Paint Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pasbogdan View Post
    You could save some money by getting the car stripped.Ex:door handles,all trim/lining,lights,mirrors etc etc.
    Do you mean basically strip the panels off the car to save on masking etc? Nice idea
    1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

Not getting panels off the car.That should be avoided if all of them are perfect aligned.
      Getting trims,lamps,mirrors etc
      Door handles should be painted off the doors.That involves removing interior door cover etc.
      And that will save you money.Paint shop will only prep/mask/paint and will not charge you for getting off front bumper,fog lights etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
        What is the difference between the two hardeners for that D800 Rob?
        PPG lists a D802 Standard Hardener, or a D803 MS Hardener with different mixing ratios?
        I tried both about 20 years ago. Couldn't see any difference. I use the 802. It's amazing gear. Applied with my devilbis gti pro clear gun most customers think it's already been flatted and polished when it's just the gun finish.
        Rob..
        94 RS2 Noggy,LHD,MTM map,18"cup 1s,245/35/18,Bilsteins,RS2 H&Rs,Cup splitter.
        87 UR 20v ABY
        97 S6 Avant
        96 A6 C4 2.5 TDI quattro avant,Ming,Wietec/eibach,chipped
        1967 Ford Mustang,Eleanor,460ci v8

Comment

What air cap do you use on your gti?What regulated pressure do you use?

Comment

I'll have to look. Back at work on Saturday. Pressure is 65 psi on the line then I adjust it at the gun for small pressure changes for large areas or intricate work.
            Rob..
            87 UR 20v ABY
            97 S6 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by GT500 View Post
              Getting lots of sun in Lagos Portugal.
              Rob, have you been over to the west coast for a surf or boogie board session? We were down there a couple of weeks back, it's awesome.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

Its a T1 cap.

Newsh,
                Yes we shot out that way in the awesome corsa hire car. I'm not a fan of the sea. I like pulling fish out on a line and having a snorkle about but thats about it. NOt a surf dude!
                Rob..
                87 UR 20v ABY
                97 S6 Avant

Comment

I used PPG 2K flat gloss on my motor as it's the OE spec for Lazer red. Base and clear is far better for a resilient deep shine and will stop the paint oxidising over time. Never tried water-based, but 2K is OK if you use a mask and work in a booth with air extraction.
                  91 Modded 3B
                  14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                    Never tried water-based, but 2K is OK if you use a mask and work in a booth with air extraction.

What if like most on here, you don't happen to have a spray booth with air extraction or an air fed mask?
                    1992 80 quattro 20vT

Comment

Originally posted by Jamin View Post
                      What if like most on here, you don't happen to have a spray booth with air extraction or an air fed mask?
                      Don't think it's worth the risk with 2k - side effects are nasty. Get an air fed mask and knock up some ventilation or use other paints maybe with good ventilation and a 3m style particulate mask to help out
                      1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

Air fed masks are not expensive TBH. Look at Darren's DIY booth and the finish he achieved on his UR in his garage

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32731
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Loan a booth.Here is something like 50 eur to 150 eur/paint.The mask from 3m is 20 usd
                          Am i missing something here?Or it is not clear that a paint can not be done without right tools and money?It can be done by yourself if you have some of the tools.The painting boot will have the airline and filters for airline.But the guns i am not sure they will loan.
                          The things needed will be aprox the following:
                          Gun for paint
                          Gun for laquer
                          Gun for primer
                          Air compresssor with lines and water separator
                          Sanding blocks(long,short,curved),airpower and/or electric tools
                          Bondo
                          2k primer
                          Paint
                          Laquer
                          Sandpaper,water resistant masking tape,masking paper etc
                          High/low spots finder material
                          Polishing tool/pads/material(medium and fine)
                          Painting clothes
                          Degreaser

And more

The car needs to be 100% stripped to get a perfect finish(door handles,mirror caps,bumpers,etc etc)Even windshield is a good idea to remove to get the paint under the windshield seal.There is a mashing tape with a plastic film that can be inserted between the seal and the body and keep the seal away from the car to let the paint/laquer get under.But usually seals are hardened from age and this can not be done.

It is not a simple job.And it is expensive.It can be done even in your garage if you have the tools.Wash all with water to avoid part of the dust,cover all the space in plastic foil(to avoid dust coming in your paint).Get good lightning sources and start painting.But it is not expensive to loan a booth so garage is not an option.

The finish of the car is made of:
                          1.stripping and prepp. the body
                          2.painting
                          3.quality of the materials/equipment used

Comment

I have a local paintshop who rent their booth and guns at the weekend. There's probably somebody near to you if you make local inquiries.
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Hi folks, bit of advice needed, I'm prepping car at the moment and wondering how to split the painted metal part from the plastic handle, there appears to be a slim plastic clip but really not sure how to split and don't want to break either part
                              Paul
                              1995 RS2 Nogaro
                              1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                              1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Working...
                              X