billet wheels on rs2 turbos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• billet wheels on rs2 turbos...

this was posted on motorgeek, figure people would find it interesting here...

RS2 turbo that munched something:

plug and play billet wheel for rs2 turbo:

discuss.

Nice, is it made from a forged billet or standard extruded bar.

Comment

Less inertia is nice for sure. Is it a direct replacement in terms of trim or is it designed for higher / lower flow? I ran a k24 7000 billet hybrid for a bit and spool was very fast and it sucked air in like a beehatch
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Interesting, what's the cost and improvements to flow?
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

direct replacement in the sense that it fits the stock turbo and housing, however it is a 10 blade compressor designed for better/more flow, also is like 40% lighter then the oem wheel. this is the first one going out so it is still being proven.

Comment

For me It will flow and spool better but I don't think the bhp levels will raise that much
            Would need bigger turbine / housing for that IMO
            How much is that wheel and how was the balancing?

Comment

Will be interesting to see how this goes. I'm enjoying the RS2 turbo at the mo but there's always room for improvement
              Cheers'en, AndyC
              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Lol easy Solidworks design with just a single loft, cut revovle and some fillets!
                I like the idea of billet replacements as a solution for the future, not sure about the efficiency though.

Comment

Originally posted by quattro84 View Post
                  Lol easy Solidworks design with just a single loft, cut revovle and some fillets!
                  I like the idea of billet replacements as a solution for the future, not sure about the efficiency though.
                  Nice snarky posting...I'm not sure what your point is.

There is a wee bit more to engineering than modeling parts. Sure, that is a relatively simple model, but I do believe there was a radial pattern required too that you missed.

What about choosing the proper material, optimizing inducer and exducer sizes/trim, implementing extended tip geometry, reducing rotational inertia, flow analysis, and of course actual testing. These have been pretty thought out.

If you like the idea of billet replacements in the future, why not believe they can be done in the present? The efficiency can at least be improved from what RS2 was capable of.
                  Last edited by Wheeljack; 18 April 2012, 01:06.

Comment

from the manufacturer

"The overall weight is around 46g compared to 62g for the rs2 wheel. Now the comp wheel is attached to a shaft, bearings and another turbine wheel that weighs significantly more than the compressor wheel. In the end of the day it is only a 6-7% reduction in overall inertia moment, put the aero is what is really what will help. CAD modeling and flow analysis show it will be good for around 36lbs/min, or roughly 360whp really pushed at around 2.5 bar. We will see "

Comment

I am still not sure if the Garrett GTX design is the best for an Impeller. Looking at the new Holset and BorgWarner wheels they still have secondary blades.
                      Go Holset or Go RS4

Comment

I certainly think it's worth the research if someone is willing to put in the time... as Hoffer has proved, you can make a frankenturbo to good effect when the balance is right. What I like about this is there's no machining involved, just fit and balance so cost is minimal. It'll be interesting to see how the figures come out.

As Jamo pointed out, I would expect the turbine to become the bottleneck here, but peak flow isn't the only characteristic that can be changed. Better response and +10-20hp would be a pretty good upgrade though, especially if it avoids writing the turbo off!
                        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
                          Nice snarky posting...I'm not sure what your point is.

There is a wee bit more to engineering than modeling parts. Sure, that is a relatively simple model, but I do believe there was a radial pattern required too that you missed.

What about choosing the proper material, optimizing inducer and exducer sizes/trim, implementing extended tip geometry, reducing rotational inertia, flow analysis, and of course actual testing. These have been pretty thought out.

If you like the idea of billet replacements in the future, why not believe they can be done in the present? The efficiency can at least be improved from what RS2 was capable of.
                          My point being that this makes it look quite easy to develop an impeller from scratch, while it takes the OEM's years to gain 1% in efficiency through unlimited resources.
                          Latest and greatest achievements are recently found through coatings, which you need if you go billet to reduce abrasive wear by the elements.

As for the replacements, sure it's doable in the present and i like the motivation of those guys to even do all this work for such a small niece market. Not directly convinced of the benefits in terms of efficiency though.

Comment

Hank?
                            Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                            Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                              Hank?
                              Yes. Hank's design on the wheels. We are working with him on this project, first turbo is being assembled and will be dyno tested. Stay tuned
                              Marc Swanson
                              Proprietor, EFI Express
                              95.5 //S6 Avant
                              90' Coupe Quattro V8 4.2L twin turbo
                              93' //S4
                              83' UrQ
                              97' F250 7.3 diesel

Comment

Working...
                              X