Jack4688's S2 Avant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just found these on gumtree

Think I might have to buy them even though money is a bit tight...

Comment

I just picked up these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1510619839...84.m1439.l2649 for my MK2 Scirocco GTX T Very similar wheel to what you just found.

Comment

Nice Just started writing a thread to sell those winter wheels & snow tyres if you want first dibs Trist....

Comment

Just went for a blast, probably for the first time since owning this S2

Went over Saddleworth Moor and kept my eye out for sheep otherwise known as mobile chicanes.

Probably the last photos I'll take with the Avus alloys on. New BBS RXs go to get powder coated tomorrow and should have their brand new Dunlop SportMaxxes on by mid-week

Comment

Finally got round to doing the alloys and seats.

Had the wheels on a while ago and realised I chose too dark a shade of grey when I got them powder coated - they ended up pretty much black. So I've since plasti-dipped them a lighter grey, here's how they ended up looking:

It's only temporary but I can put up with it until I've worn out the tyres and can get them powder coated again

Yesterday I picked up the Recaro seats from the retrimmer and fitted them in the more favourable weather this morning:

Comment

Looks good mate. You sorted out the gearbox issue yet?

Comment

Well I think it's kinda gone away

Since the box was tended to in order to find the fault it's been fine, so there doesn't seem any point right now at chucking hundreds and hundreds of pounds at it!

Comment

So it must have been the linkage Thought you must have done good to break a box! She is looking good

Originally posted by Jack4688 View Post
                  Well I think it's kinda gone away

Since the box was tended to in order to find the fault it's been fine, so there doesn't seem any point right now at chucking hundreds and hundreds of pounds at it!

Comment

where abouts in west yorks are you.

I drive Oldham-marsden-meltham-holmfirth-newmill-barnsley daily for work.

Comment

I live just outside Huddersfield. Sometimes drive around Meltham/Holmfirth either to cycle or go for a drive, in fact next weekend I may be trying out a driving route including Snake Pass - if the weather isn't miserable like last weekend

Comment

Sold the snow tyres and put the Avuses back on. The thinking behind that was the snow tyres are overkill - I'm waiting for it to snow rather than putting them on at the end of autumn - and the Avuses are narrower than the BBSs. So when it snows the narrower tyres will suit better but for general winter driving there probably isn't much difference between the Dunlop SportMaxx (BBS) and Goodyear Eagle (Avus) tyres.

I didn't like the look of my Avant on the Avuses because it had been slightly lowered so I've spaced it by 15mm

Also fitted elipsoids and a hybrid mesh/original grille since my last post here. You might not be able to see it in this pic but it's a mesh grille I picked up from andyg plym with the chrome from my original, very pleased with it

Trouble is now that I've got these on with the spacers I think I prefer the look over the BBSs....

Comment

I drive on back roads for an hour at 7am to work every day (generally below freezing) and noticed a big difference with the winter tyres, despite no snow. The rubber is so much softer than regular tyres. The confidence and feedback they give me in the cold would be enough to make sure I use winter tyres every year even if I knew there'd be no snow. I guess it all depends on the roads, temps and conditions you actually use the car.

That front end looks amazing for a 20 year old car. They still look so good when done right (like yours)

Comment

Yeah I'm hoping to be able to afford some winter tyres for next year, so I'll bald these ones first.

It's amazing what a difference those lights make to the aesthetic of the car. What tyres have you got on my old Avus IIs? I didn't think much of those Goodyear Eagle F1s, especially after putting those Dunlops on my BBS wheels. I've got soooo much grip now - well up until I took those wheels off again haha

Comment

Originally posted by sidrick View Post
                              That front end looks amazing for a 20 year old car. They still look so good when done right (like yours)
                              I don't think there's any modern car I like more than the S2... I think I'll be driving a 'youngtimer classic' forever. Back in the 90s car designers hadn't yet got the idea that styling a car to be ugly just for the sake of it would sell i.e. current Ford Fiesta, allllll Renaults and Shitroens, Mazdas, even Alfa Romeos seem to look crap these days

Comment

The avant looks fantastic
                                Would be even better on the RXs though
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X