Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice... Cheers for all the prices. Be good to know the Beru price to compare.

If the wires are part of the packs then it's not looking too hopeful.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

I took a look at the coil this morning. The wires are definately part of the coil. The black plug you have described only has tabs on one side and is filled in with resin. I can't see that it any more than a cover to guide the wires correctly. Unfortunately the combination of poor lighting in my office and my iPhone camera mean I can't get a good enough picture of it.

For the record the wire lengths are as follows:

Yellow wire 840mm
      Black wire 1110mm

Ben
      the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
      1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Thanks for that, seems that the wiring was never seen as a weak point then...
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Just doing this myself with 5 new coils . I've removed the plus and lifted wiring and whole unit away from the car, and as in previous posts surely better to trim wires on new coils to size and fit new plugs rather than splice ? If I can get right plugs that is, and follow exactly which wire goes where to waht plug , I could set up new loom /coils next to originals before swapping them over to cover ?

Comment

The wiring aspect is pretty easy. You will have to splice, as the wiring that comes with the new coils isn't long enough IIRC. I recommend solder rather than splice connectors, it is a more reliable joint. Make sure you protect the joints - adhesive lined heatshrink is good. You can reuse the existing connectors - use a de-pinning tool to remove existing wiring & pins. You will need buy new pins for them and crimp them onto your new harness. They are male Junior Power Timer pins - easy to get hold of.
            Most importantly, once you have made the new harness, get all of the wiring inside some fibre glass heat resistant sleeving - that will protect it from going brittle and should last another 20 years.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

the new coil wires are easily long enough and more - beru coils - thought its a no no to solder as in previous posts...? ideally id like to do it with no joints ...

Comment

In that case its even easier - you need just over 900mm of wire for coil No.1 so as long as you have that you will be fine.
                Just reuse your existing harness plug and buy some JPT terminal pins.

EDIT: Don't forget you will still need to joint the engine earths to a decent core wire to the earth eyelet. Nothing wring with solder if its done properly and protected. How do you think all the components in your ECU are connected together
                Last edited by Error404; 20 October 2013, 15:53.
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

ok sounds like a plan... will get some new terminals for the plugs... is there a specific way of getting the pins out of the plugs as iirc they're a pain to get out without destroying the plug ! edit - crimp tools and extraction tools ! lol ... on it.

I've also got the rocker off as weeping at the rear down the back of the head, I also need a new sensor ( white one at back of head ) and is there anything else I should renew while I've got access down there ? thanks for the help.
                  Last edited by Gazmitchell; 20 October 2013, 16:19.

Comment

yeah get a set of de-pinning tools, the ones you need for the JPT connectors are like two parallel blades like this:

You can do it with a pair of paperclips but its a bit of a faff and easy to get really f&*ked off with it really quickly
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thread resurrection...can anyone post a link to the correct junior power timer pins for doing this? Don't have my loom in front of me but it's a job I will be doing soon so trying to gather all parts.
                      1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Any of these suitable for the white connectors? Gold, Tin or Silver plating options anyone know what's best?
                        http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connec...sid=4294957856

And one of these for the black and brown plugs?
                        http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/connec...6C206D616C6526
                        1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

The oe ones are tin I expect. I'm not 100% on the correct ones though. Error404 will know though
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks Greg. Thought i had everything to finish this after gathering new coils, cable housing, crimp tool and new terminals.

Turns out I've bought the wrong male terminal pins for the white connectors and to top it off I've already cut my loom. I really want to avoid soldering so can anyone point me in the direction of the correct male pins? I think they are available from audi but then come with a sprig of wire already crimped on which isn't what I'm after as i'd then need to solder.

On the plus side I've done the brown and black connectors and the female pins in the link above fit. I just don't see these male pins listed for sale anywhere:
                            1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

They are AMP Junior Timer terminals, quite hard to get hold of. I may have a few I'll need to check.
                              They are pretty much phased out, that series of connector are NLA from AMP as far as I know. You can use a JPT connector which is very similar, and fits the engine harness connector, this is what I use on my coil harnesses

HTH
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Thanks Alex if you have some i would be grateful.

So the other option is 2 JPT connectors and associated pins to replace the 2 white OE connectors. Good to know there is a solution if i can't get the pins.

1995 Audi S2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X