X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ben,

Well thats promising!
    The carriers are matched to the discs. So all we need now is for Paul N to put his hand in his pocket and mock it up!:mischeif:

Comment

Ben U are the man - these discs will fit up a treat I reckon. I'll buy those two you have there. I might even buy the funky 8E0 carriers - what the heck - go for it. If the don't fit there is always eBay.

Can you also measure the centre hole on the 8E0 300x22 disc ?
      A photograph would be great too...

I'll PM you about money and such later - or I can bring cash to Gregs if you prefer - get me your best price guv !

I might have to this job at Greg's next week to get working rear brakes for the MOT - damned if I'm paying money for reco'd stock rear calipers.

I just might have won the big rear brake competition if this all works
      Then I'll really need to get my finger out on the 996 conversion for the front to balance it all out properly.

Paul
      Paul Nugent
      Webmaster http://S2central.net
      Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
      2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
      2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul,

Don't forget to source some longer carrier bolts and an assortment of washers. I guess you are going to have to space the carriers out to match the new location of the discs.
        If you are going to get the carriers, we can determine how far they relocate the caliper by measuring from the edge of the mounting holes to where the pads sit. It should be in the region of 80.5mm. I have based this on the fact that 269mm carriers have a dimension of 65mm. Therefore 300-269= 31. 31 divided by 2 = 15.5. So in order to accomodate a disc diameter of 300 the carrier needs a dimension of 65+15.5=80.5.
        Of course we are assuming that Audi haven't taken the opportunity to change any of the mounting spacing dimension either for the hub carrier or the caliper!

Comment

I'll do some measurements and try to get a picture.

The caliper carriers are on back order though so I can't guarantee I can get them before the garage meet.

Give me a call or drop a PM and we can sort out what bits you want to try out.

Guess I'll have to pull my finger out and wear out all my brakes so I can go one better. 300mm rears makes my 256x22mm setup seem puny.

Do you think I can 324x22 or 335x22 or even 356x28 on the back of my Avant?

Need something good to go with the 8pot 365x34 front setup I've got planned :mischeif:

Ben
          the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
          1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

Anyone have an update on this yet?

Whether the S4 300X22 rear rotor system will work on the coupe?
            Will the S4 carrier with the UrS4/6 caliper work with the 300X22 rotor?
            300X22 S4 rotor, turned down to 280X22 to work with the S8 Carrier and UrS4/6 caliper? Spacing need on this?

Greg W.
            They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

The 8E0 300x22 rotor will fit straight on - I have them on the bench. The hat height is actually lower than stock rears i.e the 8E0 rotor sits about 6mm further OUTboard.

Going by approximate measurements of the 8E0 carriers (they were on Ben's bench)... and I'll post on some photos which look very positive.

The spacing for carrier to hub is correct at ~90mm, but the spacing for the caliper bolts is too large at ~145mm to accomodate the UrS6/A8 calipers (on ~120mm from memory).

This means that 8E0 rear calipers may be needed - lord knows if the handbrake mechanism is in the right place.

Alternate schemes could cook some sort of modified 8E0 carrier with the right bolt spacing for non 8E0 calipers. Too early to say anymore about that yet !

I'll have the 8E0 carriers in my hands at the weekend and will have to bite the bullet on 8E0 rear calipers just to complete the investigation process properly.

Watch this space !

Paul

PS - If anyone knows of a 2004 or later S4 or S4 cabrio lying around - can you sneak a photograph of the rear brakes and handbrake mechanism ?
              Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Here's some photos that I have from Ben so far - the carriers are in the post !!!

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Don't they have a nice familiar look about them - I think they will bolt to the hub alright, but dunno yet if they will line up with the disc of course - details details !

Paul
                Paul Nugent

Comment

Interesting pictures Paul.

From the looks of it, the carrier is designed to be bolted to the outboard side of the hub carrier. It only has machining on one side. Bolts up just the way you have to do the S8 carrier to get it to work with the UrS4/6 caliper on the 280 rotor.

You could take a look at Ekta, and it should show you whether or not the Ebrake is center or front pull. Most of the newer Audis use a front pull. Makes it difficult to use those on a Coupe. May be easier to just turn down the rotor to 280mm.

Well keep us informed. Thanks for doing the legwork.

Greg W.
                  They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

Paul,

Its difficult to tell but clearly they are not conventional carriers. In particular that spar that braces the caliper looks similar to calipers fitted on the front of some other models!
                    As you have said the spacing looks wider and so does where the pads locate. Rather than the usual ledges the pads slide on it looks as though they have channels.
                    I'm wondering if this model used another caliper/pad combo, perhaps these new fangled electromechanical ones?

Just looked at that Russian site. Its does show an illustration of the carriers you have but the exploded diagram show a conventional carrier The pads do not seem to have the usual butterfly clips on the back. They are listing retaining clips for the pads which suports the different carriers/pads/caliper hypothesis!
                    Last edited by twoqu; 1 March 2006, 17:33.

Comment

I've only seen reference to the electromechanical handbrake mechanism on the neu RS4 - I don't think it applies to these S4/S4 Cabrio rears.

I did look at the family album for pictures, but they are so vague and generic that its impossible to learn anything new.

To be honest, as the discs are such a good fit - I'd be fairly confident about getting custom carriers made to suit the S2 rear dimensions with UrS4/S6 or A8/S8 calipers.

The 8E0 calipers are on back order - I won't see them for a couple of weeks. When I get the carriers - I'll go for a dry fit to test the land !

Paul
                      Paul Nugent

Comment

Whoa - just looked at this. Am I getting lost and excited in the brake disc jargon, or is this a rear brake conversion that can be fitted with relative ease? Please god, let it work
                        AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Paul,

The problem is that you are going to have to mock up with at least the carriers and pads. Even if the carriers bolt up and clear the disc radially, you will not be able to tell where the friction material sits. Clearly this is a new generation of calipers/pads rather than the Girling 43 and alloy Lucas ones. Accepting your reservations about illustrations it looks as though these pads have tabs that locate them on the sides.
                          I'll see if I can PM you the link so that you can have a squizz. Unless Ben has some he can take a pic of!

Comment

Right!
                            Bit of lateral thinking! Managed to get a cross reference of the pads. Typed that into Google and got this back.
                            http://www.webparts.co.uk/Brakeworld...TML/BW4062.HTM
                            If someone has the skills to repost the pad pic, that would be useful!

Comment

Paul,

I know I mentioned this before but Ford Scorpio calipers are thge same as the Audi calipers on the non vented ( early and late scorpio) but the middle period ones were vented and ths scorpio Cosworth Estate had 300mm + vented disks on the rear ( bigger than the fronts) HTH but I know you hate the thought of ford bits on your car!....

David
                              Last edited by Stick Insect; 1 March 2006, 22:57.

Comment

Mark

Race Clio RS197

S2 Coupe ABY (Green) - RIP
                                S2 Coupe ABY (Blue) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                                X