New head unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newsh View Post
    There's a plastic trim across the bottom of the door, if you pull this up and remove a screw under the rear bench you'll be able to tuck them under the carpet.
    Thanks man,

I'll give that a go tomorrow after I've had my new windscreen put in
    Cheers,
    Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
      Got the stereo in, working fine (although like the old one; no ignition live - just permanent). So as long as I keep remembering to power down I'll be alright?

No it will flatten the battery as the Bluetooth finder will be in all the time, you need to take the switched feed by tapping into the thin red wire on the back of the ignition switch as described earlier in the thread.

BTDT with the same radio and had the flat battery to prove it.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

I've made a switch to kill one of the constant 12v wires I've had like 3 or 4 head units, but as the third one started eating the battery...

Comment

Saving battery:
          http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=11

Example of wiring in my 80 B3:

Power wires from battery:

sigpic

Comment

What battery is that ? An Optima? Can you list what you have done to the audio system in your car? PM or here, thanks.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys,

Windscreen in this morning and then I'll crack on with the stereo/sub.

Found a few comment on other forums that mention "any black cable" under the driver's side dash will give me a switched live?
              Cheers,
              Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Better check the cables with a multimeter, then you'll see what is what.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantGam View Post
                  Thanks a lot guys,

Windscreen in this morning and then I'll crack on with the stereo/sub.

Found a few comment on other forums that mention "any black cable" under the driver's side dash will give me a switched live?
                  But then the stereo will go off when you switch off the ignition, the thin red wire will stay on with the ignition off untill the key is removed. So you can run the stereo parked up. Useful?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BLAMM0 View Post
                    What battery is that ? An Optima? Can you list what you have done to the audio system in your car? PM or here, thanks.
                    Yes, Optima Yellow Top.

Now i'm building the audio system in my coupe and it's plan:

May be i start my own the thread about it... may be it be usefull for someone.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I think you should do that. I'm into audio a little bit myself, and it's always nice to see what others do with the same car.

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        But then the stereo will go off when you switch off the ignition, the thin red wire will stay on with the ignition off untill the key is removed. So you can run the stereo parked up. Useful?
                        Yeah, I'll just man up and wire it from the rear of the ign tomorrow. Had a quick peak today and it looks like there are a couple of red wires (can't be certain but the gauges all look roughly the same
                        Cheers,
                        Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

So that's the stereo and sub in now, ran from the thin red at the rear of the ignition (thanks Newsh)!

Not the tidiest of jobs, I used terminal blocks instead of soldering; but personally I have more faith in terminal blocks than soldering joints. Plus no-one will see it behind the headunit or under the dash.

Next job, boost gauge...
                          Cheers,
                          Grant

S2 Coupe ABY '94

Comment

Working...
                          X