the car starts from cold every time then appears to run out of fuel after a few miles and refuses to start for 10 ten minutes it then starts straight away and runs for a few miles and repeats the cycle hall sensor was replaced and it is the same.. but it is just like its run out of petrol .no misfire or anything.
                        431951253D is a 205 relay but I am not convinced about where it was located or its true function. Can you post a photo of it in position?

BTW, your issue might be a tired/lame/feeble fuel pump that is overheating due to some conditions, e.g. low fuel levels in the tank:

http://12v.org/urs/Fuel%20Pump%20Tes...eduresRev3.pdf

Comment

I wonder if your car is early enough to have had those thermal fuses:
                          http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/126555.phtml
                          Can't remember the username of the guy (Sean) but he had basically changed everything only to discover it was the thermal fuse cutting power.
                          Obviously if you don't have them then its not any issue but could explain how the car resets itself. Guess you would need to check power to the injectors after it cuts out.
                          Are there any codes?

Comment

Robin my car must be quite an early s6 as it's a 1094 m
                            I have no real idea how to find out if I have the thermal
                            fuses I will study your links to see if I can find out.
                            Dave the fuel pump was replaced a while back
                            , but with an aftermarket one .
                            I changed the fuel filter the other day , and there was
                            am exstreme amount of pressure there, but as you say it could still be suspect .
                            When the car first let me down it was very low on fuel
                            Infact I thought that was it until I put Ten gallons in and it made no difference. Which is why I decided to change the filter

Comment

This the fuse I replaced with the date scratched on

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X