X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul's ABY Home Fries

Paul

Just got back from holiday and noticed one of the threads posted while I was away said that the new fries were now available. I don't know how many people have already subscribed and what their opinions are so far, but it would be nice to hear some comments. Especially from those with otherwise standard motors.

Also, what's the procedure for obtaining one?
    Is it best done by you, with the car, or is it an ECU by post job?
    If it's you with the car, is it a RR session or on the road?
    A fairly important question is What Do They Cost?

I was considering a 7A cam and RS2 intercooler at some point, probably after the ECU upgrade. Do you consider these worthwhile with no further upgrades intended?
    Also, will any remapping then be required for the re-fried ECU following these two additions?

These questions have possibly been answered before so appologies if you are having to repeat anything.

Alistair

Alistair,

Well I can give you some feedback on a stock ABY (well stock except for Milltek RS2 cat back system). The car has a lot more 'power' when revving her through the gears and as for the roll on motorway speed acceleration in high gears, its a real hoot :-). The cost, it's a steal :-)
    Martyn
    Martyn
    -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Thanks for the info Martyn. Anyone else got any comments.
      PaulN, sent you a PM but don't know if you got it. If not, let me know and I will try to resend.

Thanks

Alistair

Comment

Alistair - I didn't get your PM for some reason on this...

There's a few other chaps on the list who have fitted the homefries.

I been too busy to upload graphs etc onto S2 Central, but the spec is roughly as follows

430Nm circa 3000rpm
        280bhp circa 6000rpm
        Max overboost is ~1.4bar

Returns ~1-2 MPG better than standard on Optimax

All Motronic safety routines are in tact

All diagnostic routines also in tact - won't appear as chipped when plugged into dealership diagnostic equipment

Absolutely doesn't require any mechanical wastegate adjustment.

I can also do later cars with the 'immo' equipped ECUs.

Cheers,

Paul
        Paul Nugent
        Webmaster http://S2central.net
        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Hi, these home fries, how much are they for you to fit for me, i can remove the ecu, (even though i havnt done it yet )and post it. I like the sound of these especially since an insurance inspector recently inspected the damage on my gearbox and scratched his head. All he said was "by these are rather complicated cars arnt they?:wacked:" and walked off. I opened the bonnet and he went "Hmmmmmmmm? ". I just stood back and laughed as he was used to corsa's and other scrapyard fodder
          Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

200 quid for an ABY upgrade by post.

If the wastegate has been tampered with then I can tell you what setting to return it to for regular tried and tested config as per factory setting on the WG perch.

Cheers,

Paul
            Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

It definatley worth checking the WG if your car has ever been near a superchip or similar. Mine had (removed before I bought it) and following Paul N's instructions I found what was causing my short bursts of up to 1.5bar :eek2: .

Quattro sports had not set the WG perch back to the proper position when they removed the superchip

Paul N 1, QS 0 again!!!

I'll be having a chip as soon as the car gets through its MOT, hopefully with no surprises.

Leigh
              Ex 1994 Avant - now driving a Lotus 340r

Comment

Just get it Leigh!!! it'll pass the MOT with it ease! Power is everything only trouble is, once you get it you'll want MORE, then more, then more, then... I ain't stopping til my head explodes :-)
                Martyn
                -------------------------------------

www.vagparts.com

Comment

Excellent, cheers sounds like a bargain too me, now wheres that cheque book......., and yes i would like to check the spring tension if you could guide me through it
                  Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

home fries

Here's a question for Mr N.
                    Paul, when running with your chip is there less leeway for using 95 RON fuel than with the standard set up? There are some backwaters still where 97 or 98 RON just is not locally available. I probably fill up with 97 RON on 1 in 3 occasions. It seems to make no difference to my fuel economy nor perception of power. If you reckon the benefits of your fries would be seriously reduced if the car were run often on 95 RON fuel then it might make a difference to whether I was interested.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Can I ask Paul what he can do with a home fries for an RS2, which is currently stock.

I'd like more low end power and better economy - is this feasible ?
                      Dave

ex-Ragusa Green RS2

Comment

Dave, on an RS2, this is only achievable with real-time tuning, a "generic" chip can't do that on the RS2, it's too complicated to do. If you need help for that, let me know it and we can arrage something with Paul for next time I'm in the UK.

Cheers,

Mihnea
                        '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                        info@MRCTuning.com
                        Workshop Directions

Comment

@Nigel,

The homefries work fine on 95 RON but I can detect a little less zip under the bonnet when using it. You actually get best MPG and performance IME with Optimax - and no I don't have shares in Shell

I've never dyno'd the car running 95RON so I can't quote you any facts and figures, but even if we estimate that performance would be 5% worse than Optimax you'd be looking at 5% less than 430Nm which is approx 409Nm of torque and 5% less than 280bhp which is approx 266bhp. Both of which are gains you are definitely going to notice even with 95RON.

Paul
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

Hi Mihnea,

If you think my previous aims are achievable, then I'm game.

Regards

Dave
                            Dave

ex-Ragusa Green RS2

Comment

@ Paul

You have PM regarding these chips of yours!

@ All Postal service seems the way forward ..... what needs to be done to the ECU .... is it just chip carrier mods???

mine's just tipped over the 100K barrier - is this extra poke going to cause any probs ?

what does the ECU looklike? I'm imagining a blackbox the size of a videocassette - anyone got pics - or even better an idiots guide to this whole process?

Cheers!
                              Last edited by Alistair C; 21 September 2003, 21:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X