Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MRC Tuning no longer tuning 5 Cyl 20v Turbo engines... who to go to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Especially at the current rate my urs6 is drinking fuel, is 18mpg about right for a urs6 driven by a 22 year old testosterone fueled male?

Comment

The objective of my project is such that I do not have to tune these myself ever gain
      And the only way to achieve this is by putting accessible and easy to use tools out there.

Then it'll be just like mapping another standalone ecu.
      http://tuner.ee - http://www.facebook.com/tuner.ee

Comment

MRC Tuning no longer tuning 5 Cyl 20v Turbo engines... who to go to?

Originally posted by prj View Post
        The objective of my project is such that I do not have to tune these myself ever gain

And the only way to achieve this is by putting accessible and easy to use tools out there.

Then it'll be just like mapping another standalone ecu.

Have alot of interess on this Option

Comment

That would be ideal to do an easy tune like a standalone. Specially for older cars tjat are not pushed toto the limit. Parts are more difficult to find and alternatives often require remap.
          1967 fiat 500 future project
          1976 audi 100 coupe S
          1989 vw corrado 16V
          1989 audi 90 quattro 20V sport
          1994 audi RS2 project
          1994 audi RS2 parts car
          1995 audi RS2 project

Comment

Originally posted by b4Dan View Post
            Especially at the current rate my urs6 is drinking fuel, is 18mpg about right for a urs6 driven by a 22 year old testosterone fueled male?
            Quite good I get about 10 mpg when i floor it

Comment

Originally posted by prj View Post
              Believe or not, but it can't unless you have a giant flowbench and a known good MAF. And that doesn't help it any since they tend to go pop after RS2 power.

This thread has motivated me to work on plug and play solution again...
              I am drawing the board right now... the problem is always to finish these projects.
              Perhaps some of the members can help out, if you need some help with the board or getting it made, but I assume time is the enemy here?
              Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Hardware is probably no problem - I got the designs pretty much sorted. It's just a couple chips for either side.
                The main issue is writing all the software...

There are two boards (one for each side), they have a SPI bus between them, I want to allow analog WBO2 input, 8-way map switch, pass-through ECU comms through the daughterboard, meaning no ten million cables - just single USB to plug in, maybe flex fuel(?) and so on...

Then there is the whole question of writing the windows software to interface with it.

Comment

We're all counting on you Dmitri

Comment

MRC Tubing no longer tuning 5 Cyl 20V

Originally posted by vti2 View Post
                    Have alot of interess on this Option
                    I for one would be very interested of this from PRJ. A used VEMS cost around US$900.00 with a mild tune closed to RS2. Support from tuner cost 100.00 per
                    hour and no telling how long it takes and then adding on the MAF issues?
                    Please keep us posted and thank you PRJ.

Comment

keep us posted, sounds like the thing to make our cars more future proof. don't mind paying serious money if needed (don't let our county's reputation fool you, as an S2 owner I am used to spending ).

Originally posted by robo View Post
                      You know how far is Estonia
                      just a short boat trip from Helsinki

Comment

The target price point is around 500 EUR. Any more than that is pointless, as you approach the hardware cost of plugin solutions.

That said, from my experience actually tuning the stock ECU is much easier than standalones, because a LOT of the things just work. Cold start, warmup, idle pid and so on.

The hard part is finding the correct maps and how to tune, but I am taking care of that...

If there is someone with embedded experience who doesn't mind looking over some hardware schematics, let me know. Software is not a problem for me, but designing hardware - I am an amateur at best.

There are two limitations to M2.3.2, which can not really be solved:
                        1. Dwell time. The way ignition works, is the chip that calculates timing and dwell is actually the same like the one in cars with a distributor. What the second chip does that calculates boost control and knock retard, is it acts as a solid state distributor. So even though the system is a COP style system, the dwell time is limited exactly the same, as it would be on a distributor based system.
                        There is a single ignition line from one MCU to the other. When it is pulled high, it starts to dwell the selected coil, and when it is pulled low it fires the spark.

The maximum dwell time per RPM in ms is as follows:
                        Code:
                        1000	24.0
                        2000	12.0
                        3000	8.0
                        4000	6.0
                        5000	4.8
                        6000	4.0
                        7000	3.4
                        8000	3.0
                        What this means in practice - you are fine using the stock coils up to 600hp or so, and you are fine with the new style TFSI coils everywhere, as 3ms on those will run 2.5 bar boost.
                        But you can't really use some specific coils that require very long dwell times and charge kinda slowly....

2. RPM
                        Basically, the stock system is designed to run up to 10000rpm.
                        Unfortunately this is no longer the case when you add code to it. Specifically code that datalogs ten times more info than it normally does.
                        Surprisingly it is not the fuel/ign chip that does the majority of the map lookups that gives in first, but rather the boost/knock chip.
                        This is because the fuel/ign chip operates on a "best-effort" style system. It recalculates the parameters 100 times per second, and the background calculation of the fuel/ign can easily slow down to 50-60 times/sec at 8000 rpm or so without any ill effects.
                        However, the knock chip is real time. It has to process the knock from every single ignition event and it has to do that 5 times per 2 engine revolutions. As you saw with the dwell time in the first part, the time available to do this decreases very rapidly with rising RPM.

The only solution is reducing the logging speed to the level that the boost/knock chip can handle.
                        Up to 7200 rpm, there is no problem doing 10hz logging. But at 8000 rpm, you can't do much more than 4-5hz, because simply the processor is not powerful enough for this - it is so busy processing the knock, that it doesn't have time to do almost anything else.

So basically the design limit for the system where you can actually log something meaningful is approximately 8500 rpm. However anyone running over 8000 RPM most likely has a dry sump on their car and most likely the car is used exclusively for racing, so this ECU solution is useless to them anyway.

Just thought maybe it's a good idea to come clean on the physical limitations of the ECU.
                        Last edited by prj; 13 March 2017, 13:37.

Comment

Thanks for all your hard work and explaining the limitations. This will be a great solution for street cars such as mine. I'll buy it when it comes together. Wishing you spare time

Comment

MRC Tuning no longer tuning 5 Cyl 20V

I am interested since not looking to race. Like to make a reservation please. Thanks for your great work PRJ and keep us posted.
                            Best

Comment

Would also be interested. What about compatibility between different ECU's? 3B, ABY, AAN (pre 551C and post), ADU?

Would EGT corrections\readings also be possible? Launch control ?
                              Last edited by RichLV; 13 March 2017, 14:54.

Comment

Nice! That dwell won't be a problem with tfsi coils, and they handle 3bar boost easily.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                                Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                                BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                                BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Working...
                                X