Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, stiffer rear springs have been the list forever.
    Cheers'en, AndyC
    1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
      WOW! Is this the same car? :
      Hi Andy, could you post all alignment spec you ended up using on your car please.

I am getting my fourth alignment for the past 12 months done tomorrow.
      cheers
      Rob
      sigpic_________
      Rob

Comment

Front and rear on minimum stock tolerance toe in, front camber -2, rear camber -2.5, castor 4.2 deg.

you won't achieve the rear camber or castor but the rest is possible.

rear -1.5 camber and 2.5 castor should be possible.

I will be going for over -3 camber up front with approx 4 castor come the spring.
        Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

What springs are people using?

I am going to up mine and come off the roll bar a few turns.
          Chef

Comment

Good old HnRs still

The rear camber is too much higher than the front, causing the rear to be more stable (read under steer) but I have a few tricks to try and get the fronts up a degree or so. I have a feeling that with my more modest setup to yours, I'd have -3 to 3.5 / -2 to 2.5 and around 4 deg castor, which is a 50% increase over maximised stock castor and 75% more camber.

For a road car, iId be looking at 350lb front, 400lb rear; for a track car, I'd be starting off at around 600lb front and matching the rears through testing, for a race car... 1000lb front?

The roll bars should be used to tune your setup, as you don't have to worry about softer springs to get some sort of ride compliance. It'll also improve the car's ability to ride kerbs. In general, roll bars remove grip rather than add it, as you're trying to lift the inside wheel off the ground, so I'd be aiming to minimise their involvement.
            Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

1000lbs is alittle high.

Has any one got any real life testing before I go and spunk aload of money on springs?
              Chef

Comment

Clio 182 Cup race cars run 800lb front springs, so for smooth circuit racing, they're arguably a little low on a clunky S2...

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=4776
                Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Originally posted by terrybullwon View Post
                  1000lbs is alittle high.

Has any one got any real life testing before I go and spunk aload of money on springs?
                  How do you plan to compare a stock s2 (or tuned) with yours completely race weapon?
                  I suppose that CG position, roll couple and aero will be unique.

IMHO:
                  You should start from dynamic and static calculations to get some ballpark figures of springs stiffness and then tune dampers and ARBs to balance a hole picture in steady and transient states.

Comment

had mine set up yesterday

front castor 7
                    front camber 2.45
                    rear camber 2
                    rear toe neutral
                    havent tried it yet though maybe this wk end, I did notice front track was 20mm narrower than the rear does anyone know if this is correct? (ur quattro) or some time the wrong hubs fitted

Comment

Originally posted by butchone View Post
                      had mine set up yesterday

front castor 7
                      front camber 2.45
                      rear camber 2
                      rear toe neutral
                      I did notice front track was 20mm narrower than the rear does anyone know if this is correct? (ur quattro) or some time the wrong hubs fitted
                      This is about right for UR, S2 is wider at the front.
                      sigpic_________
                      Rob

Comment

cheers I was doing a lot of head scratching as to why
                        thinking about it though, if the s2 is wider but my ur still narrow where is increase/decrease taken from? I have an S2 6 speed box an subframe fitted with std ur struts, so maybe its the s2 wishbones or strut ball joint set point which may explain drive shaft lengths when doing 6 speed conversions.
                        Last edited by butchone; 8 April 2015, 22:53.

Comment

7deg castor is a lot, what top mount setup have you got? What springs are you running?
                          Last edited by Rusty; 9 April 2015, 11:55.
                          Cheers'en, AndyC

Comment

Ahhhhh?

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              7deg castor is a lot, what top mount setup have you got? What springs are you running?
                              I modified my strut towers to take 2bennet S6 adjustable top mounts which gave it 7deg maxed out. Springs are >rear 375lbs >front 450lbs on home made coil overs with lowered steering arms. Wishbones are sport quattro with adjustable camber on bottom ball joints, and combined with the top give a pretty broad range of settings. I dont know how to put pics up but if you look on my profile an albums there is some pics to see what Ive done
                              Last edited by butchone; 9 April 2015, 21:57.

Comment

What are the spring rates on the kw3 suspension for a s2? Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X