This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koni adjustable shock absorber settings thread / shocks

Will soon be fitting Konis & Coupe H&Rs - what are people running in terms of rebound settings on theirs?

Is their a tried & tested set-up that works nicely on a road / occasional track toy?

After some degree of comfort which is why i chose Konis over Billies, but ultimately I want the most precise handling I can get.

I'm running a pretty stiff rear ARB and poly bushes throughout, these new springs & struts are really the final piece of the suspension rebuild before I start messing about with castor mounts etc.

Anyone got any suggestions / experience? What are you running?
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

solid alloy bushes and poly with promounts will do the precise bit. the koni i find work very well either way. think im set full soft.

its very sharp and very road compliant. aloso misses speed bumps easily. im on koni springs though not hr.

Comment

1 turn front, 0.5 rear from fully hard
      Cheers'en, AndyC
      1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Cheers boys

is that 1.0 and 0.5 from fully hard on both front & rear Andy?

how precise do you have to be with the settings? Do you need to use an angle setting gauge?
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yes, both from fully hard, wind it in clockwise to the stop then back, fully hard is hard! For a more comfortable ride try adding 0.5-1.0 turns to those figures.
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            Cheers boys
            how precise do you have to be with the settings? Do you need to use an angle setting gauge?
            Not really necessary, from benchmark experiences i know that these dampers can have a relatively high diversity in damping characteristics. (not that you'll notice)
            Aim for .25 turn accuracy IMO.

Comment

I'm interested in getting a set of koni's to replace my billies and go with my H&R springs, as the billies are just to stiff around these country roads in the lakes.

I've heard the koni's are prone to "going" every 4-5 year though, whereas the billies are pretty much indestructible. How does this compare to peoples experiences?
              S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

well sonic id expect your roads to not be disssimilar to mine. the koni works great.

3 years and counting.

billies are renowned for being solid tubes rather than shocks. yes very compliant on southern smooth surfaces or tracks. too bouncy on the road.

Comment

Konis on fully hard are rather solid
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

I got 2 years on Bilsteins on the front of my Avant before the seals started to weep. Replaced with Koni to preserve my fillings.Too many big hits on poor road surfaces.
                    I've got the same front Billie set refurbed on the CQ now. I had them revalved to a softer setting, so need to see how that feels...
                    1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                    1987 CQ85RS
                    1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                    1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                    Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                    Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Originally posted by raymor View Post
                      I got 2 years on Bilsteins on the front of my Avant before the seals started to weep. Replaced with Koni to preserve my fillings.Too many big hits on poor road surfaces.
                      I've got the same front Billie set refurbed on the CQ now. I had them revalved to a softer setting, so need to see how that feels...
                      I'd be interested to know what you make the the billies now, as that is another option, get them refurbed with software settings rather than get koni's.

Is Aelred still the best place to get Koni's?

Comment

i use venom motorsport in blackburn. always been the best to my knowledge.

Comment

Koni have rocketed in price recently, now similar price to Billies
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                            Koni have rocketed in price recently, now similar price to Billies
                            ******!

Comment

Just had my koni's installed today.

The front's required a bit of bodging because there was ~3mm gap between the top of the damper and the screw-on strut cap that keeps the damper in place, even when using the provided spacer.

I adjusted both fully to the right which seemed to give the stiffest rebound, then dialled the front's back 1.5 turns (60%) and the rears back 1 turn (40%) to give the rear a slower rebound than the front.

Had a quick drive home (~20 miles) and immediate observations are that the clattering and crashing from the bilsteins has gone (i suspected the rear left was damaged), the roads feel flat again which is fantastic, although there was the odd jar at the front, the car dives like mad compared to the bilsteins under breaking (8-pot brembo's up front ) and it takes a fraction of a second longer to load-up as it corners which is a little unnerving, i guess because it is soggy compared to the bilsteins.

The car also feels like it wants to over-steer compared to before, i guess i got my estimations on the rebound settings out. I could loosen up the rear anti-roll bar also as this is on max stiffness. Still, it might actually feel more pointy at speed. Will have to see!

Should be fun a the 'ring next weekend, then

Comment

Working...
                              X