No announcement yet.

Forum Running Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still can't use the forum at 2 addresses in n. Ireland on Bt. Works fine on my 3 phone. But i get no phone reception at home.. hence the problem. Is there something I can do to test for you. Pinging the forum on Bt gets me a fast response so I don't know.

Comment

As an IT guy this thread was bugging me so i dug out an eMac from under the stairs and sure enough it was a complete disaster. So far i have found,

-Issue only seems to effect Apple macs
      -Issue has nothing to do with your internet connection
      -Issue not browser specific as i recreated it with Safari and Firefox
      -Issue is not related to the version of Java or Flash
      -Clearing browsing / DNS cache makes no difference.

May not be related but i found the heading of each block on the main page makes reference to a backround image http://www.s2forum.com/images/gradie...ient_thead.gif which is an incorrect path.

Where as the heading of each block inside a thread make reference to http://www.s2forum.com/forum/images/...ient_thead.gif

Its possible Macs may get hung up over it so can the admins please correct the path and see if it makes any difference?
      91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
      93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
      94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

Cheers

It does seem to be mac owners that are affected. Bloody strange behaviour.

I've fixed that path, any change?
        S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

Nope that wasnt the issue. Is very strange indeed, though the problem only effecting Macs dosent surprise me at all. Used to support a few thousand of them on a large network and there was always issues with them rolling out new systems, there a pain in the ****.

At the moment im suspecting its something to do the the advertisements, namely Google Syndication. It seems to randomly freeze while loading a page and do nothing for 20-30 seconds. Sometimes it will continue to load sometimes it wont. But trying to see whats going on behind the scenes with a Mac is like trying to use a computer with one hand tied behind your back!

Comment

Have you got Firebug/YSlow/etc on the Firefox on that Mac? I know it's MacOS not Firefox that seems to be the problem, but that should at least give more insight into what it can't load.
            1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
            A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

It's not just Apple related. I have problems on my pc and also my HTC phone when connected to Bt. No problem when on 3g though.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                It's not just Apple related. I have problems on my pc and also my HTC phone when connected to Bt. No problem when on 3g though.
                i found that as well tryed logging on earlyer and had no problems at all that was a 3g connection . back home on the wifi its back to not loading again this is on me iphone .
                has anyone done the software update on the iphones ever sinse i carried that out me iphone keeps crashing and dropping out when on the phone. could this be related to our problems
                never set your expectations to high that way you are never disapointed

Comment

I've removed the google ads from the homepage to test.

Let me know if there is any change.
                  S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

No different I'm afraid. Still not useable on Bt for me. I don't mind slow, but 10 mins a page is no good. Also I sometimes get cannot connect to server errors.

Again fine on 3g HTC hero 3 network. So weird. What do Bt do to **** it up. It's the same at 2 addreses on Bt for me.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                      No different I'm afraid. Still not useable on Bt for me. I don't mind slow, but 10 mins a page is no good. Also I sometimes get cannot connect to server errors.

Comment

Okay, so I've been testing with my Win 7 machine and a Fedora Linux VM. The VM is straight onto the same LAN as the Windows OS.

On both, I'm using Firefox with Firebug installed and browser cache disabled.

On Windows I'm seeing consistently normal request times.

On Linux, I'm seeing normal timings for 90% of items. A couple of items in each pageload however will take a very long time - differing items each time. Images, JS, CSS, alike.

It seems like every n'th request I make will take a long time. All the time seems to be in the "receiving" phase - ie., the HTTP response body.

Since MacOS is Unix-based, I'm guessing this is a *nix family issue. Given that the browser is the same, this hints towards something on a lower level - especially if this affects Mac and Linux, which have diverged quite a bit now.

No solutions, but hope this points you closer.
                        1993 ABY Coupe | BMW R1200 GS
                        A6 3.0 TDI Quattro (aka Sonic's 'ring support/cargo vehicle )

Comment

I installed firebug/yslow on the Mac and had a play with them. I haven't seen any issue loading/running external scripts or images. Seems to load and run each one within a second. The hang up is always the main page index file that will sit "receiving" but never receives any more data. It always seems to stop around 80% of the page, seems to coincide with loading the right hand column where you have Merchandise, Search, Awards etc. It looks like the client starts receiving the main page data (i.e. the post info), then starts to load the right hand column section of scripts/images, then returns to loading the main data and the two for sale sections and stalls. Its almost as though the server has dropped the initial request for the main page and stops sending data.

There is also an initial delay ~3 seconds before anything happens which is unusual. It does the DNS lookup, connects, then waits a few seconds before loading anything. Not sure whats going on there but i have seen strange issues with macs and IIS authentication. From memory they dont like Kerberos/NTLM requests so you have to disable windows integrated and digest authentication and use basic authentication instead. Even for sites using anonymous access.

I'm out of ideas on this one, but still curious to know what the issue is...

Comment

Im Linux and the forum is well slow used different browsers Opera, Firefox I end up viewing the forum at work just takes way to long at home

cheers Raj
                            Last edited by Rusty; 7 September 2010, 09:44.

Comment

I believe here in Germany it's generally slow, at home and at work, on different machines connected to (A)DSL..
                              No, not slow, but slower than I believe to be used to.
                              It is not quick.
                              '93 Audi S2 Avant panthero black, 412.000km
                              '94 Audi S4 C4 Avant 303Tkm, KW, Brembos, BN-Pipes, Bose, S6 front (sold)
                              '93 Audi S4 C4 Avant, 260Tkm
                              '88 Audi 100 Avant turbo 44Q
                              '84 Audi 80 quattro tornado red
                              sigpic

Comment

It's fast now on my work Windows XP machine on FF. Will check it at home again on my MBP on Safari

Comment

Working...
                                X