No announcement yet.

Clutch kit recommendation 500+ hp setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run a SRE 707 pressure plate with a SRE 8-puck sintered clutch with springs, quite harsh on a light car but nothing impossible to drive. Turbo was a 3071 sized one which ran about 440-450 ish hp, torque unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by snp10 View Post
      This was a stage 3+ from Spec?
      Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
      No a Soutbend.
      ^^ Southbend.
      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Any other options except Sachs/Spec/Southbend ?

Comment

Southbend is **** in my experience

From what I tried, I'd buy again and again a SPEC stage 3+ clutch kit

Holds fine a GT30R and very very very comfortable
          RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
          BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
          LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

Originally posted by snp10 View Post
            Any other options except Sachs/Spec/Southbend ?
            Clutchnet
            91 Modded 3B
            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

I was told Keith Edwards and Keith Murray of Dialynx use a Helix clutch.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Stock RS2 clutch works fine in me ride.
                1995 RS2 on Alcohol (6.8sec 100-200km/h)
                1994 80E Avant
                1986 2L Golf 2 on Alcohol

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                  Southbend is **** in my experience

From what I tried, I'd buy again and again a SPEC stage 3+ clutch kit

Holds fine a GT30R and very very very comfortable

I heard some good opinions about Spec. For what I know they are using Sachs p plates . Are confortable for daily driving.

Comment

When I first joined here I read no good about Spec clutches, but now Southbend is also no good?

Comment

imho, if SRE can't make a good clutch who can ?

The size of the company and resources that they have at their disposal and the years of experience is pretty big, compared to the other two.

I would choose SRE over Spec and Southbend. Over the years on here I read bad reports on Southbend, and even more on Spec. Don't think I've even heard of any issues with SRE. Just sayin........

I have a Southbend and a 7a flywheel on a fried ABY and it is not comfortable to drive from a 'snatchiness' point of view, I'm not driving it for the last year, as I've 'upgraded' to UrS6s. I haven't taken the S2 apart to see what the issue is, it may not be the clutch, but may advice to the op is that they should spend the money on the appropriate clutch SRE as it will work fine, and you won't have to take it back out again. That's what I hate about about a big awd car is changing the clutch or the gearbox on my driveway.

Once any financial pain of buying decent clutch is absorbed, you'll enjoy the benefits of a decent clutch working for years with no grief or concerns during that time. Don't be tempted to cheap out on quality because of a perceived high price. SRE is cheaper in the long run as it will be a case of measure twice and cut once.

Just my own tuppence / biased experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                        I was told Keith Edwards and Keith Murray of Dialynx use a Helix clutch.
                        Yes, Helix have a good name, but aren't cheap. They are worth looking at if you're going multi-plate. They are UK-based which is good for us in blighty. They also supply a metal faced release bearing at sensible price.
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

The SRE are good clutches , but bouth disks provide it , supports only 520 NM. With gt3076 the torque will be higher.

Comment

The stock AAN clutch will be fine with 500Nm. But just go with tripple Tilton to be sure.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                            Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                            BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                            BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                              Yes, Helix have a good name, but aren't cheap. They are worth looking at if you're going multi-plate. They are UK-based which is good for us in blighty. They also supply a metal faced release bearing at sensible price.
                              I contacted Helix to ask about max torque

This organic fast road clutch will take approx. 340 lbs feet of torque, maybe a bit more.

The paddle will take approx. 400 lbs feet of torque.

The paddle can be used on the road if necessary but will be quite hard, you cannot slip it in traffic and may get clutch judder upon take up, although it is ideal for race and rally.
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Spec said that stage 3+ will take about 565 lbs at the crank.

I had some bad experience with a paddle disk on my Astra Opc. The clutch didn't slipp at all and if wanted to get out from an underground parking place was a disaster .

Comment

Working...
                                X