This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing WGFV for good? Mechanical vs N75 boosting

I have just had a modified S2 turn up at work which is running funny, taking a quick look at the car it seems that the WGFV has been completly removed. Also it has several codes relating to the ICV and evap canister. The car isnt running great but is boosting so its clearly been mapped to run like this. Does anyone have similar? It alll seems very odd. Almost like a stand alone system

Originally posted by CHEN View Post
    I have just had a modified S2 turn up at work which is running funny, taking a quick look at the car it seems that the WGFV has been completly removed. Also it has several codes relating to the ICV and evap canister. The car isnt running great but is boosting so its clearly been mapped to run like this. Does anyone have similar? It alll seems very odd. Almost like a stand alone system
    I have seen chips, which don't mind, that something is broken in the system. The "tuners" just put their "map" in to the limpback map area, disable cutout and vuala, no boost problems at all. Client happy until the engine falls apart.

Sau
    200 20vt 88' 3b, human carrier
    CQ typ85 with AAN inside, see project blog at http://kwlw.blogspot.com

Comment

Jees - prolly a 'superchip' customer at some point... Thumping big WG spring and the ECU has no way to modulate boost - regardless of knock, ambient conditions or any active faults. Could also be a rice-ridden aftermarket boost controller in there doing its own thing - but equally not communicating with the ECU so that fuel and timing is appropriate.

You say ICV. I assume you mean ISV - Idle Stabiliser Valve - car will run funny if that is broken or disconnected. ECU will detect faults if that or EVAP module is disconnected.

Diss'ing the EVAP isn't so much of a problem unless an air leak has been caused by bodging the PCV system... And how are petrol tank fumes now being treated and vented if the EVAP is bodged to OFF ?

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I wasn't too worried about the evap canister either but when you disconnect the ISV (i often call them Idle Control Valve, but stabiliser is more accurate) it makes no difference plus the idle is always high. About 1000rpm. There is no manual boost controller.

Comment

is there some sort of bleed valve in place of the wgfv? ive got that from the previous owner who had some mapping work done by dyalinx, it will be put back to stock at some point

Comment

I had my previous RS2 remapped at Automark, (Alered uses him) recommended him.
            Car went like stink, BUt WGFV was removed, left connected to wiring, joint in place to route pressure side of turbo to wastegate, so boost only controlled by mechanical spring/valve. Works fine to me..
            Rob..
            94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
            87 UR 20v ABY
            97 S6 Avant
            96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
            1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by CHEN View Post
              I wasn't too worried about the evap canister either but when you disconnect the ISV (i often call them Idle Control Valve, but stabiliser is more accurate) it makes no difference plus the idle is always high. About 1000rpm. There is no manual boost controller.
              The fuse has probably blown or not present as they two above share the same fuse BTDT!

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                I had my previous RS2 remapped at Automark, (Alered uses him) recommended him.
                Car went like stink, BUt WGFV was removed, left connected to wiring, joint in place to route pressure side of turbo to wastegate, so boost only controlled by mechanical spring/valve. Works fine to me..
                Any numpty could do that. Buy an electronic boost controller or heck a bleed valve of the bay and it will do the same thing.

It's not a good method of mapping. Infact this is what they did to Ross's car and then told him his 60 lb injectors were to big to map and replaced them with RS2 injectors

After hearing that I can't recommend them for S2 work.

Comment

I know what you you mean Jamo, I don't like the thought of not running one. I wonder if Rosses went there?
                  Automark has a good rep...
                  Rob..
                  94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
                  87 UR 20v ABY
                  97 S6 Avant
                  96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
                  1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
                    I know what you you mean Jamo, I don't like the thought of not running one. I wonder if Rosses went there?
                    Automark has a good rep...
                    It did as my post above. There's nothing wrong with doing it retro mechanical boost way but for what he's charging a homefry which is a full map of boost, ignition and timing is better value.

If i'm paying for a remap I want everything controlled by the ECU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                      It did as my post above. There's nothing wrong with doing it retro mechanical boost way but for what he's charging a homefry which is a full map of boost, ignition and timing is better value.

If i'm paying for a remap I want everything controlled by the ECU.
                      yep got to agree with that, you need the full protection the ecu provides. Actually quite suprised to hear thats how they map given i've only heard good things previously about them
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                        yep got to agree with that, you need the full protection the ecu provides. Actually quite suprised to hear thats how they map given i've only heard good things previously about them
                        Ah, you'll here good reports because the cars will go like s**t of a shovel on mechanical boost

Pays your money takes your choice.

Comment

No N75 and a dirty great wastegate spring I bet, 'cause the 'tuner' doesn't know how to map a boost chip.
                          SS

Comment

The funny thing is that the boost chip is the easiest one to do - by quite some margin. So if they don't know how to do that it really makes me wonder...

Paul
                            Paul Nugent
                            Webmaster http://S2central.net
                            Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                            2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                            2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Surely Aelred wouldn't send his cars to Automark if Mark wasn't a capable tuner, keeping all Motronic safety features intact??

I'm watching this thread closely, as I'm already planning my next set of mods (it's not even back yet) to hit 400+bhp, obviously requiring another remap. I've had a custom MRC remap in the past and am currently on a custom Automark remap. It flies, considering I'm still on a stock K24. I know that limp mode works as it cut in when I blew a hose off, although that was before the MAF sensor was moved to the pressure side (so now I'm guessing it would "know" about any leaks upto the intake pipe and limp mode wouldn't be needed).

@Jamo, what makes mechanical boost perform better? Is it because turbo longevity is sacrificed? Is there somewhere I can read up on this, without having to get a degree first to understand it?

It would be great for some forum comments on this from Aelred (or maybe Corey, as he uses Automark too).
                              David

'91 3B S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X