No announcement yet.

Sport Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I might be getting another rack done at some point in the next few months, cost will be around £550 all in. If anyone is interested in one let me know.
    Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
    Indigo ABY coupé
    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
      I might be getting another rack done at some point in the next few months, cost will be around £550 all in. If anyone is interested in one let me know.
      I am potentially interested Alex, what's the removal and installation procedure on an in place ABY engine?
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Do-able - have something / someone around to kick when you get the rage on, oh and get a big box of plasters.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Do-able - have something / someone around to kick when you get the rage on, oh and get a big box of plasters.
          Sounds good

I'm in Alex, don't need it right now but sounds like a nice mod to do in future

One thing, do you have spare racks or require my one?
          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Originally posted by rynaqui View Post
            I am potentially interested Alex, what's the removal and installation procedure on an in place ABY engine?
            I'll be able to tell you in a week or so how I get on with changing the one on my 3B with the engine in place, my engine bay is somewhat simplified so has more in common with an ABY, no battery/procon ten etc.

I've stood considering starting the job a couple of time's but haven't felt brave or clam enough, maybe I should acquire some Valium or Xanax (perhaps both) before hand as well as a punch bag.
            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Too pull a rack again, I'd either be crazy or desperate. However, if it happens again, I'd pull off the head for access. Last time I pulled the motor, but with the head out and maybe the subframe dropped down an inch there should be plenty of room.

Would not ever even consider doing it without at least pulling the head, the way the tie rod bracket and hydraulic hoses are stuffed back in there is as tight of a fit as I could imagine. Even just getting the rack in place is a gargantuan task.

My build thread on my Cq has loads of pics of that nasty job, if anyone's stuck/interested.
              Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
              2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
              2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
              1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
              1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• I'll check your thread out, if it come's to it I reckon it can be done by removing the inlet manifold/dissy and completely removing the sub-frame. I do have the luxury of a pit and very nice tools so will try and do it removing as little stuff as possible for a challenge, perhaps aided by Benzodiazepine's.
                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• How much easier would the steering rack removal be with the transmission removed. I'm about to drop my transmission to replace the front seal and the clutch and from the looks of it I can get easier access to the rack. My rack is leaking bad and needs to be rebuilt.

Would I need to send my rack away to get in on this buy?

Dave

Comment

• That's the best time, motor and trans out leaves all sorts of room.

Comment

• Originally posted by PRY4SNO View Post
                      That's the best time, motor and trans out leaves all sorts of room.
                      Hey Neighbor!

The engine will be staying put, just pulling the transmission but I think I'll still get decent access.

If you need a break from the CQ you could always head down HWY 2 and give me a hand

Comment

• Tempting. .. though it depends when you're going to do the work.

Comment

• Also, Dave... I have a spare rack that needs rebuilt if you want to send it out as a core. Nice to have one on hand before you begin the job

The RS2 rack has a tighter ratio, not sure if that would affect the exchange.

Comment

I might be getting another rack done at some point in the next few months, cost will be around £550 all in. If anyone is interested in one let me know.

If they say it's doable on my URS4 rack I'm in..
                            I have a spare rack I could send away and no rush to get it back...

I will be replacing shocks, subframe and all the joints around christmas.. it would be easier to fit it in that occasion (if you think it could be done by that time)

keep us informed!

P.

Comment

• Originally posted by petro238 View Post

If they say it's doable on my URS4 rack I'm in..
                              I have a spare rack I could send away and no rush to get it back...

I will be replacing shocks, subframe and all the joints around christmas.. it would be easier to fit it in that occasion (if you think it could be done by that time)

keep us informed!

P.
                              This...
                              _Rubí_

Comment

• Got the transmission out right now and there's quite a lot of room, would make things a lot easier that is for sure
                                1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Working...
                                X