Occasional overboost cutout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occasional overboost cutout?

Every now and then, maybe once a week or so, ( yesterday I drove about 500 miles it happened 3 times), I get a cutout at full throttle.
    Because its so rare I always miss what rpm and boost pressure, I always back off and or change up when it happens. I think yesterday I saw the boost gauge hit 30lb once just after it did the lurch,(car is mapped for about 25-27lbs, I think, Mihnea?) usually happens in a high gear and I think usually at around 3.5 - 4k rpms. If you floor it again immediately after, it is fine, so its not going into limp mode.

Any ideas guys?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Sticky WGFV? You using the standard breather system or modified one?
    -

Comment

Or a small boost leak.
      sigpic
      Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
      Audi UR Quattro
      Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
      Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
      Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

WGFV new (ish) will give it a clean tomorow. Stock breather yes, but again all new parts since I blew the cam cover gasket out a few weeks back..

Will pressure test again tomorrow too, didn't have time today. Have the Mark H mod to fit too.

Strange that its so irregular, didn't do it at all today and I really tried

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Tom your avatar is really naughty

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

When this happens, does the car just feel like it's accelerating like it has no turbo?
            acidtrax

Comment

Originally posted by Bibby
              When this happens, does the car just feel like it's accelerating like it has no turbo?
              No, it stops accellerating like the fuel pump or ignition has been swithed off for a second. I dont think it can be ignition though or it would backfire.

I think it happens if I run up to quite high boost, back off a bit then floor it again.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I had this and still do occasionally, i clean the MAF connector with switch cleaner and it stops doing it.
                Ragusa Coupe gone!
                sigpic
                VW T4 Multivan. TSW Holstens hiding in the garage for the winter.
                VW Mk1 Caddy pickup, modded or "ruined"
                vw T5 Kombi. In the process of being "ruined"

Comment

It sounds like 'MAF cutout' or fuel pump shut off. It is triggered by the MAF having more than the expected amount of air going into it. This is normally casued by a boost leak.

Do you still have the IC o-ring with 30psi of boost???

Ask Mihnea what level he set your MAF. I know that mine is at MAX so it wont do that even with a pipe off.
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                    It sounds like 'MAF cutout' or fuel pump shut off. It is triggered by the MAF having more than the expected amount of air going into it. This is normally casued by a boost leak.

Ask Mihnea what level he set your MAF. I know that mine is at MAX so it wont do that even with a pipe off.
                    Audiman:

Is this the same as overboost protection? And does this register as ECU fault code?

/Jonas R.
                    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Yes still have the IC O-ring, and its not leaking (yet)...
                      Did the pressure test today. With all the pipes connected and pressurising via the MAF hose I get a small leak at the throttle butterfly pivot. With the tube and IM blanked off I get a creaking noise from behind the throttle body at a certain pressure and the crankcase pressurises, oil filler will start to seep air.. Undo oil filler and you get a large PAAHHH... So this is happening via the small side hose from the MAF to turbo hose. I think this is normal yes? Cos the MAF hose never sees pressure IRL.

Anyway I've decided I need a catch tank... Cos I still dont understand the breather system, eg. what exactly is the little saucepan shaped thing in the breather hose below the IM?? Is it a valve or just a vapour trap?

Washed out the WGFV with WD40 and went for a spin, SH*T what a lot of smoke!! Some old guy waved his hand around in front of his face as I went by as if to say "what a stink", sorry mate. Couldn't get it to cut out and boost was slightly reduced from before so maybe the WGFV was sticking a bit.

I wonder if it'll do it again?

@ Mihnea what do you think? How is my MAF set?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
                        Anyway I've decided I need a catch tank... Cos I still dont understand the breather system, eg. what exactly is the little saucepan shaped thing in the breather hose below the IM?? Is it a valve or just a vapour trap?

It's a combined restrictor and check valve.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by porkkis
                          It's a combined restrictor and check valve.
                          Right, well I'm going to take it off again and have a look then, when I looked the other day it had some condensation / mayo in it so maybe its gummed up.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Its a crappy valve John, just change it, not expensive. Stops the turbo dragging oil from the sump!
                            sigpic
                            Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                            Audi UR Quattro
                            Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Its a crappy valve John, just change it, not expensive. Stops the turbo dragging oil from the sump!
                              Ok, yes, I see how it works now, if there's a lot of vacuum it pulls the diaphragm in and shuts right down to a small hole. At low vacuum (idle?) it opens up for the sump to breath easily.

Well at least its not supposed to hold boost..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X