No announcement yet.

s6 broken down starts then stops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lou, down where the ecu lives there should be a plastic cover with a few fuses clipped into it. These will either be the metal thermal fuse or regular plastic/metal fuses. The metal thermal ones don't blow but open and close. So they could cut power, cool down, then reset back to power. A normal fuse would just blow and you would need to replace it. I have checked and it seems that thermal fuses are listed in those positions. So you will need to check them physically. The p/n is 443 937 105B.
    If you have them, just replace them with normal fuses of the same rating to see whether that is the issue.
    I thought that they may have been phased out when the S6 was introduced but there is no chassis break information to confirm that.
    My previous suggestion about checking the power at the injectors is complicated by the holding relay in the ecu. So you would need to check whether there is power at the injectors when cranking as thats when the ecu triggers the fuel pump relay.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Thank you Robin I will check

Comment

Originally posted by twoqu View Post
            I wonder if your car is early enough to have had those thermal fuses: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/126555.phtml
            Can't remember the username of the guy but he had basically changed everything only to discover it was the thermal fuse cutting power. Obviously if you don't have them then its not any issue but could explain how the car resets itself. Guess you would need to check power to the injectors after it cuts out. Are there any codes?
            The guy who posted that quattroworld thermal fuse post was James Murray. (Jamu).

I have document the above AAN ECU fuses and typically recommend replacing the UrS4 thermal fuses with normal spade fuses to eliminate random failures (due to overheating).

Callout for the Above ECU Fuse Panel Fuses - UrS4 and UrS6 differences:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/137287.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

I think it was Sean "Sleeper_Avant" that had the thermal fuse issue, about a year ago?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

That photo is useless. I wanted to see where it was located, not just "205".

Read this re: above ECU fuses:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/137287.phtml

Comment

Lou I just bumped Sean's in thread, it's called "I have a new toy..."
                  Round about post 105

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks John read it and it sounds very similar to my car
                    I will locate these fuse and change them

Comment

Well the 205 relay is indeed the sun roof .least that stops when I pull the fuse.
                      now to find the fuse and see what sort they are.
                      working twenty four seven at the moment and struggling to find the time.

Comment

Replace the crank sensor (G4)... Not expensive if you buy them from eBay.

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...or-maintenance

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...isn-t-starting
                        Last edited by Dynasty; 5 September 2017, 16:17.

Comment

I would think it's unlikely to be a relay, as they don't typically fail in that way. Sounds more like a dry joint or component faliing as it warms up, or a ecu memory location that has marginal level on a read, causing a processor crash, which then resets on the next power up. Might be worth swapping out the ecu if you have access to a spare. Otherwise, take the lid off and look for dry joints on the pcb's and remove / reseat any daughter boards. Similar problems here in the past with dry joints, especially on older kit subject to vibration and temperature cycling. Electric window winder module was the last example, but easy to fix...

Comment

Managed to get a better look at the fuses etc. above the the ecu and found some evidence of a little water ingress, from I think above somewhere.
                            Not sure if this is the issue but we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by 220bhp View Post
                              Managed to get a better look at the fuses etc. above the the ecu and found some evidence of a little water ingress, from I think above somewhere.
                              Not sure if this is the issue but we will see.
                              Does anybody even read my Monthly Reminder post(s)? Item 2 in the list:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/welcom...-forum-members

Comment

Thank you Dave. Even though your reply's are delivered with a sledge hammer these days, I have to say you are brilliant at getting to the bottom of things
                                I don't know why I haven't seen your monthly thread before . I promise to use it in the future.
                                Thank you again for all your efforts along with everyone else.
                                As to the car I have unblocked the drain holes and removed all the rubbish.
                                The carpet needs to come out , but it looks quite a job, not sure if you have to cut it out or not.
                                I have replaced the thermal fuses with ordinary fuses and checked and cleaned all the relays
                                The ECU doesn't look to bad apart from no 39 which looked a little different to the rest, a bit corroded, I have not opened it up as I don't know what I am looking for.
                                The car starts and runs ok but I am reluctant to take it on a run till I have removed and dried the carpet so I can refit the ECU.
                                Is there a how to on taking the carpet out. or is it just as well to cut it out.
                                ru

Comment

Working...
                                X