Coolant loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant loss.

I was stuck in traffic last week for about 15 mns and the coolant level/temp alarm came on. The indicated temp was below 90c, I checked under the bonnet and I had lost a litre or so of coolant.

The oil looks fine and there is no coolant smell from the exhaust. There is a slight smell of coolant now and then in the cab but nothing major. There is however a stronger smell outside the car when it's hot suggesting a leak in the enigine bay.

Has anyone got a troubleshooting guide?

TIA.

[QUOTE=raccabuda;n2000340 Has anyone got a troubleshooting guide? [/QUOTE]

This is for an AAN but it will be similar for an ABY or ADU. It won't be fun. Consider a fluorescent die and black light kit to help you track it down.

Link to the list: http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/325087.phtml

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
    94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

have a look underneath the after run pump to see if its wet there

Comment

Originally posted by mike74 View Post
        have a look underneath the after run pump to see if its wet there
        Item 46 in my diagram.

Comment

Years ago I had a leak underneath the header tank, I lost my head gasket to that one

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
          sigpic

Comment

The afterrun pump split on mine a few years ago, but took the end off and drilled several m2 size holes around the periphery, then bolted it back together with silicon rtv hi temp sealant . No problem since and probably a more robust job than the original, which was just heat sealed together. Heaven knows what the new price is...

Comment

Originally posted by Tridac View Post
              The afterrun pump split on mine a few years ago, but took the end off and drilled several m2 size holes around the periphery, then bolted it back together with silicon rtv hi temp sealant . No problem since and probably a more robust job than the original, which was just heat sealed together. Heaven knows what the new price is...
              The later after-run pumps were a better design than the first ones. PN is 078 965 561. Pricing is good. US$90 from ECS tuning for example:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bosch-pa...078965561~bos/

Here is a B5 Pump with an AAN pump:

Brad S (ThetaTau87 on quattroworld) said: "Here the B5 pump is installed. It doesn't fit perfectly in the rubber isolators, but I was able to get it into both without relocating either of them. You can see on the pic above that the rubber isolator rings fit easily on the metal body of the original pump, but on the B5 the front isolator is nearly off the end of the metal housing. From pulling into the garage with a cool engine to closing the hood after refilling the coolant and checking for leaks was about 15 minutes. By using two hose pinch clamps the coolant lost was also minimal."

REFERENCE:
              After-run Auxiliary Coolant Pump and Fan Switch and 324 Control Module Info:

http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/21503.phtml

Comment

URS4boy: Thanks for that. Looks like a much better design with screws holding the end cap on. Assume the electrical connections are the same, but can be sorted anyway. Will make a note of that for future reference...

Comment

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas to be getting on with there. I did notice today some white dusty residue around the expansion tank cap, could it be as simple as the cap not holding pressure?

Comment

Thats possible, when you take the cap off do you get any smell of exhaust gases? may be the head gasket on its way out. Also check out the short rubber pipe, no 5 in the pics above.
                    Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

No exhaust or bubbles in the header Greg. Nothing on the dipstick or out of the exhaust either. I'm going to try the cap first. TPS say they can get me OEM by Monday for £3.50 +vat.. I'll be very impressed if they do but fair play, they haven't let me down yet.

Thanks for the tip on the small pipe, next to look at.

Comment

Waterpump? I have had two leaking waterpumps. They didn't leak when hot, only when lukewarm. Lost about a liter per week.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                        Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                        BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                        BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

@ Thuppu, it is a question that it is possible to nip the nuts of the water pump a bit tighter to stop the leak, or is it the case that that doesn't work because it is the gasket that is at fault.

Furthermore, is it the case that one cannot get at the water pump because it is so 'buried' on the front of the AAN engine ?

I seem to be losing coolant and none of the pipes are showing signs of any leaks and I think it is the water pump.

If a new water pump is the only proper solution, I'll need to get a timing belt and tensioner and do the timing belt at the same time ?

Thanks for sharing your experience re the water pumps.

Comment

So much for TPS getting me an OE expansion tank cap for £3.50 + VAT. I went to pick it up and it was the brake reservoir cap! I thought it was cheap.

They have now relieved me of £18+ for the tank cap which is now fitted.

I'll let you know how |I get on.

Comment

You could use a bike pump and put some pressure in the coolant reservoir to find the leak. If you take of the small hose from the top of the main rad at the reservoir. Then you block of the house and put pressure in the reservoir using the free stud.
                              Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Working...
                              X