No announcement yet.

Power Steering Pipe Troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve only heard of racks exploding when the high pressure and return lines have got mixed up

Comment

Those are hard lines (banjo fittings) at the rack end. They literally cannot be confused because I don't believe the lines can be twisted in the orientation to get them wrong.

But what your saying does make sense... I just can't understand how the mechanic would get that wrong. The pipes "line up" pretty much right where they should go.

Comment

On a second hand part , you only really know when it’s on the car if it will fail or not Bec when one part is repaired , it puts pressure on other parts which then fail.

Comment

That's unfortunate. What exactly blew (see illus.), the whole pretension mech? I doubt the fluid type has relevance, I've not used the G00 2000 of either type for over a decade.

B3 Coupe rack illus. Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 09.30.41.png

Comment

There is an option to replace B3-style rack to B4-one. It is a little bit more comfortable to live with in terms of supply fiting location (if anything near steering rack maintanance can be considered comfortable on these cars).
            But new supply pipe will be necessary what will cause extra custom efforts if hydraulic brakes remained.

Comment

Well a bad situation got much worse.

The shop confirmed with the rack rebuilder that it was not tested after rebuild, and that at some point in the rebuild, an error was made. What exactly this error was has not been shared with me. As i am paying for this work, who failed and how is really irrelevant at this point. The core is damaged such that it cannot be salvaged so now I am looking for another core.

Here is the "cherry" going into this weekend. The shop has invoiced me close to $1500 for the R&I. Of course, the car isn't ready to go. It's sitting in the shop without a rack. I now get to *pay for the rack job that isn't complete*.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to handle this whole situation with the rebuilder. They obviously don't want to cover the labor.

This is really really bad and I get the feeling I'm going to get squeezed. I need to find another core. Decide if the same rebuilder does it again *the right way*. Or find another rebuilder and basically start over.

The labor bill is complicated. I feel like the rebuilder should have skin in this. If they don't, I really don't have any other recourse other than to drag this individuals business through the mud via atrocious review on their webpage, in forums, and among the US Audi/VW community. Once a new rack is procured, I'm looking at probably another $800 to put it in again, plus alignment.

This absolutely sucks. Is this really the risk of owning these cars? Is this just how things "go down".

Time for a drink

Nic

Comment

Oh boy, that is a tough spot to be in the middle of. Perhaps you might find a used B3 rack that doesn't need rebuilding right away, just to get your car mobile, which may buy you some time and take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by nribs View Post
                  Well a bad situation got much worse.

The shop confirmed with the rack rebuilder that it was not tested after rebuild, and that at some point in the rebuild, an error was made. What exactly this error was has not been shared with me. As i am paying for this work, who failed and how is really irrelevant at this point. The core is damaged such that it cannot be salvaged so now I am looking for another core.

Here is the "cherry" going into this weekend. The shop has invoiced me close to $1500 for the R&I. Of course, the car isn't ready to go. It's sitting in the shop without a rack. I now get to *pay for the rack job that isn't complete*.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to handle this whole situation with the rebuilder. They obviously don't want to cover the labor.

This is really really bad and I get the feeling I'm going to get squeezed. I need to find another core. Decide if the same rebuilder does it again *the right way*. Or find another rebuilder and basically start over.

The labor bill is complicated. I feel like the rebuilder should have skin in this. If they don't, I really don't have any other recourse other than to drag this individuals business through the mud via atrocious review on their webpage, in forums, and among the US Audi/VW community. Once a new rack is procured, I'm looking at probably another $800 to put it in again, plus alignment.

This absolutely sucks. Is this really the risk of owning these cars? Is this just how things "go down".

Time for a drink

Nic
                  Hi Nick
                  Sorry to hear this.

If they’ve made a mistake in the rebuild which has caused the failure then surely they are liable to cover at least part of the expense of doing the job twice.

Do you have something equivalent to our “small claims court”?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

The rebuilder is saying that because it is a 30 year old part that there isn't any guarantee. I get that from a perspective they can't be held liable for what comes down the road, but instant failure? We're talking zero wear on the part after the rebuild.

EDITED: This S2Forum post is informative and aligns with the information I have at this time. It is definitely leaking from the end cap...
                    7522350796f7819f4e0c4b4fd8e2b457c202c842.jpeg

And if it wasn't a rebuildable core, they should have told me this when they took it apart. I explicitly asked about this and they said that it was indeed a good core.

They are basically saying that there isn't a guarantee of anything because it's an old part. The mechanic is saying that they only warranty labor when it's their rebuild outfit used. I'm ready to ask the shop to now find their own rebuilder to shed some of this risk.... I wonder what he is going to say to that??

Suing is tough as the rebuilder is in Las Vegas state and I'm 3k miles away in Chicago.
                    Last edited by nribs; 30 January 2022, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by _ShurikeN View Post
                      There is an option to replace B3-style rack to B4-one. It is a little bit more comfortable to live with in terms of supply fiting location (if anything near steering rack maintanance can be considered comfortable on these cars).
                      But new supply pipe will be necessary what will cause extra custom efforts if hydraulic brakes remained.
                      _ShurikeN Could you tell me more details? I am right in the middle of removing the old preface 7A steering rack and I am considering this option of changing to an S2 steering
                      Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

S2 steering rack is a must without doubts if you have it (better turn-to-turn ratio).

Details is just following: if you replace a B3/preface rack to later B4 one, you need its own pipes.
                        Last edited by _ShurikeN; 13 January 2023, 07:30.

Comment

Only the later rack's are quicker, 3B S2's all have the slow rack, it's the same as a 7A rack.

ABY's all have the quicker rack as do V6's after 1994 and the RS2 obviously use's the later spec rack as well.

And yes they are a great improvement over the early rack, I fitted one from a a 1996 V6 to my 3B, not a super job but can be done in an afternoon.

Edit...All V6 Cabriolets from about 1994 on also use the quicker rack, there's more of them about so they're easier to find.

I have a mint one from a 1998 V6 Cab as the spare for my RS2 as well as the one from my S2 which I had rebuilt, neither are for sale.
                          Last edited by K Simmonds; 13 January 2023, 07:38. Reason: More info
                          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

And it fits without modifications? Honestly I never solve these things, so I am not sure if this is only plug-n-play and only hoses/pipes are custom? Do you know the exact part number of that steering rack? What about the steering column tube?
                            Audi Coupe Quattro 2.3 20V

Comment

Working...
                            X