new springs/shocks S2 coupé - options/availability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newsh View Post

Unfortunately you have to push the damper rod all the way in to engage the rebound valve then rotate. So as Kit says, you have to remove the spring which is a real shame. Having said that, after setting mine up as per the thread on this subject I’ve not needed to adjust them.
    that is odd indeed

this it the thread you refer to?
    https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...-thread-shocks

Comment

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
      I don't if you'd be interested but I have some custom coil-overs made using ABY legs, these come with a multitude of different weight motorsport springs that have never been used, I got them from guy who built them for a SWB project to go my now dead Coupe. However, they don't currently have dampers in them and are not TUV/type approved so could be impossible to get through an MOT on the continent so may be no use to you at all.
      I'll keep it in mind. MOT is no problem over here (in Belgium it's the opposite, probably a non listed hubcap is MOT fail there)

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
        some bad experience with KW here:
        https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...w-v1?p=2117426

anyone else some recent experiences?

and how about H&R?
        I wouldn't recommend KW either, the stainless body is OK but the springs are prone to rusting and breaking and the dampers are just s**t! They're cheap, poor quality units made by a company that makes trailer and caravan dampers, they cant be re-built and are expensive to replace, so avoid
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by Henkjan View Post
          I'll keep it in mind. MOT is no problem over here (in Belgium it's the opposite, probably a non listed hubcap is MOT fail there)
          LOL, I heard it can be difficult in some county's over there with stupid rules, your in the Netherlands where they still have some sense.

I do have some very old Sashs sporting dampers I would chuck in free, so you could experiment with ride height before investing in new ones of your choice, they very nicely done with high quality components which I believe came from Reyland Motor Sport. Drop me a PM if they are of interest and I'll send you pic's and details of all the various springs.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Big chance it will be standard springs and yellow Konis, having a decent ride has gained some importance with age also the ride height increase will increase the number of streets where I can actually drive the car (speedbumps are pandemic here)

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
            I do have some very old Sashs sporting dampers I would chuck in free, so you could experiment with ride height before investing in new ones of your choice, they very nicely done with high quality components which I believe came from Reyland Motor Sport. Drop me a PM if they are of interest and I'll send you pic's and details of all the various springs.
            thanks, but no thanks. gave it some thought, but I do not see myself changing springs as experiments...

Comment

well, what a surprise.. springs NLA from Audi.

can anyone recommend other manufacturers that can source OEM quality springs?

Comment

Not even available from Tradition? Only other option would be a used set of springs.

Comment

I'll have to check AT
                  a used set would risk having the same issue quite soon again....

Comment

What is the issue with the springs have they snapped, or are they just covered in surface rust? If it's just surface rust get them blasted and powder coated. What what I understand about the S2 springs is they are almost bullet proof.

Comment

I cleaned my 20V springs up a year or so ago, zinc primed and two-pack gloss black, look great still now

I looked at replacements, but while not costly, it was more than a bit of wire cup brush action and paint.

Comment

As above, unless your current ones are snapped or heavily pitted then sand blasting and re-coating them should be fine for at least another 10 years or so. S2 springs do seem to last well, don't think I've even seen or heard of one snapping unlike the ones on modern VAG products which are obviously made out of cheaper grade of steel are almost a service item on some models.

I cleaned up and painted a fairly manky set of stock springs for my RS2 and it was only really light surface rust.

My coil-overs have sold for use on SWB again so they're long gone.

Comment

I guess the current springs are not the original ones but whatever Abt mounted. My mechanic where I brought the car for the MOT said the springs are in such a shape that he feared it would be MOT fail and they have a risk of snapping. Looking at photo's over the years the car now also sits even lower than before.

I checked Audi Tradition, but none of the S2 springs are available, I put the relevant links in this doc:
                          https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

On the positive side: my mate has contact with a spring manufacturer and he says you can have them made based on the colour codes, so I sent him the info from the 7zap etka pages

Comment

According to ETKA the the front KV, NG, NM, A7, 3B, ABY, AAH, ABC with Air con springs are available from Tradition, unfortunately all the rear springs are obsolete. Your best option is keep searching ebay or S2 / classic Audi FB groups.
                            Last edited by B5NUT; 7 February 2023, 18:22.

Comment

Not read all the thread but, if you are looking for something that cannot be bought elsewhere: Contact springcoil limited in Sheffield. They will copy any spring you send and make them exactly the same gauge, number of coils and tail design. Im sure they could also advise and make any variations you ask for.

I was lucky to have a relaxed spring length in the factory manual and beleive it or not, even the number of coils was specified for my old classic saab. The length is important when it comes to making a copy, I guess as an old spring could theoretically become tired and not return fully to what it should be.

I got a pair made for the rear of the saab and it was around £60 a spring and they came back perfectly powder coated and fitted a treat.
                              Last edited by steve briance; 8 February 2023, 00:22.

Comment

That sounds like a very good option Steve and affordable as well by the sounds of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X