I think it is fooked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it is fooked

I ran the car for longer today - 20psi boost peak Mihnea?

1. The noisey tappet is still there - if anything it is worse after driving it.

2. This is worrying me. The oil catch tank is constantly puffing out vapour when the engine is warm. And after a drive there is the dreaded mayonaise sitting on top of the catch tank. Before my problems I had oil sitting on top of the catch tank after a hard drive but no vapour and it was clean oil. If I take the filter off the catch tank I can feel it puffing. I don't notice any mayonaise on the oil filler cap.

What can this be? Worn piston rings? Worn cylinders? Head Gasket not sealing? I was going to do a compression test but I decided I am going to get plastered becasue I am so ****** off. I am going to put in my garage for a few months till I can be bothered with it again :mad:
    S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Sorry to read about this Doug,sometimes these cars drive you fooking mad.Whenever mine used to go wrong i used to ditch it and leave it parked up till i could be bothered getting it fixed. Trouble was though, i soon got ****** off driving the van after a couple of days I'm sure you'll sort it soon enough......

Comment

No f'n way, this can't be true Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The boost is normal in the lower gears, I've decreased it on purpose to get you running and it wasn't really intended for WOT use, just to get you running for the MOT and before the next meet...

I have no idea what's going on, but maybe you should do a leakdown test or something?

Cheers and keep us posted,

Mihnea
      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

Dodgy valve stem seal?
        1995 S2 Avant with some upgrades

Designun Limited....
        Aerospace, Space and Motorsport Design Consultancy and hardware supply.

Comment

Doug,

It might not be anywhere near as bad as you think!

The noisy tappet is a f**ker, but it may just be blocked. Have you put new ones in or used the old ones? The noise may well go away after a couple of good runs.
          The mayonaise could be water that got into the block when the head came off. If you've not gone far or used the car more than a couple of times, this could dissapear within a day or two.
          I hope it's nothing more than teething troubles...
          91 Modded 3B
          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Steve could be right, Doug, the mayonnaise could probably be water that mixed with oil when you took the head off. Have you changed the oil?

I had a problem with 1 or 2 tappets after my car had been parked for a month or so, but after 2 oil changes they are fine now.

Sal

Comment

Doug dont worry about the tappets, you said yourself that it was thick oil you used. Do a cylinder leakage test, this will tell you if/where you have any problems.

Dont worrk about anything untill this has been done, it will give you a good indication of what is wrong, if anything.
              sigpic
              Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
              Audi UR Quattro
              Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
              Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
              Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I tried to do a compression check tonight - I couldn't get the guage to screw in the helicoiled hole - spark plugs go in ok though - the other chambers are ok ranging from 10 bar to 13 bar.

If I take the filler cap off or the dipstick out I can feel a fair bit of pressure - even getting spots of oil coming out the dipstick.

I put a sponge in the catch tank hole - this stops the visible vapour(and it can still breath) but it is mayonisey inside.

I think the noisey tappet was just low oil.

I doubt I had water in the block - I had the sump off so it was l well cleaned.

I think the water is lower as well.

Lee - valve stem seals were replaced.

What is involved in a leakdown test?

Should I be getting pressure in the oil breather system?

I am sure I am getting water and pressure into my oil system - most likely the headgasket isn't sealing correctly?

Should I just pull it all off - again and xchange the headgasket, amybe skimmed?

Worst case would be rings not sealing, or damaged bore - but that would not explain the water ?

HELP?

This is so dissapointing becasue it drives well - the diverter chatter is awesome - must be 2 or 3 second of chatter, and even the short shifter makes it fell faster

Comment

was the head leak tested when you had it overhauled?
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Doug, if you do have a water leak it's most likely from the head gasket or a crack in the head. Both can be resolved, but still a real pity after all the work you must have put in lately
                    Do you think the breather vapour/pressure is far worse than it was before the head came off? What other mods have you done that may be contributing to it?

Hope you get it sorted for the end of the month.
                    91 Modded 3B
                    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Leak tested - not that I know of. Hows that done?

Where is it likely to leak?

The only thing they did to the head was to clean up the inlets - checak valve seats, skim 8 thou off it, change VSOS.

I never actually checked if there was any pressure at the catch tank - We were getting some CLEAN oil coming out the catch tank after a blast before - now it is milky oil and pretty much a constant mist/steam out of it.

MARK - do you have a pressure on your catch tank?If I put my hand over it - it starts squealing as the air is getting out - it builds up a lot of pressure in no time.

Comment

Doug before you pull the head off you must check to see if you are losing gases through the rings! Basically put each piston onto TDC with the valves shut, chuck it in gear with the handbrake on hard and blast compressed air in the cylinder. You can then tell where the air is coming from. Ie, when you take the oil filler cap off then i get louder etc, or you can hear the air through the exhaust.

It sounds very much like a cracked head with worn rings What a bitch!
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

I don't understand that test Tom - I only have a small air compressor I don't understand what I hear will tell me what is wrong.

Comment

Doug,
                            I do have pressure in my catch tank, quite a lot, I have never had my hand over the outlet to test it though, it will build up pressure quickly when cold after starting cos the tolerances will be greater till warmed up.

Has the tapping gone now?, I dont know how far you have driven it but that mayonaise still could be water in the oil that needs to be 'steamed' off.

If you do have a ring gone/damaged it will most likely be the cylinder which caused your problems, #3? I hope not though.

Mark.
                            Mark - Modded

Comment

I need to get a compression tester withe th erubber end then to stuff down and test - my tester just would not start on the thread correctly and I don't want to force it.

I don't like the visible mist/steam that comes out of the oil filler cap,

I went for a 15 minute drive and left it for a while after.

I think the tappet noise has gone - think that was due to low oil level.

Comment

Working...
                              X