No announcement yet.

1996 S6 Auto, not finding 3 and 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its difficult when you don't know whether the box was ok before something you done. Obviously dark fluid is not encouraging!
    Have you checked in VCDS that the selector position corresponds to that indicated and the dash display. Think its the next measuring block up from the trans temp. The F125 multifunction switch is another failure possibility!

Comment

Yep, tricky. Car is new to me and fluid was like a burnt black. Vcds and shift details all seem to add up.

Ruling out fluid, solenoids, valves it leaves gbox speed sensor, multifunction switch and clutches.

The implausible signal only happens when it thinks its got 3rd.

Third is not active, its still in second it doesnt slip n the revs dont change and since it behaves absolutely fine in r d n 1 2 it might be ok sensor wise. But then again you know these things can be just nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Again without being 100% sure that the replacement box is ok its not a nice situation to be in!

Comment

Yeah, tricky really. Worse if i have to swap n use existing sensors and then drive it to find its the same or has its own faults! Hehe!
          Ill check some more stuff...

Comment

Jeeeeez that thing is heavy!!

Got a replacement box and am installing it today tomoz. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Keep us informed how things are going. In case you want to go for swap let me know. I have done it last week. Is not an easy job but worth all the time and money invested. All i can say after swap to manual, totally different car. I am thinking to open a new thread with this swap.

Sent via Crapatalk
              UrS4 "PK Motorsport"

Comment

problem found.
                the input shaft to the Eclutch 3rd and 4th drive was .. snapped.
                180k miles has taken its toll.
                Replacement box going in next week along with replacement torque convertor.
                Hopefully it will be groovy..

Anyone know where I can find a decent used SS exhaust?

cheers

Comment

Was shocked to see that Audi used such a marginal box such as the 4HP18 rather than something beefer such as the 4HP22/24 on the 5 pot. Think I read somewhere that the S6 Plus the V8 model did have a stronger box but finding one and getting it to fit are two issues that spring to mind.
                  Shame as all the Audi autoboxes seem to have issues when really they should be relatively bulletproof.

Comment

Yeah. Wonder if theres a more modern auto with taller gears thAt would fit as i do plenty of motorway cruising it woukd be handy. That or tall tyres all round

Comment

Glad you found the problem, even though it means you have to change the box.

Comment

It took some effort to rule out everything bar the box as far as possible and it was still a gamble but I had no option but to bite the bullet and pull the box.
                        Thank god there was something obvious wrong with it. I had confidence them that replacing it was the right thing. It would have been nuts if it had no obvious signs and it was a sensor or something.

Good news from the 9m workshop today. I now have 4 forward gears!! yay.

I couldnt get in to Ninemeister to work today as .. with this snow, my DS3 couldnt make it in the snow.
                        If only I had a reliable quattro powered car when it snowed!.

I'll pick it up tomorrow and give it a shakedown over the weekend.
                        fingers crossed she is good for a bit.

Comment

Cool, and snow to try it out in. Hopefully things stay on the up with the car for a while at least.

Enjoy, with caution.

Comment

Working...
                          X