No announcement yet.

RS2 Tranmissions - CGR vs CRB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately mine is too corroded to get photo. Either that or the serial number is out of reach.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
      Unfortunately mine is too corroded to get photo. Either that or the serial number is out of reach.
      Transmission code and serial number should be stamped onto the transmission edge at the left side out put flange. See below. Trying gently cleaning that area with solvent and then rubbing a felt marker across the area and then wiping the surface quickly with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel. Might reveal the stampings.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by ColonialNomad View Post
        I'd be surprised if it's corroded to the point that it's not legible, though it's possible if your car's seen a lot of winters on the road and is free of oil leaks that help to protect the alloy casting. I had to clean a fair amount of crap off (mostly oil) before I could read mine properly.

The pic above should help you locate it, a brass wire brush used with care will help revel it along with Dave's advise re a felt marker and alcohol, white spirit or similar would also do the job.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Think I'll have to lift the car to see what I'm doing. It's pretty corroded under there though. Subframes could do with a clean and repaint but I'm just not set up to do that in London.

Comment

Long time since last post. Did you figure out when the "braking point" was when Audi did put the CRB in the cars instead of the CGR box? According to my tag in the trunk i should have CGR, 1994 car nr 924. Will check my gearbox tomorrow to see what i have mounted.
            Last edited by s0_big; 4 January 2019, 17:16.

Comment

Checked the transmission today. According to tag in the trunk it should be CRG gearbox. But i have CRB (61198)

20190104_085804.jpg

20190104_090359.jpg
              Last edited by s0_big; 4 January 2019, 09:23.

Comment

Well, that *IS* good news. Whether your car left the factory with a CRB or not, it doesn't matter. It's got one now and that is all you need to know.

Comment

i imagine that the gearbox was broken and somebody swaped it

Comment

Originally posted by rxl View Post
                    i imagine that the gearbox was broken and somebody swaped it
                    My "theory" (unsubstantiated) is they were replaced early on under warranty when the CRBs failed (first gear galled during massive clutch drop launches). Just a theory.

Comment

Working...
                    X