This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few things to add/edit :-
    • 034 do the Delrin wishbone bushes, I don't think they do 'density' as per the spreadsheet.
    • 034 do offset subframe bushes in alloy
    • 034 do density line arb bushes
    • VAG do complete tie rods left and right for lefthand and righthand drive cars. ~ £80 & £90 + vat full price
    • Whiteline do adjustable rear drop links, these would be a good thing to get if going to a FARB on the rear of a coupe
    • Again, rear whisbone bushes are delring, not density or poly, I think you've mixed up wishbones and arb bushes
    • There is the s2avant mk.1 Golf solid front snub mount option that should be added, I did a thread on it.
    • Solid front alloy snub mounts did get made (by me), I'll see if I can get the drawings.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Wowzer - as I feared - even more expensive than the '100 each' ballpark figure I used for costing - ouch... No doubting the quality though.

I guess the next step down is 034 track density - I have seen some good reports on those. They wont' last forever like a promount, but must be a huge improvement over the factory mounts made from industrial playdoh.
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        A few things to add/edit :-
        • 034 do the Delrin wishbone bushes, I don't think they do 'density' as per the spreadsheet.
        • 034 do offset subframe bushes in alloy
        • 034 do density line arb bushes
        • VAG do complete tie rods left and right for lefthand and righthand drive cars. ~ £80 & £90 + vat full price
        • Whiteline do adjustable rear drop links, these would be a good thing to get if going to a FARB on the rear of a coupe
        • Again, rear whisbone bushes are delring, not density or poly, I think you've mixed up wishbones and arb bushes
        • There is the s2avant mk.1 Golf solid front snub mount option that should be added, I did a thread on it.
        • Solid front alloy snub mounts did get made (by me), I'll see if I can get the drawings.
        Cheers for that - will do an update... i was a bit loose with my poly/derlrin/density terminology. Isn't 'delrin' just some trademarked version of polypropylene ?

I've used the term 'density' to indicate where buyers have a choice in stiffness - regardless of what the uprated material is.
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

034 ones aren't bullet proof but they are better than stock.

$500 is about £300 + delivery, get a group buy on them
          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

delrin is just the trade name of an acetal polymer

Can't believe the cost of the pro-mounts.. thats pure wallet rape.
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Small scale manufacture costs a lot I guess, they're no more costly than alloy ones and have a spherical bearing in as well. Just the OR mount must be about $30 of the $125 and that includes US shipping @ $8... They do seem a solid piece of kit and the lifetime warranty is there too, for what it's worth.
              Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

what i really want to know is do they improve the steering significantly enough to be worth the money ?
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

It's more the fact that they don't degrade as quickly... I'll give verdict when the jobs are all finished and the car is sorted. HPMuirt liked them tho and he can handle a car so that's a starter for 10.
                  Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                    what i really want to know is do they improve the steering significantly enough to be worth the money ?

IMO they are not worth the money, you still have the same bad Caster, an 034 topmount is almost as good as the promounts for us daily-drivers..

also much less servicing in an 034 item or similar..

One thing i've learned we are way behind the Scandinavians!

Comment

Small scale manufacture costs a lot I guess, they're no more costly than alloy ones and have a spherical bearing in as well. Just the OR mount must be about $30 of the $125 and that includes US shipping @ $8... They do seem a solid piece of kit and the lifetime warranty is there too, for what it's worth.
                      Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

A mounting amount of mounts...

Mance also makes a very broad & supple snub mount of polyurethane that I use, both on my 20V & 12V.

Audi's own 'allroad' xmsn mounts work well, both there on the front (easy); and on the rear diff (more difficult).

I include the following not as criticism of your spreadsheet, just informational; and to declare my obvious bias:

It may be slightly misleading to describe the 'Pro-Mounts' strut-top mounts simply as 'alloy', as they are an OEM rubber mount that has been heat-cycled, re-bearinged with a teflon lined steel spherical, whose bore has been sleeved down with alloy, and whose remaining OEM bonded rubber/steel ringed construction is protected from vertical over-travel by polyurethane (Mount-Saver 1's) inserts, or poly & metal inserts (Mount-Saver 2's)

I'd hesitate to say fit & forget, only as I'm reminded how good they are, every time I drive the car.

I would challenge anyone who's driven on Pro-Mounts to prefer anything else afterwards, but that's just my opinion. "Do they improve the steering significantly enough to ..." Not by themselves alone, but when everything else is also good, yes. Just do it, at least on the front, and you can go simply Mount-Savers in OEM top-mount's on the rear for the budget conscious like myself. Best mod I've done, simple, not cheap but economical, and great steering feel. How much is that worth?

Great idea for an article by the way, thanks.
                        Last edited by Lago Blue; 11 December 2018, 15:51.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying and demystifying that one - I also had no idea what these 'mount savers' were all about.

I tried the allroad snub mount in the Golf bracket and couldn't get a nice fit. I ended up with a snub from B6 or B7 diesel of some flavour as obviously stiffer material than OE, but also a good fit in the Golf bracket.
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

I'm getting the solid model of my solid alloy snub mount design
                            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

you may find that $500 is more or less £500 now andy. getting a GB on these will be tough at the cost.

gotta agree with lago. i think they are worth buying for sure. theyre are a lot over the more normal mounts. but 2 years on and still good. lots of the more normal ones would have collapsed by now.

interested in the stubs though. im on a standard rubber door stop. what should be there?

Comment

Current exchange is around 1.55-1.60 so $500 = £310-325 ish (round numbers).

It's what holds the snub mount, not the rubber

The Golf solution is really cheap and effective but I went one better.

This is what my solution looked like, the stylised shape and radii were a luxury of CNC machining, on a manually made part I'd remove all that (the prototype on my car is much simpler ) Some machinig is required for clearance on the aux. rad tho.:-
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Rusty; 6 October 2009, 10:11.
                                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Working...
                                X