No announcement yet.

Carbondesign RS2 lower door trims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like you I struggled to get new trims so removed all the rusty crap from the old ones and got new 316 stainless channels made by one of the local fabrication companies and bonded them in with Sika Carobond, they look perfect and wont have to bother about them rusting ever again
    1995 RS2 Nogaro
    1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
    1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

• Nice solution

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Good to hear it worked thought about cleaning the rails and bonding them into the trim with tec 7 it's worth a try !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
          You can't sell it now mate, it's your pension fund
          Too true! Or perhaps it could become a 911 fund

I have dabbled with the idea of free'ing up my driveway and some capital and moving it on. But then I have to get it partially sorted to do that, in which case why not go all the way. At the very least I want to get all the parts together to restore it, I have a bunch of parts sat in Sonic's garage, I'm in need of front wings and these damned lower door trims.

I'd be really interested in a solution like PaulJ - modifying existing sets so they last a hell of a lot longer! Any change of getting more channels made up as part of a group buy??
          AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Surely it must be possible to reproduce these in something similar to the original rubber with a channel made out of either a suitable extruded plastic or stainless? It would require a complete, undamaged set to start from and a company capable of producing them. I'd be willing to invest capital to get something put into production. It's madness that we're having to spend €1000 on a set of these which will rust just like the originals, that money could be much better spent on producing something better.
            92 Audi 80 Quattro => RS2 Saloon!
            98 TVR Cerbera 4.5
            63 Austin Mini Super Deluxe (turbocharged)
            69 Austin Mini Cooper
            71 MGB GT
            75 Daimler Vanden Plas 4.2L
            04 Kawasaki GPX250
            96 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Comment

• Hi All
              Does this look familiar to everyone, hopefully there is a picture attached
              Attached Files
              1995 RS2 Nogaro
              1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
              1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

• so the new stainless channels were now added, hopefully this will give you an idea of what they look like, rusty strips just pulled out without much effort, rust cleaned up easily and sanded clean, When the trims are on the car and rusty they kind of distort with the rust but once clean sit on top of a radiator in the house (no wife so I get away with it :-) ) they come back into shape, Last pic all painted and waiting to go back on
                Paul
                Attached Files
                1995 RS2 Nogaro
                1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

• Originally posted by PaulJ View Post
                  so the new stainless channels were now added, hopefully this will give you an idea of what they look like, rusty strips just pulled out without much effort, rust cleaned up easily and sanded clean, When the trims are on the car and rusty they kind of distort with the rust but once clean sit on top of a radiator in the house (no wife so I get away with it :-) ) they come back into shape, Last pic all painted and waiting to go back on
                  Paul
                  Good job Paul. Looks new.
                  --------------------------------------------------------
                  Real carbon parts for S2 and RS2. Check Carbondesign on facebook

Comment

• Maybe then even easier to just reproduce SS channels

Comment

• Paul, do you have any specs and costing on this?

I'd be interested in getting a few sets made and posted to me, whether you're willing to be party to that, or help out? Or with a spec I could speak to a fab shop and see if they can replicate it, and make up a batch if others want any, may bring the cost down.

If you want to start a refurb service on these I think I'd be up for that too

My set are literally falling off the car and it's a good time for me to strip them off and start prepping.

Cheers
                      Ross

Comment

• HI Ross
                        I managed to get 3 new trims some years ago, only the Drivers rear was NLA, this prompted me to look at an alternative for that door so whilst I was there I got enough made to do the whole car as we all know its a matter of time, A new one was available on a site in Germany, not Audi tradition though

What it cost me to do was £40 to get a full set of strips made from 316 stainless plus £10 for a tube of Sika carobond. He did say it was a pain to do as they could only be bent up at either side on the press break and then folded over by hand using a bar as a former and passed through a roller

The drivers side of mine has the new stainless strips bonded in front and back. I had to remove the mild steel strip from a new drivers door trim as it had started to come away but done my old one as well as the drivers door is the one that inevitably get clouted first, the eagle eyed would have noticed 5 in the pic, Could not believe that there were 34 parts plus the shell which needed painted in body colour, no wonder a respray costs a fortune !!

I can measure up and do a quick drawing of the original new channel that I have that came out one of the drivers door ones and people can use that to get ones made. Unfortunately at the moment I don't have time to do this for others as my car still needs finished but more than willing to help with advice etc,

What I did find though was that Audi do not paint their new trims with the correct primer, stightest twist or bend and the primer cracks so when I repainted them and all the other plastic parts I used plastic adhesion promoter and plasticised primer and clearcoat, basecoat is fine as its so thin,

cheers Paul
                        1995 RS2 Nogaro
                        1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                        1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

• I would like to get mine fitted to the car before offering to go back to the guy and get prices to make these for others, I hope that's ok with you http://www.s2forum.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
                          1995 RS2 Nogaro
                          1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                          1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

• Paul, if do you decide to go ahead with suppling stainless channels for the RS2 owner.. please put me down as wanting a full set .. i would be please to supply you the money upfront.
                            Norman.

Comment

• Thanks Paul

Well this gave me the motivation to touch my RS2 for the first time in over a year! I removed all the trims for assessment. They are pretty bad... one was already hanging off so I knew that!

The metal is fully corroded, unfortunately a few bits of the rubber have split as a result of the expansion. But I think they may be salvageable. The difficulty would be what can be used to repair a couple of scratches, and then painted.

I did check with Audi and as confirmed no stock for any part numbers. What's worrying is I can no longer find the front door trims on Audi Tradition, so a refurb may be the only option! I had hoped to get some new ones to compare.

If you can take some measurements that would be great, as I no longer have any original c-channel left on mine. I'll look forward to seeing how you get on with fitting, if the job is a right mare and the fab shop wouldn't take on any more, at least it'll give the confidence to find somewhere to replicate it.

Cheers,
                              Ross
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Ross, send me a pm with your number and I'll give you a call, Paul
                                1995 RS2 Nogaro
                                1971 Lotus Elan Sprint
                                1974 Lotus Elan+2S 130/5

Comment

Working...
                                X