No announcement yet.

What mods did you regret fitting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H R on my avant were not bad at all even running 18s only removed them as too low and would occasionally catch the downpipe but that’s also now gone

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      KW V3s, the roads round here are way too bumpy.
      Man, don't say that I semi-regret installing mine. When the roads are good its superb, bad roads and its a shitshow
      https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post

Man, don't say that I semi-regret installing mine. When the roads are good its superb, bad roads and its a shitshow
        Yep. Mine came off after I hit my head on the roof on a bump that my other cars and bikes deal with no problem.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
        sigpic

Comment

Did you turn them all the way down in "softest setting" ? I havet tried that yet
          https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member...-3b-1991-coupe

Comment

Originally posted by larsaskogstad View Post
            Did you turn them all the way down in "softest setting" ? I havet tried that yet
            Yeah they got more bouncy

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

I regret:

- the delrin control arm bushings, went back to stock dealer items plus a reinforcement mod;
              - the custom S/S exhaust that omitted the resonator which prevents droning;
              - the 17" Avus wheels, too heavy, the steering wasn't as nice and the tires were way more expensive, I went back to stock15s;
              - the red H&R Coupe lowering springs where all four are the same rate. I then went to a yellow set also from H&R that differ front to rear. I've almost entirely negated the amount of lowering (except at the rear) with plastic isolator pads at both ends of the springs (on stock struts but springs are now not metal to metal in situ) and with mod'd stock top-mounts that don't collapse, so like Sidrick above, love this combo w/B8s;
              - numerous top-mounts in rapid succession, went back to stock dealer items plus a reinforcement mod; despite colour, price and labeling, all OEM style top-mounts alone are light-duty.

I blame the poor outcomes on my (at the time) youth, lack of foresight and just plain impatience.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Manufacturer's like Audi spend huge sums of money on getting the suspension correct on their cars for all reasonable driving conditions, probably more than most aftermarket suspension company's are worth outright. To think they can do better is simply absurd, though I fully admit to fitting a variety of lowering springs to my cars over the years, ruined all of them.
                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

I regret not having resonator in my exhaust - despite suggesting to the builder three times it might be a good idea.

Kit may be able to tell you just what it sounded like leaving his the other day

Comment

LOL. Yep, your car is loud!

You need either a resonator or personally I'd go for a decent quality sports Cat to get the back pressure somewhere near right again. Though it's a well made system, all the fabrication work looked good to me.

Comment

Yeah, no turbo stuffing up the tailpipe

Definitely going resonator, will try a bolt in one at some point and see how it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post

Yep. Mine came off after I hit my head on the roof on a bump that my other cars and bikes deal with no problem.
                        And now I have them... Horrible on the 3 miles of roads right next to me... as soon as I am outside Brussels, they're pretty good...

Would I do it again... not sure...
                        Last edited by LHD_Kid; 5 June 2022, 00:24. Reason: Typo
                        Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Turbo....undergoing major changes.....
                        S2 Coupe... bit easier off the line...
                        '03 ZX12-R daily hack.... lots of nice bolt ons...

Comment

My RS2 had a set of stock springs that had been lowered (about 30mm) without cutting anything off of them, I think this is done by compressing them past their elastic limit.

Not sure if it was part of the MTM conversion, I'm awaiting a response from them regarding my car's history.

Sure it made it look better but the handling was dreadful.

I rectified it by fitting a pair of stock springs from an ABY coupe to the front and a pair of stock S2 Avant springs to the rear. Totally transformed the car, went from being bumpy and unpredictable to razor sharp when combined with really good tracking/alignment.

The only aftermarket springs I've ever got on with were a set Eibach used to do for 16V MK2's, they only lowered it 10mm as 16V are already lower than 8V's, I have to say I couldn't fault these. I don't think the car handled any better than with the stock springs but it certainly wasn't worse.

Comment

Working...
                          X