This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mihnea

done heaps of searches on here tonight and it looks like 280ish is the limit with standard turbo, thats a pity. need to do more research before i buy the s2 then.

Paul
    S4 2.7 Twin Turbo, with a few mods

Comment

Paul, what's the problem then??? Many people only think in terms of HP but what about thinking in terms of torque???? In stock form the 3B has 309 Nm, chipped it goes to as high as 420, the ABY has 350 Nm (in no overboost conditions, in overboost this goes to 380Nm) and chipped torque can go up to 440Nm.

Only this amount of torque with only 30 more HP (worst case scenario) will totally transform your car into something very different!!!

And, if this is not enough (which I can understand ), get yourself an RS2 turbo, RS2 exhaust manifold, injectors and your ECU can be remapped to as high as 360-370 HP and 600 Nm

I can understand you that only 50 more HP seems low for a stock engine, but think of an Astra coupe 2.0 Turbo that can only have 10 more HP than stock before the turbo lets go, or many many other cars where you'd have to totally revise the engine internals in order to get 50 safe additional HP out of the stock engine

HTH,

Mihnea
      Last edited by Mihnea; 21 December 2003, 16:46.
      '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
      info@MRCTuning.com
      Workshop Directions

Comment

Mihnea

u r right, The evo has spoilt me in terms of outright power for very little money. if i think in terms of torque 440nm gives me the same as I have now. my car was on the roller and made 321lbs torque which is 440nm I think.

I like the sound of 360-370bhp and 600nm awesome is that around 440lbs can the gearbox take that sort of power?

I will need to look through the site to give me a rough idea of cost for the RS2 bits.

what car is the 3B engine in, compared to the ABY. MY last S2 was a 1991 with 5 speed box. I will be going for the 6 speed this time is that the ABY engine?

thanks for u r help

Paul

Comment

ive not met another engine that gives u extra 50bhp for so little money.

but im a noob what do i know.

Ordering homefry end of next month hopefully.. and a diag to go with it

I see you have brought the jap attitude with u when u converted form evo to s2 time to leave the mass produced rush buckets behind and endulge into some real quality!
          ABY Coupe
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulm
            I like the sound of 360-370bhp and 600nm awesome is that around 440lbs can the gearbox take that sort of power?
            Paul
            Yes, the gearbox is fine for that sort of power. 450Bhp conversions still run the standard box and clutch safely afaik.

what car is the 3B engine in, compared to the ABY. MY last S2 was a 1991 with 5 speed box. I will be going for the 6 speed this time is that the ABY engine?
            The 3B is in the 1991, 5-speed models, so your previous one was just that, the 3B. Anything with a 6-speed is not a 3B, unless someone's swapped it!

Don't forget though that whilst the 3B has less power than the ABY, the later models are actually something like 110kg heavier, what with the extra equipment, and the extra mass in the gearbox...

The S2 is a fab car, with bags of potential, and, just as importantly, character. Plus other people don't know what to make of them on the whole.
            Ex S2 owner, now running around in an A4 Avant quattro...

Comment

Im sure the specs say that ABY has extra 10 bhp, extra gear etc.. but that fraction of a second slower on 0 - 60.

one again, what do i know, im just reapering what clever blokes say.
              ABY Coupe
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ski
                Im sure the specs say that ABY has extra 10 bhp, extra gear etc.. but that fraction of a second slower on 0 - 60.

one again, what do i know, im just reapering what clever blokes say.
                Actually the ABY is faster than the 3B!
                www.irry.com

Comment

Actually the ABY is faster than the 3B!
                  I think in Coupe form you are right, but I think the Avant is slower as it is slightly heavier and also has the aerodynamics of a garden shed. A very fast garden shed mind you!
                  ex '93 Avant owner

Comment

Ahem, the 3B gearbox is weak. I have proof! Gearbox has failed twice running 'increased' torque! And its not due to driver error, its just a crappy box that cant take the power.
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Yeh but Tom, you break everything!!!
                      Ant

2007 Mk5 Golf GTi, 3 door, DSG, REVO Stg 2 and other goodies
                      2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Shut up Ant! Git. Sshhh, dont tell him that!
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                        Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

thanks for the replies lads.

Don't get me wrong the evo is a awesome car but just not for me anymore

after thinking about it i am going for the KKK26 with #6 turbine as i really want close to 400

great site by the way got loads of info from the search facility.

Just need to get shot of the evo and find an S2 now, so i can start playing again

Paul

Comment

Paul, a straight K26 with #6 hot side can't do close to 400. A K26/27 with #8 hot side can go pretty close to it with full boost available below 4000 RPM but still won't feel as brutal as an RS2 turbo making full boost by 3000 or so...

Cheers,

mihnea
                            '98 Silver Grey 2.7T S4, dual 2.75" turbo back exhaust with no cats, FMIC, BIG injectors, 10 Bar motorsport fuel pump, modded RS4 turbos, tubular exhaust manifolds, custom intakes, RS4 MAF, Bilstein PSS9, H&R ARBs, 19" BBS CH, custom remap, 511 BHP/505ft-lbs

www.MRCTuning.com
                            info@MRCTuning.com
                            Workshop Directions

Comment

Mihnea
                              I was going by what you said some time ago, thats why i thought it would make close to 400bhp. ?? Have i missed something along the way, if i have that will be nothing new.

The turbos are available with:

-K26#6 turbine and hot side housing (full boost at about 3kRPM), maximum HP on RS2 EM: 390 safe and reliable HP and about 520-540Nm of torque

-K26#8 turbine and hot side housing, 0.7 Bar at 3k RPM, peak torque around 4k with 2 Bar overboost and maximum HP on RS2 EM with good exhaust and no cats: 420+ HP and 540 Nm of torque

-K26#10 turbine and hot side housing for SQ or MTM S1 EM (or tubular), pulls from 3.5k and full boost at about 4kRPM, maximum HP can go up to 480HP/torque 645 Nm @ 4100 RPM (warning, big injectors and serious engine work is necessary). (I've just edited that because I was mistaken between this beast and a K27/29 with magnesium compressor wheel that can go up to 560HP)

The #6 and #8 hot side turbos work fine with RS2 injectors on 4.5 bar fuel pressure (though I can also supply different injectors for less money than the RS2s with similar or higher flow), the #9 works optimally with 600cc injectors (available from me too) and 4 Bar fuel pressure. Bosch Motorsport fuel pumps are recommended!

Custom remapping is available too of course, otherwise there's no real chance to take advantage of these turbos. The #9 hot side might work even better (lower RPM boost) with a 2.5l bottom end that flows more exhaust gasses, thus spools the turbine earlier.

The turbos only require a special metal pipe for the compressor inlet (available from me too), of course an RS2 intercooler is a lot better for those setups, but bigger is good too of course

Cheers all,

Mihnea

Last edited by Mihnea on 26-09-03 at 04:52 PM

Comment

That post was for K26/27/29 turbos. IMO, the K29 compressor wheel is a bit overkill and a "straight" K26/27 with #8 hot side (thus with no K29 compressor wheel) would have better low-end performance (read a K29 compressor wheel does almost nothing below 5k in 1st gear).... Ask Doug, maybe he remembers better than me...

Cheers,

Mihnea

www.MRCTuning.com
                                info@MRCTuning.com
                                Workshop Directions

Comment

Working...
                                X