Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible ally rad group buy

Morning gents,

Currently in the process of having an ally rad made for my coupe by an ex radtec engineer. I've gone for a size dimensionally the same as my stock Behr rad, and I will not be using the aux rad. Fan and shroud fitment will be as stock. The core we've decided to go for is a twin 22mm which actually works out at around 50mm in total. Rough calculations from Colin have suggested a 25% in cooling efficiency.

Just wondering if anyone else would be interested in one of these, and if so I may organise a group buy? Be nice to give Col a decent order as he's a top bloke as has just taken the plunge to set up on his own. I believe the price would be between £300-£350 per unit.

My dad had a rad made by him last year for his hot rod and quality is superb. I'll post some pictures later this week when mine arrives, just thought is put the feelers out

Some pics would be great. I have not yet been impressed by the examples I've seen.

Comment

do you mean a 25% improvement in cooling efficiency over the stock unit? Be interested to see some pics too
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Hi tom I could be interested in one can you get it thicker? Done same removed pre rad but fitted oil cooler in that position

Comment

Yea 25% increase over stock rad.

The next size up is twin 25mm tubes, working out around 55mm total. Twin 30mm tubes are also available. I looked into this myself but the price increased considerably as he would have to order these in specially. That's why I'm going for the size listed above, reasonable price for a decent upgrade

Comment

I'm potentially interested Tom
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

intersted...

but when upgrading, 25% seems a bit modest.. approx how much more expensive would the 25 or 30mm versions be?

Comment

I'm interested as well, would like to see some photo's of his work
                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I checked ETKA and it lists both for S2s and typ85 90 quattro 480 mm radiators, but if someone can comfirm they have both same fitment I'd be interested in one too.

Comment

Originally posted by Laaf View Post
                    I checked ETKA and it lists both for S2s and typ85 90 quattro 480 mm radiators, but if someone can comfirm they have both same fitment I'd be interested in one too.
                    Same here

Comment

The inlet/oulet on the radiator are not in the exact same position between type 85 and newer 5-pot radiators. So no, not a straight swap.

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                        The inlet/oulet on the radiator are not in the exact same position between type 85 and newer 5-pot radiators. So no, not a straight swap.
                        Well as of now I have piping and bits of hoses in there with the radiator a bit tilted. Guess having them in another position is not a big issue for my part. And sporting a 20VT in there it maybe even less of a problem.
                        I have a Furans reversed IM on the shelf and looking to replace the PAS pump with a electric one, so the raditor would get correctly positioned along with ABY water rail and thermostat housing.

Comment

i remember reading on some Ferrari forum that a thicker core wasn't always better for cooling. It was something to do with the core used being used at it's most optimum design. On another thought i use nothing but Evans liquid on my bike... And am impressed with it's effects there. Would be difficult to do on a car but anything is possible??? www.evanscoolants.co.uk if anyone wants a read up on it???

Comment

Well as of now I have piping and bits of hoses in there with the radiator a bit tilted. Guess having them in another position is not a big issue for my part.
                            It won't be much of a problem indeed, but with stock engine layout there may be an issue which can likely be solved with using type 89 hoses.

BTW I'll get you a picture this evening

Comment

Have not heard back from Colin yet gents, but I'll talk to him about the prices for a batch asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X