Audi S2 RHD Digital Climate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi S2 RHD Digital Climate

Hi all I have embarked on the mission of installing the later B5 digital climate into my 3B coupe.
    I have read through all the threads done by ShadowofBob, Johne, rjscotty and S2Central.net.

And they are going to help out no end!!!

I will document what I have done with my install to help others as there has not been any input for over 2 years on this now, and I am sure I am going to need help

I have managed I believe to source most of the parts required for the install however from another forum member who has had the loom stripped out and labeled so should give me a pretty good head start.

I have a spare centre console so have been adapting this so I can just swap it all over in one go fingers crossed.

First of all I have trimmed out the plastic to allow the new climate frame to slot inside the original console.

I will update with part numbers later.

I then marked with marker pen from inside where I needed to drill the holes to rivet the new frame into position, this was then drilled and riveted

Now the climate head unit can be slotted into position

The finisher trim requires two plastic retaining clips which I have ordered today. Part No. :8D0837073

I will picture them once they land

This will then look like this

The rest of the rats nest then looks like this....

Along this process I will be wiring in my solar sunroof to perform 2 functions. 1 to charge the battery with a trickle charge and the other to run the fans via the climate.

This is the control panel

I am missing 2 of the internal cabin temp sensors and the photo light sensor which I have ordered today and will list the part numbers when they land.

However I hope to use the cabin temp sensor that comes in the solar control panel

That's as far as I have got at the moment, but will update as I go.

What I wanted to know first of all is did anyone actually manage to have a permanent solution for the fresh air flap?
    Attached Files
    Audi Nut!!!

[QUOTE=What I wanted to know first of all is did anyone actually manage to have a permanent solution for the fresh air flap?[/QUOTE]

If by the fresh air flap you mean the recirculation flap by the fan motor, mine works fine using the original vacuum motor drive controlled by the Climate control unit.

I would suggest not using the cabin temperature sensor up in the sunroof controller housing. Audi didn't use it on the climate control system you've got and I believe for good reason.

You want the cabin temperature sensor to be around radio height in the dashboard and amongst the names you've listed, we've all found different solutions to finding a neat place to put that sensor somewhere on the dash.

John

Comment

"First of all I have trimmed out the plastic to allow the new climate frame to slot inside the original console."

or you can just use one center console from a B4 with digital cc
      Looking forward to see how you doing it.
      I did in my cq when I swapped the dash.
      sigpic

Comment

Have you got any tips to add varia?

I don't know what year car this loom has been removed from but I am guessing 1999 looking at the date marks on the heater box assembly

John yes I mean the recirc flap, do you mean the micro switch attached to the digi motor?
        Audi Nut!!!

Comment

Subscribed

Watching this with great interest.
          Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

I am doing this too Brian. I have made my own loom using some parts from a Passat loom and a standard AC loom, in an effort to make it "plug & play" as i didn't wanto use connector blocks or scotch locks etc in my wiring.
            I think I have everything ready to go except the time to take the dash out and get on with it. I am retro fitting AC too, so this adds some more complexity!

The Climate headunit you have will not operate the recirc flap. If you want that function you need the earlier style with the scalloped temperature and fan speed buttons As Johne said best to get the dash temp sensor and intake fan motor from a B5 car too, they are the same

Really interested to see the solar roof, its a first for me
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I thit that conversion like 4 years ago. I'm happy to help !
              Audi S4 2.2T 5 spd 1992 for parts
              AUDI A4 1.9TDI daily use

Audi 80 Quattro 2.0 16V (ACE) aka Competition

Comment

It is different for RHD as Audi didn't offer Climate control as an option, you must use a mix of B4 and B5 parts, plus custom harness etc
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Subscribed. I'm interested in reading about your progress on this one Brian.

Comment

The Loom is from a 99 passat striped and labled by me.
                    You need to add a pin/cable to terminal D9 in for the recirc flap and source the earlier "H" suffix head unit.
                    sigpic
                    "For what you spent on that you could have brought a new car"
                    BUT I DON'T WANT A NEW CAR!

1995 S2 Avant, Volcano Black
                    1982 VW Golf Mk1, primer yellow, will be finished one day, maybe.
                    2003 VW T4 long nose X pack, (has become project)

Comment

Originally posted by rj scotty View Post
                      The Loom is from a 99 passat striped and labled by me.
                      You need to add a pin/cable to terminal D9 in for the recirc flap and source the earlier "H" suffix head unit.
                      Cool, so you know what's been done already to the loom?

I have powered it up on the desk and the recirc motor already works???

Why do I need the earlier H Head unit?
                      Audi Nut!!!

Comment

And just for error404 it's cracked but can live with that

Audi Nut!!!

Comment

The recirc motor on that kit is the electrical type and is attached to the part of the airbox you will be discarding.
                          The air box you have there needs to be split in 2 and the central section fitted in place of the one in your car.
                          Your original recirc actuator (pneumatic type) will be remaining and is controlled via pin d9 which is missing in that loom hence why it needs adding and the earlier controller sourcing as that on has no function on D9, exactley what I had to do

Hope that helps.

Any help you need please let me know. I still have all my notes from when I did this
                          Last edited by rj scotty; 27 April 2013, 18:53.
                          sigpic

Comment

Post #93 on this thread

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=47123&page=7

You used the micro switch was this not a good enough solution?
                            Audi Nut!!!

Comment

There is no reason why it would not work but the H suffix controller came up cheap and I felt it was a neater solution.

I also experimented with using the electrical actuator on the s2 flap with some success, only space was an issue but reckon it could be overcome.

Another solution with that controller would be to use a transistor and relay driven by the display so when the recirc symbol is illuminated the relay closes and emulates the function of pin D9.

s2Central (remember him?) was confident he could rewrite the software in the controller to make D9 work. I even sent him the guts of the same controller you have there to experiment with for he went AWOL
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X