X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must say it’s a beautiful car in the flesh

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Might be a fake plug or maybe lean running caused by fuel pressure dropping.
      Can you hook up a fuel pressure gauge? Not easy to see the pressure when driving but a friend got creative with a gauge on the line by the fuel rail, a torch and a GoPro

Have you got a good solid 12V feed to the fuel pump? The original wiring is really thin.
      I run my fuel pump direct from the battery under the rear seat via a relay operated from the original wiring.
      OK, so I've knocked a few easy ones off the list. I have measured the voltage to the pump at the connector point underneath the rear seat and directly at the pump terminals and I am getting a very healthy 12.7V's.

Next I swapped out the injectors for a known good set and went for a test drive, noting that I have already changed the spark plugs. Unfortunately, it's the same.

As much as I don't ant to hear this, I was talking to the mechanic whilst having the A4 B7 MOT'd and he said it will be your pump. We also discussed the filter to which he noted that it had been on the car for 6 years and that everything has a shelf life. With this in mind I was thinking of rigging up some container in the car and running a pipe direct to the pump to eliminate the tank restricting fuel. That said, the pre pump fuel filter is clean and has been for a couple of months.

So, I need to see what's in the shed and make some device to measure fuel pressure. Where do you gents get your Bosch 044 pumps from? I thought about e-bay but there is so much none genuine stuff on there these days so I want a reliable source without it costing the earth?
      Last edited by steverrquattro; 5 September 2021, 15:25.
      Steve

1990 RR 20V
      1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Bought my "genuine" Bosch pump from KMS on ebay. Failed after 2 years and 1k miles with exactly your symptoms. KMS were very unhelpful and declined a refund stating it was over a year old. I now have a 25 yr old RS2 pump fitted and it's working perfectly.
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Looks like I’ve had a visitor. Would that be you Mike?
          Attached Files
          Steve

1990 RR 20V
          1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

The fuel pump fairies have been by the looks of it
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by steverrquattro View Post
              Looks like I’ve had a visitor. Would that be you Mike?
              Yes Steve that’s me haha

Comment

Not fitted the pump yet and before I decide to have a can of petrol floating around in the back feeding the pump directly, I thought I’d check for blockages. So clamped the pipe and then disconnected it, put the air line in and removed the clamp. Seven squirts of compressed air with the fuel tank cap removed, re clamp and then fitted the pipe back on.

Several minutes later and I’m on a shakedown. I can only say OMG and it’s FAF!

The downside is that I’m going to have to take the tank out and clean it. Maybe time to get an alloy one made.

It’s certainly been a journey (12 years) to get this and other things sorted but happy now to be moving onto the next thing that breaks or needs repairing.

Thanks for everyone’s help and nice to close a thread off.
                Steve

1990 RR 20V
                1982 SWB UR - RS2 Engine

Comment

Originally posted by steverrquattro View Post
                  Not fitted the pump yet and before I decide to have a can of petrol floating around in the back feeding the pump directly, I thought I’d check for blockages. So clamped the pipe and then disconnected it, put the air line in and removed the clamp. Seven squirts of compressed air with the fuel tank cap removed, re clamp and then fitted the pipe back on.

Several minutes later and I’m on a shakedown. I can only say OMG and it’s FAF!

The downside is that I’m going to have to take the tank out and clean it. Maybe time to get an alloy one made.

It’s certainly been a journey (12 years) to get this and other things sorted but happy now to be moving onto the next thing that breaks or needs repairing.

Thanks for everyone’s help and nice to close a thread off.
                  I’m glad you found out the problem Steve I’ll pop round next Sunday if your free mate

Comment

Great news Steve!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X