Compact Electric Power Steering Pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compact Electric Power Steering Pump?

Anyone running an electric power steering pump? Entertaining the idea of this. I was wondering if there is a compact, discrete on the market?

I don't know how compact the options suggested here are but a good place to start:
    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-steering-pump

Comment

MR2 is popular
      RS 2 580HP

Comment

I'm running an old mr2 pump and stock fluid reservoir on my v8 saloon,not particularly compact though,I might swap to something smaller,I believe there's a few on the forum using opel pumps which are a lot smaller with the fluid reservoir built in....
        It's a love/hate relationship with the S2,i love it,it hates me

Comment

I was going to use corsa electric steering column but that would mean a custom pedal box and joining the steering column to rack which was too much messing about so i scrap the idea for a hydraulic electric mr2 pump instead and kept Everything oem beside vacuum brake servo conversion

Comment

Im using a Volvo v50 pump

Comment

i'm using a opel astra elec steering pump
              audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
              TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
              AEM W/M injection

Comment

sorry if this seems a daft question but why are people changing their power steering pumps to electric?

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                  sorry if this seems a daft question but why are people changing their power steering pumps to electric?
                  Usually done in conjunction with ditching the hydraulic brake servo components & converting to a vacuum brake booster.
                  "Nulla tenaci invia est via"

Comment

OEMs generally do it for packaging reasons.
                    You can also control the pump flow rate electronically so assistance can be ramped up and down as required, normally road speed dependant = more efficient. Rarely see people do this in the aftermarket though.

Mote often seems like a mod for mods sake IMHO hence why it’s more popular in the states
                    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Alex, one good reson is also if you swap engines very often you can make it faster when you has everything more simpple in the engine bay.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Yes Easy to package on an engine swap
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Hopefully this is the best thread to continue this discussion. I am not sure on best way to go for my car which is now destined to be a road-legal, track-day, play-thing so I can bias everything towards more performance, less weight etc.

I was looking to make the engine bay less complex and take some weight (and parasitic loss) off the engine with an electric pump that provides hydraulic pressure for the OE steering rack. This could allow the pump to be placed anywhere on the car within practical limits. Seems there are folks using pumps from Toyota, Volvo & GM sources.

Another neat advantage of some form of electrically powered assistance for steering is being able to just turn on a pump for moving the car around driveways, trailers, workshops without having to fire up the motor and burn precious hydrocarbons ;-)

Then I was alerted to the possibility of going to full electric steering column with Opel Corsa components being a proven source of conversion - where there is no hydraulic assistance. I am not 100% sure I feel comfortable with a full electric conversion. A lot of this is lack of familiarity with new fangled steering systems.

I wanted to flush out some questions and basic principles to help me set my head straight - hopefully its helpful for others too, but I apologise in advance if these are stupid questions asked before...

1. Does the full electric column conversion work with OE pedal box in B3/B4 or does it need a motorsport style pedal box to create sufficient space ?

2. Does the electric column always fail safe where it just stops providing assistance in the event of failure, or can some awful scenario occur where you are physically turning the wheel one direction and the motor tries to provide assistance in the opposite direction ?

3. Doesn't the steering rack need some form of lubrication to stay cool and operate smoothly - especially a rack thats designed to be hydraulically operated ?

4. What modifications to OE rack are required to operate with a motorised column for assistance - isn't some small pump required for lubrication & cooling as well ?

5. Anybody have pics of the Corsa style electro column conversion in a RHD B3/B4 application - does it connect to the splined joint on the rack itself or the upper part of the 2-piece column - how about the column mounting to the bulkhead itself - is that a custom bracket job or does it pick up the OE mounting points ?

6. How does the full electric assistance feel around the straight ahead position and does all of the normal, familiar self-centering mechanism work as normal - or does increased caster angle become a requirement to help on full electric conversion ?

Pic 4796 is pretty good shot of the RHD B3/B4 application - I still have the lower section of OE column connected to the rack - the splined section of this connects to the upper column and is braced to the OE pedal box with a flimsy looking plastic bracket & bearing assembly. My sense is that going with an aftermarket pedal box would require any electric column to attach directly to the rack as it could be major phaffage to re-use the lower section of OE column and replicate some form of bracing at that intermediate joint with attachment to the Corsa column.

Pic 4795 shows the two possible locations where the electrical column could attach to the rack - there is a splined joint below that awful rubberised steering disc.
                          Attached Files
                          Paul Nugent
                          Webmaster http://S2central.net
                          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

If you are going electric column you need to weld the two halves of the rack pinion together, to defeat the torsion bar. Also the rack needs packing with grease. Cooling will not be a problem, since the hydraulic pump generates the heat.

Electric pumps are not very compact in my experience, and noisy. The benefit is being able to locate it remotely and use it to balance corner weights etc. You can also control them via an aftermarket ECU to give variable assistance. To inspire you I will go and take a picture of a very tidy install on a 997 GT2 race car
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Forgot to say IIRC Terrybullwon and V6quattro have fitted electric columns, here is V6quattro’s thread showing what is required. Quite involved:

https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...teering-column
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                              X