• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corian

Links are posted of this thread to
    DuPont™ Corian®
    http://www2.dupont.com/Corian_Global..._US/index.html

This is 6mm thick
    I had to make the RS2 logo 24mm high to be able to machine it.
    Porsche letters are 16mm high
    I'll take more pictures when I get home.
    D
    S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

better images

Here's what i managed

You can see from the close-up of the logo that even tho it is now bigger the 1mm tool still isn't big enough

I'm not sure about doing this in Aluminium. Anybody got feed speeds and how deep to go with a 1mm TC in alu?
      Dane
      S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

that is very nice.but can this be welded on to the manifold?

also the site does not mention anything about the endurance to heat of the corian...

Comment

if it can be welded,and heat resistant,ill take it!

Comment

Fixing

What were you thinking for the Alu version? Welding?
            This is a mineral/acrylic composite, used for expensive kitchen work surfaces and ...signs. It is very hard, will shatter if smacked with a hammer.
            This will char if exposed to severe heat (I think) and is not weld-able.
            I could route some recessed holes in the front if you wanted to bolt/screw it on.
            Did someone not post on this thread saying they had one "stuck on". That was made me think of using this material.
            There must be a Scotch "Space" Tape for holding tiles onto the outside of the shuttle.
            I've got some gaffa!
            Dane
            Last edited by borderS2; 16 March 2009, 19:59. Reason: didn't answer the question!
            S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

Very interesting thread this, would be interesting to see how this can be fitted/used

Comment

hmmm
                in that case the rough surface of the inlet manifold would have to be very lean and polished,for any type of glue to keep that in.

preferably i would like it to be in somekind of metal shape and quite thin as well,in order to be able to weld it on.

that is why i was thinking of the letters punched out,rather than carved in.That way the thickness of the letters can be as thick as the sheet metal that is used for it.

Comment

Man I've always pondered an IM with " Powered by quattro " or " Powered by Audi Sport "

Good luck guys
                  Cheers mis amigos,
                  _Anton

Comment

Aluminium

I can route aluminium, I just don't like doing it on the vacuum bed. I nomally use a 3mm tool so large lettering isn't so much of a problem. The detail in the RS2 logo is not something I have done in alloy. I broke a 0.7mm tool messing with the corian one, ÂŁ12!
                    Will give the alloy a go, "Porsche" or "S2forum" when I get time to mess. :mischeif:
                    The photos do not do the real thing justice!!

Nobody fancy S2/RS2 coasters?

Was thinking about being able to do air vent inserts for Ooomph Gauges in corian
                    Dane
                    S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

if porsche is the only doable,then that is fine.
                      maybe do something like Porsche RS2 in lettering rather than logo

Comment

I would like S2/RS2 coasters, and an S2forum boost vent thingmebob

Le Mans 2012
                        Nurburgring 700
                        1995 S2 Avant

Comment

Routing

I managed to video the router at work and have posted it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdmZ4-ZptI8

There seems to be an interest in coaster

Designs need to be raised and lowered areas.
                          I can do 3D but it's a slow and expensive option.
                          Designs need to have lines 2mm for best effect and speed of production, especially for short runs or lunch-time jobs.
                          D
                          S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

Guess what?
                            Gaffer Tape do a double-sided, High temperature tape

http://www.gaffertape.com/product-2169.wtl

Short term heat resistant to 180C. What temp does the manifold reach?
                            D
                            S2 91 (red standard)

Comment

i dont believe that long term that double sided tape will hold...

Comment

prefer the original

Here is one that I laid out to machine my manifold. It could also be machined into an aluminum plate to be welded or bonded to the manifold. I also have a 'powered by Audi Sport' version with the audisport parallelogram logo, but I like the original...i can supply the cad files if anyone is interested. the 'powered by' font style is close to the original, but not exact. if anyone has a better font style match, let me know and i'll update the design. also, the corner radii are adjusted for .031 end mill in 'powered by' text and .125 end mill on 'porsche' logo...

cheers
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X